Pictures of a quilt I thought I was going to retire on!

I FINALLY finished this one late last night and just finished grooming it and hanging it for photos. This quilt belongs to my cousin, I have only had it for a YEAR and am so please to get it done! I LOVE 2 color quilts and am very pleased with the way this turned out. Judy used a horrid backing though, one of those that shows EVERY needle hole even if you are only thinking about stitching there! I am not sure what it is, or where she got it but I will make sure I find out as I NEVER want to purschase anything like it! Other then that, Judy's piecing was impeccable, every seam was pressed to the right side which made SID so much nicer. Expessially since I was using either blue or white thread!

The quilting in the feathers was inspired by my friend Ronda Kae Beyer, I tell ya that girl knows her stuff and constantly blows me away!

I was out of my usual batting and was forced to use a Joann batting called Soft and Crafty. It worked out okay, but I would not run out to buy it again and am happy to have my norm back in stock.

Anyway, enjoy the quilt. I am going to spend the day putting away the rest of my studio that is still in boxes!

Oh and as usual, you can see more photos of this quilt in my webshots album. Here is a direct link to the most recent album. http://community.webshots.com/album/551630319LkXpex

Sherry!!!

That quilt is just awesome! I know you were working on this "goose" quilt for a while, but it was all worth it!;)

Ronda does incredible work & I know she will be thrilled to see what you have done!!:D

WOW!!!! Sherry, you are totally amazing and I love the quilting that you put on this top. I really appreciate the fact that you are so willing to share your inspiration with us mere mortals;-) Thanks again.

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Guest Linda S

Holy Smokes Sherry! That is GORGEOUS! I too like two color quilts. I love the treatment of the flying geese and how the cornestones intersect. And the FEATHERS! Thanks for sharing. What a treat to have with my morning coffee.

Linda

LOL! Thanks everyone! How nice to read your comments after returning from a long luxurious soak in the tub!! Guess I am not quite ready to start that studio ...yet!

I wish I could keep this one for another year, but I think I have kept dear cousin waiting long enough. She probley forgot waht she sent me by now!

Hi Sherry:

Wonderful job would be an understatment, really great quilt !!:D

Is there anyway that you very talented long term quilters could give us newbie's an estimate on how many hours it takes for you to do work like that. It's hard for me to get my brain around the concept, of 20-30-40 hrs on a quilt, it's beyond me.

Just a rough estimate, if that's O.K. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie that would benefit from the knowledge.

Oh, & maybe # of bobbins too!!:)

Keep those photo's coming, they inspire me to get better & try harded, to bad my spelling is'nt getting any better ;)

Hi Gerry

I so did not track time on this! I cannot even give you a guesstimate. I loaded it maybe a week and a 1/2 ago(or so) and some days I worked on it allot and some days I only worked on it a little. Next time I do something like this I will try to keep better records. The feathers were easy and went fast as they were all freehand. The geese sashings probley took the longest as I was using white thread and had to try to stay away from the blue. I took it real slow there. The diagonal lines in the border went fairly quick as well. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Still avoiding the studio...now I have to take the dogs to the groomer!

What a wonderful job!! In Jamie Wallen's class I learned to free hand feathers like the ones you did-that's not saying I can actually do them, but I did learn how. Thank you to everyone who shares pictures of your quilts. It gives those of us with little experience a clue as to how a filler or sashing will look Keep posting!!

Fantastic Sherry! May I copy and paste it into my scrapbook of online inspriations?

Here's the teacher in me...

If any of you (including myself) want to someday be able to be this good...Practice, practice, practice! I will say this many times: you can practice on PAPER! Things you do with your pencil translate to the long-arm quite well! The brain is an amazing thing!

I need to get off this 'puter now and get out my pencil! Thanks again Sherry for sharing such a great piece and congrats on getting it done!

Wow Sherry,

Will I ever be that good? Doubtful. The designing work is superb. One question for this novice quilter. Your line work--what did you use to keep lines so straight? Ruler? Hartley? what?

Thanks you for teaching and sharing with all of us.

BJ Tinker:D

Thank you all for your lovely comments!

KnotKnut, feel free to keep these as inspiration, I am honored!

BJ, I have a ruler attached to my wrist at all times and of course mine are my favorites, although I use them all!

LindaSusie...we ALL started out meandering and stippling at one point. Keep up the practice and the desire to excell and you will be just awsome!

Sherry: Your work is lovely! We can only do so much when working with poor quality fabric. I have one on a backing also that looks like the flowers were painted on with an acrylic paint. The needle "pops" every time it goes through the backing...

Sometimes we are miracle workers, changing a sow's ear to a silk purse. It just takes us a while!

Cynthia

Archived