Sally Terry

The hubby and I arrived in Paducah Ky yesterday! He got up this morning and headed out for his first of 3 days of private classes with Sally Terry. I am sure he will learn plenty and can then teach me when we get back home. I know he is enjoying the class because he came back to the hotel for lunch. He says Sally is so knowledgable but extremely down to earth and friendly. She made him feel completely comfortable. I have spent the morning in our room trying to figure out my new embroidery machine. I took classes on it but they left me totally confused so I am trying to figure it out on my own. I get depressed because it takes so long to catch on to things since the mini strokes. Both the new Milli and the embroidery machine have totally overwhelmed me. The bright side is that if all else fails hubbie said he would also take classes for the embroidery machine so he can teach me! I can't feel sorry for myself too long when I consider how lucky I am to have him (he is sooo cute too!!!!):) After his class is finished today we are going to a sewing shop that specializes in Viking's so maybe I can get answers to some of my questions there. We hope to go to the quilt museum and Hancocks of Paducah before returning home. I guess I had better get back to figuring out my machine!:(

Cheri Blevins

I took classes from Sally Terry at the quilt show in Paducah last spring and she is a sweet lady and your husband is a keeper and sure to learn a lot from the classes.

Re. the embroidery machine. After I retired from my real job I had a part time job at a sewing store where I sold several brands of machines, from low end to high end. I always told the customers that project classes help you learn your machine. By this I mean the class for the embroidered pillow, or apron, or towel, or whatever. You may not be interested in the item that you will make in the class, but it forces you to use the machine and by doing so you learn both the machine and perhaps a technique you may apply to another project. The machines can be intimidating but by using it you will master it. Good luck with you new toys and have fun with them.

I live in southern Indiana...about 3 & 1/2 hours away. Where are you? I have lots of relatives in Ky. I could drop him off and keep the car but I am not familiar with this area so I don't know if I could find anything:P His class is not over until 4 so we won't have much time to look. GREAT places to eat!!!

Cheri Blevins

Cheri, be patient it will come to you. Your husband is a sweetie. I agree, project classes are great for learning DSM skills:cool. If you have embroidery questions just ask them on here. A lot of us LAer's also have embroidery machines. :cool::cool: We're here for you.

Good morning everyone!

Do I ever have embroidery questions:mad: I don't think this thing will EVER be my friend. I have a name for it but it can't be posted here:P It is a viking topaz 30 with 4d extra software installed on my laptop. When I try and pull up the pictures it takes me right to "quick play" and I can't open them. I bought this thing in October and have never had the embroidery unit attached yet. I think Yankiequilter and Gator are right...when I get home I will sign up for project classes.

We went to Hancock's of Paducah last night for a few minutes. Not much time after his classes end. I have never seen so many quilt books in my life!! I think my heart will always be in piecing rather than quilting but that's ok because Elmer loves using the "BIG MANLY MACHINE". Elmer is a retired postmaster. He took early retirement a couple of years ago with the intent to relax. He stayed retired 1 whole week and then accepted an offer to work with special needs high school kids in our 3 area high schools. He prepares them for life after graduation. He helps some get job training, some find group homes and some enroll in tech schools. He makes sure their parents know what is available for them and what they are entitled to. As much as he loves his work, he has been talking more and more about both of us retiring and starting our own business. It is difficult to find longarm quilters in our area so I think we could make it work. I'm not sure I want to leave my job though. It is the one thing I know I am good at and I love it.

I wish we could see more while we are here. Most shops are closed by the time he gets finished with class and gets back to our room. We have made our reservations to come back for the quilt show in April though so we can see it all then:)

A big thank you goes out to everyone on the forum....You guys ROCK! I can't imagine a more helpful group of people. I catch myself telling Elmer about the things happening in your everyday lives and then remember he doesn't know you. I don't post very often but I know who has a loved one that is ill, where Maddie will spend Christmas, and how the yert is coming along:D It is a connection I enjoy.

Oh well, back to *#^@ *! (Topaz 30).

Cheri Blevins

Cheri, just wanted to jump in here and say hi and tell you I totally understand your frustration with your embroidery machine. I bought a new one a couple of years ago and it and I are not best of friends, however, I am going to conquer this beasty in 2010. I am sorry to hear of your mini strokes but very proud of you for going on with life and living it to the fullest. Your husband sounds like a wonderful man and the two of you will have a great business doing long arming and embroidery work. how special to have a business you can do together.

Bekah, Oh no...2 years! Why are they so darned complicated? I too am deternined to conquer the BEAST.

Elmer left this morning for his last class...a full day of feathering with Sally. He says he has already learned so much about the machine. I am excited for him. Even though I have not accomplished a lot I have sure enjoyed the trip. I LOVE paducah.

Cheri Blevins

Tell Elmer we are all anxiously awaiting pictures of his feathers and whatever else he has learned and you will be right there beside him before you know it, or maybe he will be the quilt dancer and you will be the piecer and embroiderer (is that a word). have a safe trip home and enjoy your last hours in Paducah

I took Elmer back to class after lunch today and met Sally. She is as nice as can be. I can't believe how pretty his feathers look! Sally says he has a natural talent so I think he will be the quilter and I will be the piecer. He said he was going to buy a book and a couple of cd's from Sally about starting a business. We should be able to turn out some fantastic projects. This afternoon he will be working on turning corners with his feathers. He seems so happy and relaxed with the quilting machine that I don't realy care if I learn to use it or not. My most relaxed times are when I can sit at my old Simplicity piecing to my hearts desire. Now I can just hand it to him when I'm finished :) I've decided to take the pressure off myself with the @#$%^ embroidery machine too. I'm going to give myself 6 months to feel comfy with it. If it hasn't happened by then I'll just put the darn thing up for sale.

Does anyone know how the tax deductions would work since we bought the machine and all the supplies in 2009 but wouldn't start a business until 2010?

Cheri Blevins

Archived