Thread Breakage

Hi everyone!

I've got a problem and need your expertise!

I have been quilting a 85" X 112" sampler quilt for 2 days now. It started out fine but I am having a problem with thread breakage. I'm using BL on the bottom and Highlights on the top. I have adjusted the tension every which way and it doesn't seem to change the breakage any. It appears to be breaking at the needle. I went back to the DVD that came with the milli and checked the hook area etc. found no problems, changed bobbins (have found that my turbo winder is putting a loop sometimes in winding, but that is not the problem all the time) I cannot change the thread because I do not have another of that kind but that may be my problem. And I do not have any sew aid to try.

Right before the thread breaks I get a couple of loops on the top then it stitches a little further then breaks. And I sometimes hear a slight change in the sound of the machine.

Any insight into what else I can do would be greatly appreciated.

I talked to Amy earlier but then it stopped doing it (figures).

Thanks for the vent!

Thanks for the quick responses. I have checked the thread path, turned the cone over, I learned a while back that to much tension on the sandwich causes breakage:o so I keep checking that to make sure I'm not getting some tight spots. I read some other threads on this problem and just went out and turned my needle to 35min instead of straight on at 30min, it was going great and I was about to put my "DUNCE CAP" on and the thread broke TWICE:mad:. I'm getting a clicking sound before the thread snaps and I think maybe the hook assembly is moving a little and hitting on the needle maybe ???

Have you tried to change the needle? It might just have a burr on it. I would thead through only 2 holes of the pigtail. Also check to make sure you don't have a burr on any of your thread guides. You can run your thread through and rub it along the edges and see if it snags. You can also use a piece of batting and test that. You also might want to try another bobbin just in case that is your problem but it sounds to me it is your needle.

Sherry,

First try a different spool of Highlights to be sure it doesn't have a "bad spot".

Next, loosen the bobbin tension a LOT. Bottom line is extremely strong compared to Highlights, and it will win the tug of war by snapping the top thread.

Loosen the top tension a LOT. The goal is to get the machine to sew with the more fragile thread (highlights) without breaking. By loosening both top and bottom until the machine sews, and THEN starting to tighten the top and bottom until you get a good stitch, you'll have just enough pressure on the thread instead of too much.

Be sure to use a 4.0 needle. If you're stitching through a heavier batting like Warm and Natural, or bulky seams, this is really important.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again for all the advice. I managed to get that quilt finished and off the frame. Schedule is pretty full for Saturday and I have to work today at my regular job so Sunday or Monday I am going to clean the machine again and put a practice piece on with different thread and give it a whirl. My sister was over last night and thought it was the cone of thread. She is not a LAer but she was able to watch from the front of the machine while I followed the panto on the back.

The only concern I have is the clicking sound I get right before the thread breaks. I changed the needle 5 times on that quilt so I hope it is the cone of thread.

Thanks again. I learn so much on this forum and all the people here are so very nice and helpful.

Sherry

Hey Gang!

I got snowed in today so I put the next quilt on the machine changed the spool of thread and everything was fine. I thank God that there was nothing wrong with the machine. I quilted the whole quilt this evening!:D I will contact superior threads on Monday about replacing that cone of thread because I have another quilt that will use that same thread. I'm also finding that the spools of Bottom Line does not do very well on my turbo winder so need to speak to them about maybe exchanging them for cones.

Thanks for all your help.

Yes Heidi I use a thread net and I have started using a spool cap off of my Janome to hold the spool on the spindle (one came flying off a while back and ruined what was left on the spool) so I don't know what else I could do. I am get a loop or two in the winding when I use the spools also. I did move the guide a little more so it is centered over the spindle & thread. But was near the end of the quilt so didn't use but maybe one bobbin off the spool after that. If I remember right that last bobbin did look better but not perfect.

Thanks for the help. I should not have bought the whole line in spools until I figured out what worked and what doesn't.

Originally posted by Quilter 4 Jesus

........I'm also finding that the spools of Bottom Line does not do very well on my turbo winder ,,,,,,

I put a tiny piece of batting in the little metal loopy thingie on the turbow winder and it calms the thread dowan as it spools off and into the tension disks. Ever since I put that little piece of batting in there I have had good success winding my bobbins. Give that a try!! :)

• 1 month later...

This weekend I was having the same problem. I am quilting a very large quilt 90 by 93. The quilt is a lone star, so there is some fullness in some areas that the quilting I figure will help smooth out. I quilted about a quarter of the quilt. It was doing fine. Then my thread started breaking at the needle. I changed my needle but the thread still broke. I will try moving the quilt up a little to see if it makes a difference. I am using King Tutt on the top and So Fine on the bottom.

Archived