Ideas on quilting design(s)

Hi Sandy

Welcome to the group! I think your quilt is beautiful!

I am also new at longarm quilting but not to quilting. Do you have any pantographs. I would find one with flowers for all over or edge to edge.

Check out some of the other LA's website for ideas. I have looked at a lot of the websites and I haven't seen a quilt yet that I didn't like, the quilts and quilting are just awesome!

Good Luck

Char

Hi Sandy,

It is a very pretty quilt. I agree with Char, you should do some kind of edge to edge quilting. I have quilted that same pattern with the Whirly gig pantograph from Jodie Beamish (www.willowleafstudio.com) and it turned out really nice. Any kind of SID and border designs would be lost on that quilt. Just my opinion.

Patty

Hi,

I have agree that some type of design with curves or flowers would look nice. You aren't going to see alot of the stitching with the printed fabrics. For a beginner, an edge to edge design would look great.

Have you thought about thread choice? When I have a quilt that has a lot of different fabric colors in it, I tend to lean toward Signature thread Mother Goose. It is in the brown family but just seems to blend with just about anything.

Have some fun with your machine.

Charlene

Ladies you are TERRIFIC. Thank you so much for all the suggestions.

I'll tell you "if" I owned the Circle Lord I would do CIRCLES CIRCLES and more CIRCLES all over the quilt ... I love that look. Alas, I don't own it or anything else (it'll be awhile). I've only been PPPing for 3 weeks .. that's how new I am.

Now don't laugh ... I own 2 spools of thread (purple & black). So since I have alittle time I plan to order thread and yes I love the Mother Goose color ... it hides in any quilt.

Thanks so much for posting the photo .... I like the curvie look. I found a panto of what resembles ocean wave in some quilt batt but boy it is hard to do .... they look square. Need lots more PPPing.

When I finish (before June) I'll come back and post. A friend told me you guys were friendly and helpful .... that is so true. Thanks Again.

Dixieqwv,

I agree with the panto idea. The body of the quilt is pretty

busy with the fabric. But I love those borders. I would have

to handle those separately.

I went to a Pam Clarke class and learned some terrific

border treatments. She has several inexpensive owrkbooks

which train your brain (by drawing pencil on paper) how to do

designs. That might be a good start on filling up your

toolbox. I love her border called E's and L's. You chalk lines

1 inch apart (she has a template for this but not required)

and then you will lower-case cursive elelel so it is a tall loop

followed by a short loop 1 inch apart; short,tall,short, tall.

It sounds simple and it is but it reallyt looks nice.

You can see this treatment on the left side of the photo of

the back of a quilt I did recently.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=439776799&photoID=2701572510027467058&security=xOqEJf

Good luck and you must post the finished product. That's

how we all learn. OK?

I love flannel quilts. I quilted a 90" x 100" Snails Trail quilt using Warm & Natural with an all over design. I was very happy the way it turned out. One thing I would have changed was the batting. It quilted beautifully, but was very heavy. Up until this quilt, most of my flannel quilts were lap or throw size where the weight was not as noticable. The large quilt would make a nice bedspread type quilt, but would be heavier than I like to sleep under. I think Warm & Natural now has a 30/70 batting that I think I will use next time I do a large quilt.

Archived