French Bread - Quilt Cut

Boni

One of my favorites is Black Bean with Polish Kilbasa Sausage! However, I really like white chili too. And yet, I really like just plain old split pea with smoked ham. I guess I'm hopeless--Soup is a big item in this household all year round. I make Mung Dal too! Better not count my vote---I'll just bring the breads!

AnnHenry :D:D:D

Next time my friend comes I'll have her show me again and I'll do a sequence photo collage. I was so busy that day, I didn't take time to practice, the loaves are wrapped and in the freezer or else I'd get them out and lay it out. She started with a diagonal cut, then turned the knife and did two more cuts from the opposite direction, then alternated down the loaf like a braid. I wasn't there when she cut the squares in the middle and I wasn't there when she cut the second loaf. She just left them for me already cut. It was day old bread and very heavy, that's why it was easy to cut. I suppose fresh baked and lighter texture would be a challenge. Also, the knife she used had a very sharp tip to be able to cut into the loaf. She used objects like knives and such to prop up the cuts so they wouldn't just fall apart before the picture. Normally she doesn't cut all the way through, but leaves it still attached at the bottom so it holds together until served. You drizzle butter, maybe with garlic, all over the cut slices, wrap in foil, and heat in the oven. Serve with hot soup or stew. yum

Archived