help on this type of panto - please!

OK I've got some questions when it comes to this type of panto. In a perfect world the edge of the top would have just enough for one more row but it doesn't. If I do another row, it will basically only show the tree trunks. So here are my questions....

1. how would you finish this quilt? consider it done? do a half of a tree? etc...

2. what to do in the future to avoid this problem? measure the top out and space accordingly to the size of rows on the panto? do the panto upside down so the 1/2 row is on the bottom (might be akward)?

As you might be able to tell, I loaded this quilt bottom first so the trees we're right side up.....

I do alot of these types of pantos (a panto with a specific design ((tractor, tree, flower)) so having half a tractor as a row looks silly. Hope I'm explaing myself well enough

Tips please!! Thanks ladies!

2611768330105589211S425x425Q85.jpg

2744747890105589211S425x425Q85.jpg

2884630050105589211S425x425Q85.jpg

Hi, As its the top of the quilt you could get away with some stars in the spaces..thats what I'd do!

in the future you have to measure the design and the quilt top to work out how many repeats/rows you can fit and if they dont fit you could quilt a line, either something fun or a plain old line, both at the bottom and top or increase the space between the rows (which may or may not look right). I'm math challanged so I'd sooner just add a line of something lol Hope that helps.

Enjoy your day :)

I would just quilt what you can. It really won't stand out as much as you think. If you do something different at the top than you did at the bottom that would show more. Like Satu says if you want to make sure your design fits within the space you have to measure it and divide by the width of the panto. That will tell you how many times the design will fit. Usually there are inches left and you would divide that by the number of repeats to come up with the distance between the rows. Not that hard really to figure out.

Stars would be good, or freehand trees to fit the remaining space. I'm not an expert and have used pantos only a few times, but I think even when you calculate how many complete rows will fit the quilt from top to bottom, because the quilt draws up as you quilt, when you get to the end you may not be able to fit a complete row. Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here and give some advice.

For e2e designs like this one, in my humble 2 cents opinion, it is completely acceptable to have parts of the design chopped off at the edges, top or bottom. However, if the customer is not wanting the design chopped off, she needs to pay a custom quilting price so you can figure it all out, or ease the design in some how so it's not chopped off.

But, that all said, what you could do is when you get to the bottom (last row) you can do a little bit of fudging to quilt those trees in without chopping the design off. Me? I wouldn't bother with it unless the customer really wanted it that way.

Why not start at the bottom with a full design and then when you get to the top just do the partial row there as it won't show under pillows on the bed? That only works for bed quilts, tho I wouldn't have a problem with the partial anyway, but I agree with Shana, if they want full designs they'd have to pay custom for all the adjustments that have to be made.

Archived