NQR Shana and Alaska

Hey Shana, my husband and I are planning a cruise to Alaska this summer. Can you give me some ideas on spots we should not miss? We have not picked one yet because we are unsure about what we want to see. I figured you would have some great insight. By the way, we decided on this trip after I visited your web sight and saw the beautiful pictures. :)

If anyone else has any tips, I would love to hear them.

we did a cruise to Alaska on our honeymoon almost 8 years ago and it was awesome!! We went jeepin' up mountain roads, took a helicopter to the top of a glacier and went dog sledding. Went on a salmon bake and the train tour. The train tour is a wonderful way to see the country!! Oh you'll have sooo much fun! My hubby and I are planning to go back on our annivesary sometime. Probably won't be until our 50th but I can still dream!!!

Are you going on the Carnival Cruise line? That's the one we did and if you want to book excruisions, do it right away because they fill up fast!! Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

We haven't decided on a cruise line yet. This has been a dream for years but we kept putting it off. Last week a close friend of ours was putting suitcases in the trunk of his car for a Florida trip him and his wife had been putting off, He died of a massive heart attack. He was the picture of health and only 63, not much older than us. After I found the pictures on Shana's web sight we decided to go for it. It will be difficult to make arrangements for my mom and all but we will find a way!:)

Cheri,

I have done 2 Alaskan cruises. The first in the late 90's on NCL, then 2 years ago on Princess. Alaska is breathtakingly beautiful!

The one thing that I would suggest is to get a cabin with a balcony. On the first cruise we spent all of our time jocking for rail space or a seat with a view inside. The second cruise we spent most of our time sitting on our balcony wrapped up in blankets just enjoying the scenary. They were both great trips!

I really wanted to go to Fairbanks while we were there, but it did not work out. We were stationed there when I was little.

Ahhhh....yes... Alaska! It is absolutely a beautiful place. A very unique type of beauty and it is so huge, vast, open, gigantic river valleys surrounded by equally gigantic mountains. I have lived here 34 years and it still blows my mind. :)

Well, you have received some great advice on a cruise. Would you believe I have not been on a cruise before? Some day we've gotta do it. Quilting is huge up here, too, and scattered throughout the state, we have some beautiful quilt shops that rival the best quilt shops in the L48; you won't be disappointed. If you get a chance, take a flightseeing trip (fixed wing or helicopter) maybe to a glacier, and perhaps go on a river raft trip or hiking if you are into that kind of thing. :) Have fun!!!

We went to Alaska 2 years ago fishing, we flew into Anchorage, the lodge flew us out to their place and took us fishing, fed us, etc. We also did a boat tour of Denali National Park I think it was out of Seward. Where the cruise ships dock and the train comes in. We loved it and plan on going back. After two deaths in the family we decided we were not putting it off anymore. We had wanted to do it for years and planned on it for our 25th anniversary, we ended up going halfway between our 25th and 26th. We would like to go again, but I also want a new kitchen and bathroom, toys for my longarm, etc. HUMMMMM!!!

Cheri,

If you have any questions about cruising up the inside passage, please ask me! I have lived in Juneau and Ketchikan and would love to help answer any questions you may have! I loved living there and do miss it! By the way, there is a wonderful quilt store in Ketchikan called "The Silver Thimble" that is not to be missed - it is in a large building on the dock where the cruise ships dock.

Let me know if I can help you!

Thanks everyone!! The info has been great. We had not considered a balcony but is now on top of our list:) Vicki, I will have plenty of questions once we are booked! The quilt shops are 1 of the big things for us. If there are other things we should not miss please let me know. We are unsure if we want to book excursions or bum around on our own.

I've never lived in Alaska, but I have vacationed there 14 times. I absolutely love it there!!! Summer, autumn and winter are beautiful. (I haven't been there in spring yet.) I also never went on a cruise, so can't help with that.

As far as deciding what to do, read the guild books and see what activities you like to do that will correspond on where your ship will stop. I would think you should do as many activities as time (and money) permit. I can't imaging going "wrong" with anything you do.

I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful time!!!!!

I've also been to Victoria and it is a wonderful place, too. I went there for some pampering after two friends and I backpacked the Chilkoot trail (near Skagway in the SE) for 5 days. Unfortunately, we hiked mostly in the rain. I was so caked with mud from falling and crawling, going through a rainforest and up a glacier on a steep mountain pass...you should have seen my fingernails at the end of those 5 days! I looked like I was digging ditches with my bare hands, oh, and forget the way my hair looked and the way I smelled (5 days with no shower). LOL We were really a sorry site! :)

Originally posted by sandradarlington

.....I backpacked the Chilkoot trail (near Skagway in the SE) for 5 days. Unfortunately, we hiked mostly in the rain. I was so caked with mud from falling and crawling, going through a rainforest and up a glacier on a steep mountain pass...you should have seen my fingernails at the end of those 5 days! I looked like I was digging ditches with my bare hands, oh, and forget the way my hair looked and the way I smelled (5 days with no shower). LOL We were really a sorry site! :)

Sandy, you should consider writing articles and brochures for the tourism industry. Your stories will surely draw lots of interest... :D:cool: hehehehe! (just kidding) But I am sure you were a site to behold after that trip and you definitely deserved spa treatment. You are so cute and you have such an adventurous spirit. Love ya girl! :)

My hands were so aweful that when I went into a really nice little shop in Victoria, a 30ish year old salesgirl stared at my hand...the one extending the credit card (LOL) and she asked me what I had been doing. After I explained, she went into her tote bag and handed me a brand new bottle of vitamin E for my cuticles! I must have really looked a site! I remember trying to reimburse her for it (the size of a bottle of nail polish), but she insisted I needed it more that she did. This is a true story...really.

Archived