Baby or Crib quilt

I was wondering if you all would add your two cents worth to something that I have trouble deciding: what size to make a baby quilt?

What do you do? Do you make it to fit a crib? Or make it to be a bit more versatile than that...like for the floor? Make it to be small and cuddly or bigger so it can be used longer....maybe even to cover a toddler?

I'm not a mother, so I can only guess as to what would be best. I have made one for a friend who wanted the quilt to be big, like 45x60. I asked her how it is working out, and she says great, would not want it smaller.

Now a neighbor has asked for one to be about 28x40. I wonder if I should guide her to something bigger.

Thanks.

Linda/9patch

I find that 36 X 45 seems to be good for most people. That is what size my grandkids quilts are and they are just right for covering them in the crib or wrapping them up outside. I have made 2 that were 45X 60 and they seem too big. I also made one 42X42 for a lady. Weird size, but it was what she wanted.

Linda,

Here is my 2 cents worth....While in Reno I quilted tons of quilts for a lady who was always making baby quilts of flannel, they were always cute, but they were also very tiny....may be 28 x 30 at the most....of course the flannel wasn't washed so when they did get washed the first time they shrank like you wouldn't believe. While she always thought that mine were to big 50x 60

I always felt that it was a waste of her time to make something so tiny, and to only have it large enough to bring the little dude or dudette home and then never be able to use it again unless it was a wallhanging. So I guess I personally would strive for something a bit bigger, but not giantly....unless they plan to put it away to have on the big kid bed.

Just my thoughts.

Hi Linda--

Of course, baby quilts can be any size you ( or the Mama) would like. My only thought is make one side measurement at 44" or less--that way you don't need to piece the backer.

My guild was recently gifted 800 pounds of fabric, including many yards of flannel. I loaded long lengths and quilted away. I changed overall patterns about every 40 inches or so. We are planning to simply cut at appropriate lengths for kid's quilts and serge the edges. These are great for the police cars for kids under stress. Also, great for me to practice designs. Have fun!

Linda R

Hay Linda 9patch:

For my quilting Guild, I help to make over 100 quilts a year most of witch are baby quilts. The size I useully ask for is 36" by 46" because it works for a crib, & because fabric mostly comes 42-46 inches wide that leaves enough room on the sides to quilt it.

But as a Mom of 4, & a happy nurseing one at that, I found a square one approx. 42" by 42" worked best for us. I always wrapped it around the baby while nursing so as not to wake them as I put them down, also when they were on the floor it was big enough to put under them & still have room for some toys close by.

Also my babies didn't like the heavy/thick quilts because they got to hot, I had 2 that had no batting, just two layers of flannel top & back though you could put flannel in the middle if you wanted to. Those 2 quilts got used the most.

Anyway if you take off the binding you could always add new borders to a baby quilt to make it bigger when they go into a big bed, but my boys now 5&9 still use the baby ones (none are in baby colors) in the car or they drag them out when they make forts, or need a cape.

I hope I helped a little

I've done some baby blankets that have been well received. I've gone for larger sizes on the grounds that in the middle of the night when you are up feeding the adult needs it as much as the baby. Apparently they perform well for this and then are big enough to be used for years. The first one I made 5 years ago is still in daily use.

Ferret

As a mother of a 2 and 3 year old--just so you are aware a crib matress is what is used on the toddler beds, so if it fits a crib it will fit a toddler bed as well!

Good luck! P.S. the customer is always right--whatever they want--do it!

luv2kwilt

APQS MILLENIUM

Archived