Need help with cross hatching,

sure could have used these instructions BEFORE I started the pansy quilt still don't know how to make sure the ticks are in the right place as far as how far apart to make them. does that make sense?

Bonnie I will pay in advance for your book!!! You have saved my bacon more times than you will ever know. Thanks for the picture, it helps tremendously. Can hardly wait to meet in person. hope you don't have to knock our dear sweet Linda on her can. Perhaps you guys could have joint custody:D

Originally posted by Bekah

Can hardly wait to meet in person. hope you don't have to knock our dear sweet Linda on her can. Perhaps you guys could have joint custody:D

She has asked and I told her no...so then she told me I would have to come get it, cuz she wasn't sending it back...nanner nanner nanner.... WELL, I just showed her I called and got a ticket.....so there miss smarty Linda...now you have a couch potato on your hands.;):P;):P

Will post pics soon, but I own 2 sets of hatching rulers rom Linda Rech.

One set, for regular 90 degree crosshatch and another set that I just used on Stars in My Garden quilt. that makes the diamond hatching. They are both very easy to use. I just love them. I used my drapery tool from Hancocks to make my marks and that made it even easier.

I would highly recommend either or both if you do crosshatch or diamond hatch.

Bonnie, in your instructions for cross-hatching, would you advise to SID the small border first (which I hate because I can never make a straight line even w/a ruler) - (could be the ruler I am using) or do another design and then cross-hatch. Oh, wait, let me read that again. No, it sounds like you do a different design rather than SID. Correct me if I am wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I do a lot of XH and have done it various ways. Bonnie's drawing gives you a pretty efficient way to do a border. Remember that you can always stitch in the ditch to get to your next starting point.

Personally, if I'm doing XH, I'm also going to SID the borders, sashing, etc. It gives a clean, crisp finish and helps you if you need to travel to a different spot.

One other word of advice, is to go bigger rather than smaller when you're first starting out. XH takes a lot of time and effort and you don't want to start doing 1" or 3/4" inch only to realize it will take FOREVER to finish. You could start with 2", then decide if you want to go smaller to 1".

Also, make sure your corners are square if you're going to start in a corner. If you are off just a tiny bit, you will be off all the way across.

Hope that helps.

Archived