Quilting an antique quilt

Dar

I would like to know what YOU would do in this situation. A customer (good friend too) gave me an old hand pieced Lemoyne Star quilt top to do a pantograph on. It is not very precisely pieced, but the fabrics are in excellent condition, and is all put together with a common fabric (off white/with brown squiggles). It's about 75 x 80. The sides are a bit wavey all around. Would you do as requested or try to preserve and feature the piecer's original intention to probably hand quilt it too. Waiting to put it on the frame. Thanks for your opinions.,;) Dar

There are a couple of things to consider. 1) What do you think the value of the quilt top would be in it's present state? Quite often we think these old tops are more valuable than they really are. 2) What will your friend do with the top if you don't quilt it? Will she take it to someone to have it hand quilted? Will she find another long arm quilter? Or will she just fold it up and put it in a chest (or worse) somewhere? 3) Will the quilt get more love and attention if you quilt it as she wants?

An alternative to a pantograph would be an all over design like a Baptist Fan or Orange Peel and would be more in keeping with the age of the top.

Is there no one who has ever gotten an antique top to quilt and was unsure whether to panto or custom it? The customer basically said I could do what I want, but she said panto was ok. I would show you a picture if I knew how to post pics but I've only sent pics as email attachments. Help help Please.:) Dar

Thank you Holly. This is exactly what I needed to get my mind going. She will not have it handquilted, she wants to give it to her daughter. It will be used regardless of how I quilt it. Most likely as a throw on the back of a couch, rather than a bed. I did think of a traditional all over pattern, but since I'm new I don't have a lot of pantos or templates yet. The idea of the Baptist fan would probably be ideal. I like it!! I may be able to borrow a panto with the fan from someone at our longarm meeting Sat. I assume they have pantos of this. Thanks for your input. Dar

You pretty much answered your own question...either one will be okay, its whatever you want to do that you feel comfortable doing. Baptist Fans, Cross Hatch or echo stitching were very favorite hand quilting designs.

Me personally....I try to talk all antique quilt owners out of machine quilting as I think they look better if hand done ... or they hold could hold their value more if not quilted as Holly already stated. Now I have also seen some beautiful antiques machine quilted, but there wasn't a certain design better than another....so again its whatever you feel most comfortable with doing.

If it is truly an antique...meaning over 100 years old..and she wants to spend the money having it hand quilted...then great.

It is probably a vintage piece...and many were not finished for the reason of cost in the backing and the batting. If she wishes to just use the quilt...then a panto should be fine. If she wants it to save and have as the original piecer intended...she might consider Hand quilting. Cost is probably why she is thinking a panto is good! :)

Originally posted by Dar

I may be able to borrow a panto with the fan from someone at our longarm meeting Sat. I assume they have pantos of this. Thanks for your input. Dar

The panto Baptist fans are available yes, but MAN they are a bugger to follow....see if anyone has pattern boards/Stylus you can borrow...they work way better and your lines stay perfect.

I have quilted many antique quilt tops and they look terrific with an E2E design on them. Baptist fan comes to mind. The wavy borders can be steamed down as you go and use lots of pins along the side. I tack my tops at the top and sides as I go easing any fullness in the tops borders as you go. Egnore the not quite presice piecing it gives the vintage quilts character. You will be happy with the results as long as you pick a quilting design that compliments the top.

Nora

I don't think this top would qualify as a high value top. It looks more vintage - perhaps old shirts, and shirtings. Some of the stars have 1 or 2 different fabrics in the 8 points. 4 points in each star is of muslin, the other 4 are colors. Bonnie, thanks for the tip on panto BF. Not sure I know anyone with a pattern board, but I will check around. Nora, I will use your suggestion of pinning the sides as I go along. The stars go all the way to the edge of the quilt. There is no borders, so there's not much room to tack it down without cutting off some points. No 1/4' seam allowance there. Kristina, she is definitely not a handquilter lover. She called this a RUG = real ugly quilt. I think it has a lot of charm and is a good example of the period 1920's-1930's, but definitely not your feed sack 30's. Thanks to all of you for taking time to help me. I appreciate your experience in LAming.

:mad:Dar

Last week I had a customer bring an old (not antique) top that someone had given to her. The blocks had been hand pieced and then sewn together by machine. Some of the blocks were coming unsewn even though she had done her best to repair them she had missed a few. She told me to do something simple. I just did an allover free hand loopy meander. I am glad I was working from the front instead of doing a pantograph from the back. There was several places the top would have been torn had I been working from the back. I was pleased and she is thrilled. It will be used on her spare bed and won't be laundered very often.

Darlene,

I just read this, so I'm always a little too late. You have probably already quilted this. I love star quilts and this one is one of my favs. Also, I am a nut for antique or vintage quilts. Just do it justice what ever you decide to do. Personally, I wouldn't do e2e....but you have to do what your friend/customer wants.

Archived