Moon Over Mountain quilt - finished w/ pic

I have a Moon Over Mountain quilt to do for a customer. She only wants to pay for overall, but I can't for the life of me come up with an overall that will look good and not take away from the piecing. I would be willing to do a little more, as this is a repeat customer and she will show it off at Sat. Morning Sampler at the LQS where there are about 125 in attendance so good advertising, but don't want to spend too much time on it.

Any ideas? Any links to ideas?? Links to pics of MOM quilts?

Thanks in advance.

post--134619026897_thumb.jpg

What size are the blocks and will a block fit in the quilting space on your machine frame entirely? I ask because I wonder if you could do some all over freehand style work with a different design in the different areas. One design in the moons, another in the mountain and the third in the sky. Using the same thread throughout but changing the design style without starts and stops, would that be the same work effort as she is asking, but a better look that you are wanting?

Good luck. I hope you can find something that will do this justice, pay you the right amount for the work and be something to WOW the folks at the show and tell session.

Boni, you got a better result from Google than I did. Thanks.

Madelyn, Thanks for that idea. I will have to think a bit on what I could do in the different areas, but it might just work. the block is 'approximately' 12" square, so, yes, it will fit in my quilt area all at once. Thanks.

Anyone else??

Somehow the block seems so geometric -- I wonder if wispy clouds as an overall would be interesting and do-able. If you do any custom -- I would play with ideas to make the moon stand out, eg. curved crosshatch or SID edges. Also could do multiple circles over the whole quilt, if you have a circlemaker.

Another idea, I see there is a thin white inner border and a wide dark outer border. The center blocks could be done with an overall; SID the inner border; and, use a coordinating contrasting thread to create a border design that shows well and adds interest to the quilt. (don't have ideas of what pattern to use -- perhaps someone else would have a thought.)

If all she wants is an E2E I think different kinds of leaves would work. If she's willing to let you do more you could SID all the moons and mountains and borders. Then do a cloudy meander across all the backgrounds treating them all as one piece, something like Water World would give a good effect Then do a smaller stipple in the moons, and a very geometric jagged type meander in the mountains would give that the rocky look. You could do them all in the same thread and just the SID and change in textures would define the elements, and do it with no stops and starts. Just change patterns as you work your way through.. A larger jagged meander in the borders would frame it out. Don't know if that would make for wavy borders but you could adjust the sizes to prevent it.

Archived