UPS what sort is suitable

I have a Millenium with an Intelliquilter. I recently bought a UPS to safeguard against drops in power that occur regularly in my area. I charged the battery for 48 hours then started quilting a design as usual. Whilst the computer was quilting away I turned the power off at the wall to see what would happen when the battery kicked in. The IQ kept going OK but the Millie seemed to go haywire taking tiny little stitches.

I am in Australia so our machines have to work through a transformer to convert the current but I don't think that has anything to do with it. The UPS I bought is rated 1000va/600w. Does anyone know if what I bought isn't big enough? Or don't they work with APQS?

Thanks

Toni Trott

My hubby who is a computer guru says that the Millie is drawing more power than what is available from the UPS, it will run a computer, but not the Millie as well.

I also am in SE Queensland and he has my Millie on a UPS that has 50% more power than yours. He says that I would still not be able to quilt with it if the power failed. It is only for protection should a powere surge hit the house.

A UPS just keeps the power at a constant voltage so that you can power down your computers etc.

Lyn

Hi Toni,

I did the maintenance course this year and the manual we were issued has this info in it. I will make a copy of it and drop it in on Tuesday sometime, if I cannot get it scanned onto my computer this weekend.

Amy talked about a UPS from SmartKing Model SMK-1500A and Model SMK-2000A. Whatever brand you do get will have to have a pure sine wave output.

Cheers,

Hi Toni

If you go to this link , http://www.compuquilter.com/node/1264 you can read about a suppressor that should work very well for you. I have tried to chase these up in Australia, without any luck.

The power that the Milli draws is quite small but the UPS' we can easily get in our shops Tandy, Dick Smith and the like are not suitable. They will work for the computer though.

If you need any further help, email me or give me a call.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

APQS Australia

Compuquilter Australia

Archived