Long Arm Purchase

I'm am contemplating the purchase of a long arm machine for my personal use. I don't intend on starting my own business and can't make the investment in an APQS machine (although it would be my first choice based on comments here in the forum). I'm new to quilting, but have been a seamstress for 30 years. I've been looking at the Viking Mega Quilter on the Inspira frame which retails in the $3K range with cruise control stitch regulator-- any comments, input, experience with these products?

Thanks in advance!!

Breezy

I would really look at throat space for quilting. If it is just like a Juki TL98 you will not be happy for long. I purchased a used Ultimate 2 that is 10 years old. I love it. I paid 4300 so it's not much more than what you are thinking of paying. I do not have a stitch regulator but I am not having any trouble keeping the stitches reasonable. It is a 12 foot table and it does take quite a bit of space. When people come over mine is in my living room because that is the only decent sized room in my house. People don't wonder if I love quilting. I still have room for my couch. Ha Ha Good luck in your search. I did the same thing you are doing but I am so glad I picked the Ultimate 2. It is a straight forward machine. There are not lots of computerized things to go out on it. I expect it to last me the rest of my quilting life. There are some Ultimate 2's for sale on this site check it out. I don't have any of the newer features like a thread cutter or a needle up but I wouldn't trade any of it for a mid arm machine.APQS used to have some listed but they don't seem to have any listed anymore. Throat space for quilting is the name of the game if it's just a mid sizeed regular machine you are going to be wishing you got a real long arm very soon after you spend all of that money. I don't think a set up like that would heold it's value like a long arm. I know I could resale mine and not lose any money. Check it out it's a big purchase. Cheryll

I couldn't help but jump in here with my two bits worth as I have just went through the experience. A year ago I sort of impulsively purchased a Janome 1600 with a Super Quilter frame, because I just never imagined I would be able to get a "real" longarm. This Janome has a slightly longer arm than the domestic machine so I thought I had died and gone to heaven.......... well! much the opposite....... I spent all summer last year trying to use it and convince myself that it would do the job...........tension was a constant problem.......the table was a problem because if you wanted to extend it to 12 ft from 6 you had to slide the track back and forth every time you did a new row..........the actual working area for quilting is very limited..............I know that many women are using these set-ups, but I just couldn't get it to do the trick for me so decided to try and sell the set-up and put the money towards something a little better, which was likely going to be a Handi Quilter16, but while I was in my frustrations went to see the local APQS dealer ( last August) and tried her machine, never dreaming that I could afford one of those, and I came away saying that machine was wonderful to operate.. she had a used Ultimate that she was trying to sell me and I may have been interested except that the table was not a suitable length for me........time went on and while I was waiting to hear from the HQ16 dealer ( which I never have to this day) Connie ( the APQS rep) called me wondering how it was going, and that day was the turning point for me......... she convinced me that the APQS machine was "the best" but wasn't actually trying in any way to pressure me to buy one......... while I was talking to her that day I made the decision that I would get one if it took me 5 years to save the money......

I took delivery of a new millenium a month ago and I can say that I know I will never be sorry.........it is an awesome machine.......... the thing is, that whatever machine you start with, there is a huge learning curve, and I don't regret what I learned from the first machine, but it just wasn't for me.......

hope this helps

Cheryl S.

oh I totally agree!!! I purchased a Pfaff Hobby Quilter and Inspira a year ago and have never been so frustrated. tension trouble all the time and now I am trying to figure out how to afford a long arm as this is truly my desire and was at the time. I plan on trying to start a business so that is one reason the other setup just doesn't work for me. If I were sewing just for myself, it would probably be okay but even then I am not truly happy

Thank you all so much for your input!! In my mind, I keep coming back to the limited throat space of the Janome, Pfaff and Viking. I live in Houston, so I think since I have waited this long, what is another few months till the next quilt festival? Till then, I will keep checking this site for used machines. Thanks again for all your help!!!

breezy

Have you considered a GEORGE. Its an APQS longarm machine on a "domestic" table.

Information about George is on this website. I believe lots of people are taking George home and loving having him around!

Sue in Australia

Hey Breezy,

Cost was a big issue with me. I do run a business with a "Mid-arm" machine, that only cost me $2850 and it has a 10ft. table. It has been great! I have done about 60plus quilts in less than a year, and I too was looking at the 9 x 6 machines. I am glad that I went up in size. I actually have more quilting space than a Liberty! I have about 15 in. of quilting space with my 17" throat space. The Liberty has a 20 in. but only gets about 13 in. quilting space. You need to look into all your options first. If you are just doing it for yourself, I would say that keeping the cost down and getting a decent size throat is your main focus. I am looking to upgrade now, but only because I have such great amount of business. Email about my machine if you would like!

I have the Mega Quilter on the 10 foot Inspira Frame. I have done about 25 quilts on it. I bought that as I thought it would be easier to use than the one my DH built for me on an xy frame using an old Minnesota 1920 machine that had a long bobbin and shuttle. He made me the Hinterberg Frame from the kit they sell for $50. He built the rolling table that held the xy movement with the machine on it but everytime I wanted to move further down the quilt I had to move the table. It was a good solution at the time. The Mega quilter was a little easier, I mainly did pantographs with laser light that came with it. It served its purpose but I wanted more area to do a large design without breaks, never could get back exactly on line. When APQS had a demo in Syracuse New York we went and bought the Millenium. It is set up and I have done three quilts so far. These are all my own tops. I doubt if I will ever be good enough to do for anyone else. I still have fifteen tops to do. I like the idea that the machine rolls the quilt for me. The hardest part is getting the quilt set up and deciding what kind of quilting I want to do on it. I have all the books and designs I will ever need, its my obsession. I don't do much else, still working on an idea to control the batting under the machine. We may make a pole arrangement that can roll out from underneath. There is a batting pole on the mega quilter. For someone who justs wants to quilt for themselves the Mega Quilter is not that bad a price. In 1960 I paid $300 for a Singer 401A best machine they ever made. In 1975 I paid $600 for a Futura for the stretch stitch. In 1993 I paid $1000 for a Singer 9900 with an embroidery attachment. I also bought an Espree embroidery machine for $600 and then in 2001 bought an Ellageo for $3500 and in 2004 Bought a Designer 1 for $6200 and then in 2004 traded up to a Designer SE $8500 plus loads of software. So the Millenium may be my last sewing machine at $16800. So you see the prices kept going up but in 1960 we made $100. a week. I paid that machine off $10 a month. Now I have three 401A machines which i still use. Marion in NE PA

Marion... I also have a Viking Designer SE and I love it. I also have a Millenium that I also love. I still work full time for UPS so my time to spend on these machines is limited. I am so excited to have a 3 day weekend.

I just made the plunge and bought the Compu Quilter to add to my Millie... I can't wait until it is delivered.

We are all hooked on sewing machines and quilting machines. Isn't it fun.

Good luck on your decision to purchase a quilting machine. I know there are many options.. .If you can't afford the APQS machines. I do think the Viking quilting machine is a good investment. I have had Viking machines for over 30 years, and I would trade them for anything. There is not other machine like Vikings. (MY opinion of course)

Barb in Iowa

• 2 weeks later...

I too am contemplating the purchase of a Long Arm. I have spoken to 3 different APQS reps at a quilt show and at an APQS seminar I attended this week.

My question is do you reps work on commissions? When I'm ready to purchase do I decide which of the 3 reps to contact?

Georgene

Archived