Wavy borders

I have a client coming tomorrow with a queen sized quilt that was previously hand pieced;she added a 3 inch border all around by machine and wants to now add another much wider border about 9 or 10 inches all around. the problem is the first border is quite wavy. The border was cut on the length of grain not selvage to selvage. She hopes that I will add the other borders to her "wavy 3" border" for a cost and then quilt her quilt. what advice can you give me about how to handle the existing wavy border. i am planning to quilt an edge to edge pantograph design. I am donating the quilting as this is a raffle quilt. I am not prepared to donate my sewing time and will charge an hourly rate for that portion of the work.

Thanks for your advice, Heather:)

Hi Heather,

Easy.....if you are being paid to do the sewing, start the clock and take off the first 3" border to fix the wavyness. If you are not being paid...have her remove the first border and bring to you picked apart. Mitered corners or straight corners? Measure the body of the quilt in 3 places and cut the border to fit the average length....do for length and width borders. If the corner is mitered...sew both borders together and treat them as one.

I agree that the first wavy border must be removed and re-sewn. If her top is uniformally square...then measure through the center of the top vertically and cut the border to the measurement...and pin the border starting with 2 ends, center, then center of each segment...till you have pinned the border every 2-3 inches. It will not move this way and remember...put any fullness on the bottom.

Borders cut length of fabric are still on the straight of grain...this should not be a problem.

I agree that someone will have to remove the wavy border and re-sew or the next border will just compound the problem.

I don't quite understand when you said the borders had been cut the length rather than selvage to selvage. I always do my borders this way, as there is less stretch lengthwise and so the borders, if cut the right length will not stretch and thereby get wavy. Now, of course, as I tell my students, if you don't measure your quilt and your borders cutting on the straight of grain will not help you at all!!:P

I agree with everyone else, those wavy borders need to come off. It will save you a lot of time and frustration. Like Sheila, I'm a little confused, I also cut my borders the length of the fabric yardage vise selvage to salvage. Most of my quilts are wider and longer then the average width of a fabric (46-48IN). I really don't like piecing my borders unless necessary. Anyway, that's just my preference and I haven't had any problems with stretch. In addition, I also measure my quilts through the middle like Kristina. I start in the middle of the border and quilt when pinning. Follow carpenters rules when cutting anything, measure twice (or more) cut once. Let us know how you make out?

The first border has to come off. When I first started quilting a year ago, I just did pantographs. When the borders were wavy I couldn't get the folds out. So when I got to the bottom I would take off the border and sew it back on by hand. After making that mistake, I knew it would be easier to take the borders off. You don't want your work to look bad, because the quilter didn't do a good job.

I agree with everyone else. Remove and fix the first border. It's easier to fix now than to have to "quilt it out". I also agree that borders cut from the length of the fabric will stretch less. Of course if they were too long to begin with you will still get waves.

Unless she leaves a retainer to cover the approx cost of custom sewing or signs an agreement stating she understands the additional cost , i would show her how to do it and send her back home with it. You can make better $ quilting than fixing!!Dawn Cavanaugh has an excellent print out on attaching borders that you can give to clients.

agreeing with everyone else. Let her make the decision and make sure you charge for your time if she decides you should do the taking off and resewing. It sounds like the quilt top was not measured before the borders were put on because like others have said, cutting the borders on the length of grain rather than cross-grain makes for less stretchy borders. that is how I was taught to cut borders. Good luck with this.

Thank you for the great advice everyone. I met with the client today ,explained what the problem was....attaching borders without measuring length first and had her agree to unsew the borders(exactly what she had done). The client signed my contract with estimates for correcting and resewing the borders as well as quilting the quilt. She then bought backing & batting for the quilt from me,then chose "winding road or reflecting trees"for the quilting and went off happily. I just received an email from her stating the borders are now off and she has arranged for me to pick up the quilt when I go to town next week. I think this has turned out well for both of us, she even offered to pay for the work up front but I declined until the work is complete.

Many thanks ,

Heather:D

Heather, I am so glad that this worked out. You will be glad that the wavy borders came off. I found that if the customer hasn't taken lessons that included how to cut and apply borders they usually do it wrong without knowing. Keep us up to date and remember we want pictures.

Archived