Need help with cross hatching,

I want to do cross hatching on a quilt border, But I don't know where to start.

Do I start with a 45 degree measurement on the corner of the quilt and go from there, and start marking?

And if so do I do this all the way a cross the quilt top or do I have to fine the center and then start from the center out.

The border is 5 inches and the quilt is 68x86.

Also can I mark as I go.

Thank you in advance.

This quilt will take some time to do. As so as I get it done I will post pictures.

There isn't a right way or a wrong way its what works for you, and this is my "Works for ME":

Say we have a wide border, and there is a sashing then the body of the quilt....no cross hatchin in the sashing a design goes there and a different design of some sort in body so we are only talking the wide border.

I measure the outer side of the sashing and divide it equally... some may have a 4 inch cross hatch some will have a 2 inch cross hatch so use what works best for the space.... and I then mark my ticks along that edge....using a chalk marker or a blue erase again depends on what I need to get the job done.

I now have Linda's cross hatch rulers ( http://www.topperquilttools.com ), but before I would take a piece of heavy cardboard and make a 45 degree cut and leave the flat side so I could run it along the edge of the quilt and the 45 degree mark would match up to my tick marks...I would then either run my sewing machine down the line of the cardboard or I would mark with chalk and follow it with the needle and zig zag the length of the top and bottom. TURN the quilt and then do the two sides. If yo have it marked before you load the quilt and you know that the ticks are good and you won't need to change them I now with the Linda and Den rulers I sew the sides as I go down.

i hope I didn't confuse you more than you were.

Another 2cents worth, I ran some blue painter's tape down each ruler after measuring 3/4 of an inch so that when I move to the next line I line up the tape with what I just sewed and with the 1/4 inch added from the foot I get a perfect 1" spaced line, when I go the opposite way I get a perfect 1" crosshatch square. I'll bet this is just clear as mud but I like to mark the ruler rather than the quilt if possible...

Vicki

Yolanda,

I love cross hatching and I can get a little carried away with it ,LOL. I always try to go with a width that is evenly divided into both borders. In your case you have even numbers so you can go with 1/2", 2", 4" or whatever and you should come out pretty even. The way I get started is to mark the 45 degree line on the first corner of the border I'm doing. Then I go off that line all the way around. I don't like to keep turning so if I can avoid it I do. Bonnie gives very good advice with marking the tic marks all around. That gives you a target and you can just match them up as you go no matter what tool you use. I go all around one direction and then go the other. I have both the Topper and The Quiltazoid and both have cross hatching templates so I now use that instead of marking. Tools can be your friend. Just find the one that works best for you!

Thank you Heidi,

I was hoping to start at the fist corner, but I wasnt sure if that was the way to do it.

I'll get started frist thing in the morning.

I too love the cross hatching look. So I am hoping I will be able to do it.

Bonnie, Vicki, Heidi

Thank you for your help.

Yolanda

Yolanda, once you have the tic marks in place you can start WHEREEVER your little heart wants to start....there isn't any fast and perfect rules here, its what works for you. I usually start in the upper left hand corner and work across in a zig zag method that way I can get both hatches done in one pass for each line (less starts and stops for me) AND when I get to the bottom border I start in the lower Left hand corner and reverse the zig zag...you will have to do this several times to fill in the whole border, but if you want to do one direction and then come back and do the other...its what works for you.

post--13461902570605_thumb.jpg

I rarely chime in here, but I'm about to confess something. After almost five years of doing this I have never cross hatched anything. If asked to do it I always feign ignorance, and either talk the customer into choosing something else or refer them to a woman that is a cross hatching queen. However she's not doing custom anymore so I suppose I should buckle down and try this.

My question is, do you all turn your quilts after the top and bottom borders when cross hatching?

(I think I need a blushing smiley here!)

Originally posted by suzakel

I rarely chime in here, but I'm about to confess something. After almost five years of doing this I have never cross hatched anything. If asked to do it I always feign ignorance, and either talk the customer into choosing something else or refer them to a woman that is a cross hatching queen. However she's not doing custom anymore so I suppose I should buckle down and try this.

My question is, do you all turn your quilts after the top and bottom borders when cross hatching?

I don't think you are alone. Really I think people are scared of it! I don't usually turn my quilt for it but I have a large quilting area. Now that I use the Quiltazoid for my cross hatching I don't need to turn it. I just roll forward as I need to.

Originally posted by suzakel

Suz...no I don't turn my quilt anymore either...after now feeling comfortable about my tic marks, I cross hatch as I go down the quilt... If you feel better doing it this way, then do it ... if you feel your going to get a better result by turning the quilt then turn... I would get uneven hatches at first, but with practice and patience with myself, and tons of confidence. Its whatever works for you.

Originally posted by Joyce

Bonnie is this the weekend that you fo to see Linda?? If so have a great time and thanks for the crosshatching pictures. Joyce

No I leave October 16th to return the 18th.....can hardly wait. My red and white quilt is in Innovations, and she claims that she is keeping it...so another reason to go out..I will expect to have to knock her on her can to get my quilt back.:cool:

Bonnie, I too want to thank you for posting the picture. When I first read your instructions I was unclear what you meant by zig zags, your picture made it perfectly clear!!!:D I'm a real newbie - got my LA 3 weeks ago and have only tried a few simple pantographs. Looking foward to spending more learning time and branching out. Thanks to you and all the wonderful people on this forum, I think I might just be able to quilt a decent design in the future. You are all wonderful inspirations. Dar:P

Archived