Making a bracelet from Typewriter keys???

I saw some at the MN quilt show, but they were well over $100 ....... so I tell a friend of mine about this, who goes to all of these sales and such - the next day she finds me an old Typewriter in great shape with very pretty black keys with white letters....

Now what?

I did do a google search, but the only instructions that came up were where you glue them to a bracelet blank. I would think it would be better to solder them...???

Have any of you done this?? or have any better ideas???

Miss Shana - Thanks for the links - you are so computer savy!!!

Cheryl - Watch parts? That's a good idea too - those shiney & tiny little sprokets (sp?) are so pretty!!

I know - as if I need any new projects, but it gets ya' thinking though! .... hmmmm......

There used to be a couple ladies who made the craft show circuit around Cleveland/Akron area. They were a couple of retro hippie gals and their name was "Jewelery with Attitude". They explained that the jewelery had the attitude; not them!! hahaha :P:P Anyway, they used to take apart old, broken costume jewelry and make new earrings, pins, pendants, etc out of the stuff. It all turned out beautiful!! I have not seen them lately, but I do know they used a special jewelery glue to hold everything together.

I've never, in 10 years, had anything fall apart.:D:D

I looked on ebay and there are auctions even for just the keys, soon you won't be able to find these old critters at yard sales!

Almost a shame to try and take this one apart, it is so clean and "new" looking! My girls keep playing with and trying to type..... funny to watch them! I always had to use the erase end of a pencil in order to push down hard enough!!

I bought a couple of these bracelets years ago at PIQF...they are glued to bracelet blanks but I've been careful with them so no problems. One says PATCHWORK! and the other says MOREFABRIC? Oh how I wish I had also bought the one that said FATQUARTER. How many quilty sayings can we all come up with? Nancy in Tucson

Those are good!!! I have been thinking what words I am going to use..... My husband said to put my his nickname and mine with the "&" in between.... But then I won't be able to do "QUILT" but I will have to see what else I can come up with!!

Thanks for all of the info here - I LOVE this forum!! I get SO many ideas!!!:cool:

Originally posted by Judi

....My husband said to put my his nickname and mine with the "&" in between.... But then I won't be able to do "QUILT"....

Yes you can! Just go buy another typewriter and rip the keys off. Plenty more letters then for words and then you can make "QUILT" and your DH nickname & Judi too

Archived