Got a new job

In the beginning of 2009 we had to apply for the jobs in the new organisation. There would be less jobs as before.

My job and also the I was working would not change, but even we had to apply. In April I was told that I was not choosen for my own job or for one of the other jobs I applied for. The person who got my job, she also is my niece, did not apply for it but got it because her teamlead used his power to fill in positions with people who he wanted on those positions.

We were both unhappy with the situation but worked well together until my last working day at the end of September.

As there is a flanking policy I would stay at the payroll for at least a half year or untill I found a job before.

I had not the idea that I would find I new job because of the economic situation, the area we live and my age.

So I had the idea to start a Proffesional Quilting Service as there is here in the north of the Netherlands only one. The others are all in more south or in the western part of the Netherlands.

In the beginning of September we went to Claudia in Krefeld Germany where I ordered my Millenium which came in the first week I really was at home.

In the meantime I was also applying for other jobs, but everywhere they wanted people who where looking for a first or second job with just a little experience.

Here in the Netherlands we have website where you can put your CV on when you are looking for a job and where companies and/or jobagencies can put there vacancies.

After I was just a few weeks at home I was called by an agency who found my CV on one of the websites they were looking for candidates for one of their clients. They asked my if I was interested and so I was.

The job interviews would be in the second week of November, but then I was away on a quilt midweek with friend what was planned already a year ago.

Now I had my job interview in the first week of November and the other candidate would come in the second week.

But this was delayed for 2 weeks and I would hear more at the end of the last week of November.

At the end of the first week of December still no reaction, so I called the agency but my contact was not there.

Last week I got a request for a second interview and when I left I had the job.

Since last week I have been several times back to the office to tell people personally I have found a new job and also for starting the procedure for ending my job there.

Official I will start on January 1st, but in fact I will start coming Monday because of the year end closure. For this I will get for every day a day extra leave in the coming year.

I will start with my planned activities on my Millenium only this will be at a lower level.

I'm still in the practising phase.

In the coming weeks I will do some charity quilts which are going to children who are very ill. These quilts I can use for practising with a simple pattern.

Congrats on the new job. I know that it's hard out there. My DH is a dairy farmer and he's had to take a cut in pay and will have to take another cut after the 1st of the year. I was supposed to go part time and work on my quilting but that won't happen because I need to stay full time to keep the health insurance for our family. These are tough times we live in. Hopefully things will get betterin 2010.

Hi Tinie, I am sorry you had to go through such uncertainty with your "old" job, but that you kept a positive attitude I think this is what helped you to succeed in finding your "new" job. And, mostly that you got your new longarm machine and that you can play and practice with your longarm in your spare time. I am glad you found a new job. I am a big believer that prayers are answered and that we all get what is best for us if we keep the right attitude about our day to day lives. I know that no matter what happens with me, in my heart I know I will survive and be OK. I am very glad all has worked out for you. Many blessings to you, Tinie.

Shana

Hi Tinie, is that as tiny or tin ee? I think Tinie.

Sorry for the need of job loss, but more-so for the new one and the good ties to it. I have never heard of a company paying wages as the old company did. Is that sort of a standard Practice in the Netherlands?

I'm glad you brought this up so more can really understand the bad economy is not just in the USA and a few spots across the world. This isn't a news or tabloid article but a real life human statement, more believable.

congrats on getting the new Millie... wish I could get one, but Penny and I will do and eventually get a wonderful, low cost, well constructed computer set up for it. that would be more wise for me at my age.

God Bless you in your new endeavors, relax, enjoy life, and thank God.

Best of happy, safe, healthy and fun holidays and into the new year.

Ritar & Himself.

Hi Rita,

origineel gepost door RitaR

Hi Tinie, is that as tiny or tin ee? I think Tinie.

Sorry for the need of job loss, but more-so for the new one and the good ties to it. I have never heard of a company paying wages as the old company did. Is that sort of a standard Practice in the Netherlands?

In englisch my name sounds more like Teenee.

It can be written in several ways also as Tiny. I'm happy it is not spelled as Tiny because of the english pronunciation and I'm already tiny

My old company, a major dutch international company, is paying the wages until the end of this year. We have a social plan called flanking policy.

The last 3 months working is called the orientation period. After the 3 months we can choose for 2 solutions.

1. Leave the company within 6 weeks after start of redundancy you get extra compensation.

2. Or choosing for 6 month guided searching for another job.

After 6 months there will be a review and then depending on your own activities it can be continued with 6 month extra or you have to leave the company. All the time the company pays the normal wages.

I choose for the second option and did find a job within the 1st 6 month period.

Everyone who leaves the company after the first 3 months because of being superfluos gets a compensation based on years worked there and maximised by a percentage of what that person would earn until retirement at 65.

Once a person has found a job, the company needs a a few weeks to finish everything.

And know we are in the year end period they need a bit extra time.

The new company wanted me to start as soon as possible because of the year-end closure.

In most european countries the financial year closes on December 31st. For the handover it is important for me to be there. Next year I have to do it on my own.

They will not pay me for the days I work there in 2009, because that is not allowed by law, but will compensate the number of days worked with the same number of extra days leave instead.

Those extra days leave make it possible not to stop with one of my quilting bees, on the first wednesday morning of the month. Now I have to work fulltime instead of 80%, so these days are very welcome. And for a few mornings I'm working on the charity quilt tops.

Archived