Econozoid question

In the gadgets forum, I saw a brief discussion on the Econozoid vs the Quiltazoid. The price is certainly attractive. I was planning to (hopefully) get the Quiltazoid at MQS 2010. Now I am wondering if I could do with the Econozoid, and get it for Christmas. How often do those with the Quiltazoid actually use the Spiro attachment? When I initially looked at Quiltazoid, I didn't think I would use the Spiro attachment much, but then, I don't really know what all it does. Since I am a new longarm quilter, I don't have enough experience to know what I want, as yet. I do want to be able to do circles, clamshells, crosshatch, curved crosshatch, and feather wreaths. I prefer working from the front of the machine. Do you Quiltazoid owners use the spiro attachment enough to warrant the extra $400 it adds to the cost?

I use the spiro quite a bit. I find it useful for all sorts of blocks. would go with the QZ if it were me...but the cost is terrific on the EZ. Adam does offer an upgrade policy to go from the EZ to QZ. The main unit has to be returned and then upgraded...but the option is there.

The Econozoid can certainly do circles, eccentric circles, tracing templates such as the feathered wreaths and more.

The Quiltazoid is capable of the spiro attachment for making spirographs. There are over 600 spiro designs it is capable of.

Lynn,

Kristina is correct on all counts. I didn't think I'd use the spirograph much but because you can do celtic like designs and such I find myself thinking more that way. The Econozoid will allow you to use templates, do circles, clamshells, crosshatch and so on. Because the Spirograph attachment adds over 600 designs I would say yes it is worth the additional money.

I have the same question...is the QZ really worth the extra money? Looks to me like the spiro would be great for block quilting, but the vast majority of the ones I get don't require that. I have to make the decision in the next couple of weeks.

I do all my quilting from the front unless forced to do otherwise; my pantos are gathering dust and welcome to do so!

Barbara, I wonder if you will grow into more block and custom quilting if you have had the chance to use the QZ and spiro on your own, or other special quilts. If customers are able to see what else you can do, they may be bringing you their very special quilts to do to.

Disclaimer: I don't do customer quilts, and use George, not a long arm.

I've been having a lot of fun with the spirograph attachment. It's not for every quilt but I'm thinking of ways to use it in a lot of different areas. Heidi mentioned the Celtic designs you can create. I've found that some of the designs look like flowers. I'm thinking of using them on a GFG quilt. You can change the whole look of a design by stippling down parts of it to make other parts pop. Some of the designs look like they would be great for Ink-lique. It really gets your imagination going.

Holly you are so right. You have to learn to look at things differently and come up with new ways to use it. I love to quilt the design and then embellish it. The nice thing about the spirograph is that you get designs as small as 3 - 4" to as big as 15". You can also use it as an all over by simply butting the designs together and then filling in with a smaller design in the empty corners. Not to mention that if you change the pin settings you can come up with even more designs.

Archived