Help!

I know it's been discussed to death but what is the down and dirty solution for removing dry erase marker (black) from fabric (white)?

I did the entirely stupid thing I knew never, no never to do. I drew on the vinyl without putting the tape on the edge.

This is after spending the day quilting and ripping because I am not happy with the design choice or my ability to achieve perfection with it.

Help? Soon!!!!

I went back through the archives and found that there are so many products that may or may not work. I think I may end up removing the fabric and putting in a new piece.

I really don't want to spread the spot into the batting or backing. They are also white. I'll need to ponder this for a while.

Darn.

Laurie,

Doesn't sound like you've had a good quilt day...me either! I got a couple of hours down while Maddie was taking her nap and sadly I was ready for a nap too! LOL I started marking a quilt that needs to get done and it just is not motivating me at all! I hate when that happens! Maddie will go home tomorrow and I'll just have to make myself get it done!

No help other than all the suggestions you have already found. Good luck! I would probably just change out the piece if I could.

Hi! My dad is a dry cleaner, and I have asked him about that kind of stuff before. He recomends Oxyclean. Make a small paste with a little water , then kind of rub,"scratch it in(fingernail) gently. Wipe off with a damp cloth. SOMETIMES it works, and SOMETIMES it doesn't! But , it is worth a try. But you have to be careful if it is a colored fabric. I wouldn't recomend it without checking on a hidden spot first. linda

I recently purchased a bottle of "Grandmas Secret Spot Remover" from Connecting Threads. It says "it takes just a drop to remove Oil, Grease, Paint, inks, Blood, and a host of other substances, I have not had to use it yet (knock on wood) but wanted to be prepared. It is also safe for most fabrics, so I would suggest that Cotton would be very safe.

Perhaps that is something that might help you?

I did try the Spot Remover. It actually made the ink transfer through the batting. I'll check it again in the morning to see if it has changed any.

I don't have the Murphy's Oil Soap but I may get some to try tomorrow.

So far the best solution has been the alcohol but I don't think it is a permanent fix. I'll check that one in the morning too.

All of these little tests have been on a sample. I haven't touched the spot on the quilt. Hopefully time doesn't make it more permanent!

How about the bottle of dry erase remover? You can get it for the white boards when the faint outline is still there after wiping the first layer off. I wonder if it wouldn't just take it out easily like alcohol and hair spray do on ball point pen. It sure wouldn't hurt to try it on a scrap. Since the fabric is white it shouldn't hurt the color.

Of course you would want to use some washing method afterwards, just water, soap and clean rags might work for that.

I haven't had to remove dry erase marker so don't know what will work. Oxy Clean also has a liquid laundry product that I use for getting spots out. To clean my dry erase white board I use Simple Green. Also, Sew Clean may work since it is supposed to get ink stains out. Let us know what works.

Archived