Is there a big difference between So Fine & Bottom line for bobbin thead

Hi everyone,

I have a dilema. I started a quilt thinking that I had enough bobbin thread for it. I 'm using Superior So Fine in the top and bobbin. But I didn't have enough So Fine for the bobbin and now the quilt that I need to finish is half done on my frame (no I don't have zippered leaders - my next investment). Here's my question. Can I use Bottom Line for the other half of the quilt in the bobbin or would it be better to wait until my shipment with the So Fine comes in at the END of next week ? Would there be a big difference in the appearance.? Just to let everyone know, this quilt is a quilt shop sample that drove me nuts with the outside wonky borders. I changed my quilting plan as I worked on it and did a much denser quilting to help with the borders - I should have planned better! Bad me!Just wanted to know others thoughts.

Thanks much

Roseann Noll

There is a visible difference between the two - not huge, but definite - and with a quilt shop sample, I don't think I would switch threads mid-quilt. Are there other longarmers in your general area? Maybe someone has a partial spool of the So Fine color that you need - we all share when we can!

Good luck!

I use both Sew Fine and BL in the bobbin all the time. I would use BL for the other half if the color is the same. You may need to adjust your tensions a tad...so practice on the side of the quilt first.

Is the back busy?? If so, you really won't notice anyways.

Just read Barb's post. There you have it, 2 different answers. She is right about the look, but I would still do it if the back is busy. But then again, Barb has a point...if this is going to get you more possible work, then you would want it to be the same.

I don't really know if I helped, hope I didn't confuse you.

Okay first off you didn't mention if this your personal quilt or one for a customer (shop). If its your own (we sometimes make samples for our own shops) and a busy back I wouldn't blink an eye and just do it, as Kristina stated no one will really see it on a busy back as long as its the exact color.

HOWEVER, its for a shop, busy back or not I would first call explain the sitation (also explain on a busy back....) And let them dictate where you go from here. Also is it going to hang from a wall or are people going to touch it.... Make the call and see what they say...bet they will say go for it.

If this is going to generate more money for you...you want it to be your best work.

Originally posted by NollR

Just to let everyone know, this quilt is a quilt shop sample that drove me nuts with the outside wonky borders. Thanks much

Roseann Noll

I would never change types of thread in the middle of a quilt, no matter who it is for. Like the others have said, there is a visible difference in these two threads. You should see if there is a quilter in your area that might have what you are using so you can finish the quilting.

By the way, I never plan...with the exception of the quilt I am getting ready to do. I usually let the quilt "speak to me".

Thanks for all the advice. Hope someone else can learn by this. I'll just wait until the brown truck rolls in here and work extra hard next weekend to get it done the right way!

Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend! It's supposed to be beautiful here anyways (I want to spend it outside with the family). That's one of the perks of a home business (you can make your own schedule!)

Thanks again!

Roseann

Heidi,

Guess we'll have to buy a few cones at a time. I think we should put in a request for Bob at Superior to offer So Fine in Jumbo Cones for certain colors like they do for Bottom Line thread. When you use it in the bobbin for large quilts it goes fast!!

Sandra,

We like it here, it's a pretty area and safe to raise a family. Luckily my husband has a good secure job for the area. Plus it's close to his alma mater PSU so they can go to the games on Saturdays! :cool:We've been here all our lives, (but I dream of the Carolina's someday )away from the cold winters!)

Roseann

Archived