LEQ Crosshatch circles -nevermind

Hi everyone.

It's been a long time since I have posted because I just haven't had time to do any quilting in a very long time. This last week I have put forth a great effort and got a quilt on the frame. It's a personal quilt so I am practicing. I was going to cross hatch part of this quilt and I have been using the 14" cross hatching ruler. I am having a little trouble with it because it is too long at keeps hitting the bars. So anyway, being a gadget girl, I went online to buy one of those great magnifyers Heidi posted the other day and came across these crosshatch circles. The discription said for making perfect cross hatching. I thought perfect! because they are small. However, they didn't come with instructions and I can't figure out how to use them.... ha ha.

Has anyone ever used them and can you give me a hint. TIA

-------------------

edited to add: Never mind, I just found a demonstrative video.

Here is the link to the video I found, in case anyone else runs into this problem :) ..

Too bad for me because I don't have channel locks so I am going to have to try these freehand with a ruler.. I don't think it will be too bad because I have been practicing my diaginals with the cross hatch ruler.

I will post a picture when I am done.

http://www.thequiltingschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:t-cc&catid=26:linda-taylor&Itemid=41

Thanks Heidi, it felt really good. I need the therapy. Both of my parents are very sick and its been a hard year. I am in the process of getting 24/7 in home health care so time should be freeing up for me soon.. (crossing my fingers :))

Now I am itching to give these cute little rulers a try, but I think they will have to wait for my next quilt. It is a quilt that my grandma pieced blocks for ions ago and my mom had stashed for 40 years. She gave them to me and I appliqued them on muslin. That is why I wanted crosshatching practice because I think that is how my grandmother would have done it... I guess that is TMI, ha ha sorry.

Oh by the way, thanks for them Heidi. It is all your fault because you posted that picture of the clamp on magnifyer. I just had to have it :P .. and I am really loving it :D

Originally posted by roberta

Oh by the way, thanks for them Heidi. It is all your fault because you posted that picture of the clamp on magnifyer. I just had to have it :P .. and I am really loving it :D

Hey I get in enough trouble on my own...I don't need any help!!!! I'm glad you are getting back to some quilting and I hope it works out with your parents. That is exhausting!

Roberta, I hope you get things settled with your parents. I am sorry to hear they are both ill. Hope what you get set up works well and is best for all of you! I love hearing the stories behind old quilts! It is not TMI for me! I would love to hear more! I think that's neat that you are quilting it like you think your grandma would have!! Blessing to you! linda

Roberta, thanks for posting this. I bought them at MQS and totally forgot how to use them:D:D:D. I watched the video and am ready to give them a whirl, so to speak. I couldn't remember what they were supposed to do:D. Thanks again.

Georgene, I too purchased them at MQS. They are also kinda loose on my hopping foot. But, all should be ok. I'm thinking as long as they are gliding across a ruler, and not popping off, we should be fine.

I havent used mine yet, but did try them out on a practice piece.

I was also wondering if Linda knew that our 1/4" hopping foot was probably made a tad differently than the Gammill machines foot. Maybe their outside is a tad thicker.

Any Gammill owners out there? Or, maybe someone who has an APQS and a Gammill?

Thanks everyone!

I have only tried 2 of the circles so far and they are very snug. There are probably some slight variations.

Linda - I will post a picture when I am done. I am hoping soon. I also have another quilt that I am making from another set of blocks that my grandmother made and my mom had in a closet for years. I still have to figure out how to put it together. It is really interesting to see how she did these blocks. The one I am going to cross hatch is a rocky road to Kansas block. You can tell she didn't use templates and all the seams are all uneven. I mean the cuts aren't straight and there was definetly no 1/4" measured, but the blocks are all the same size. Very interesting. The other blocks are a 9 patch and all the fabric came from the late 1800's. It's really dark with some yellow. It is so fun and exciting to have these blocks. I also have one other quilt she made that is a velvet crazy quilt. It is tied and the backing is an old silk blanket. It is very pretty. Maybe I will get it out and post a picture for you. This one is pretty old and the fabric is pretty worn in spots though..

I will try to post it tomorrow. I have to take the picture in the morning to get the right light in my room.

It is crazy how people used to quilt. My mom showed me using a card board template when I was a little girl. I can't imagine making a quilt that way. The patience they had! My mom told me when she was growing up my grandmother had a quilting frame the hung from her ceiling. In the evenings they would move the furniture, pull the frame down and sit around and quilt. How cool is that!

Roberta,

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed your story about learning to quilt. Remember along with using cardboard templates, electricity was either new to them or nonexistant. I can't imagine what is was like using a treadle sewing machine and candles or kerosene lamps.

I can't wait to see pictures of your grandmother and your quilt.

Charlotte

wow thanks for sharing the story. anxiously awaiting the finished products. My gram sewed and quilted with the frame from the ceiling. that was how they had time to visit with each other. they would travel from home to home. She was so happy to get a treadle machine and electric lights. she neved did get an electric stove didn't think an electric one would cook right. wonder what they would think of microwaves

Archived