Don't do this with your car

With all the warm weather, cities are re-stripping their roads using white or yellow paint and many do not block or barricade these areas once they're painted. Well, I drove over some stripping on the freeway that apparently was wet which splattered all along the passenger side of my car - huge big areas of textured paint down the whole side, thrown up over the doors, up the back, inner fender wells turned white, mud flaps all white, bottom of passenger side all white - it even went up inside the door jams. The car had 1200 miles on it. And I didn't notice it for a couple of days since I never get out the passenger side and had no clue this had happened - I didn't drive through any barricaded areas.

So be careful on our freeways, if it looks like new paint - don't change lanes, don't drive over it - be careful. Don't want this to happen to anyone else....Mercedes (Oh, it wasn't the benz)

Mercedes,

Oh I had that happend but thankfully noticed right away and the garage power washed it right off. I'm so sorry you had this happen, that would make me sick. You should check with your insurance company because that is a road hazzard and they may cover it on your auto policy with a very small deductable. Mine is $50. You might be able get it buffed out.

Mercedes--my sis works in the claims department of the Washington State DOT. She processes claims all day long and answers the phone to direct people as to the process to file a claim. Document exactly where and when this happened and file a claim. They have a very complete record of all construction including striping projects and the damage to your car is probably covered by the striping company's insurance. If it was a State project, you will get a settlement for sure--especially if there were no signs posted. If you talk to Susan, that's my sis!:)

I've turned it into my insurance company. Problem is I don't know where it happened because I never in a million years would have thought paint on the freeway would be wet and if it was, I would have expected a barricade or cones or something to warn drivers not to change lanes. I assume the insurance company will try to recup if they can.

To make matters worse, my car is black - of course with white paint. Mercedes

The same thing happened to our quad cab pick-up truck this summer. Ours happened on a secondary (state maintained) country road just outside of the town where we live. We couldn't believe that there were no warning signs. We just happened to come up behind the state truck that was doing the painting. My husband stopped and complained to the workers and they gave him a name and phone number to call and they took his information. We had to get 2 estimates from state approved body shops to send in. It took about a month, but we got a check from them to cover the removal cost. The truck looks great!

Archived