tension adjustment needed

I will need to install a new hook assembly and re-time my machine this week. This is the second time re-timing necessary in the last 10 days or so. Last time it took me about 2 yards of practice fabric to get the tension right. This is my question: I am assuming I will have messed up tension after I do this stuff. I am in the middle of a quilt that needs to be done by Friday. (I do not have zippers yet) 1) are tension issues inevitable? 2) Any ideas how to get the tension correct without unloading the quilt in progress? Thank you in advance for any advice on this as well as advice on taking off a quilt in progress.

Nancy

Nancy,

Goodness! What type of machine do you have and how old is it?

If it is an APQS machine, call the factory in the morning and have them walk you through timing. It does take a while to time a machine but since you've done it before it might go a bit faster for you. One of the things that really helps is an eye loupe that magnifies the area so you can see the hook very clearly.

If your quilt is narrow enough, you might get by with clamping some practice fabric onto the rollers off to the side for testing the stitch while leaving the quilt on.

Good luck!

Hi Nancy,

I am sorry you are having problems with your Milli. Isn't it brand new? Why in the world did you have to install a new hook assembly? Did you run over something and break a needle? :o:o

ANyway, not sure but when you bought your machine, didn't you get the beginners training with a local rep? If not, I hope you do soon. You will learn a lot in that class. Where do you live? I suggest you call a local rep for support.

To answer your questions, 1) are tension issues inevitable? No. They are not inevitable.... You just need to go through the learning curve. I always set my bobbin tension first, then adjust my top tension.

Loosen your bobbin tension so when you do the drop test, it drops slowly-but-consistently--like a spider on a web--- (not too fast and not to slow). Adjust the bobbin screw until you get that sort of drop with the bobbin. Then, you loosen (or tighten) your top thread tension accordingly until you get a nice top stitch.

OK I am going to explain this to you: FIRST you set your bobbin tension. LAST you set your top thread tension.

Bobbin tension: I don't have a "towa" gauge I just use the "spider drop" test for my bobbins. I insert bobbin and hold in left hand and pick up tail with right fingers (do this over a table or quilt so you don't drop bobbin on floor!!!) and as you pick up the bobbin from your palm, it should start to roll and slide easily. Roll slow and drop down steady like a spider. If it doesn't roll or drop down it is TOO TIGHT and you need to make very small incremental adjustments until the tension spring rolls smoothly. After you get that set and you are happy, put it in the machine.

Top Tension: You run this through the top tension and guides and needle as normal and I usually pull on the thread and look at my tension disks and adjust until it is about 8:00 PM when pulling. Then I use a scrap quilt sandwich and I run the machine to test stitches. I ONLY TOUCH THE TOP TENSION KNOB!! NO MORE TOUCHING BOBBIN. I run a few test stitch lines and feel the stitching. I can see the bobbin thread barely peeking up through the hole that the needle makes, that is the goal. If I don't see the bobbin thread, I tighten top a bit; if I see too much bobbin thread, I loosen the top. Easy easy. You will get it...just keep practicing and playing. Pretty soon you will "get it" and the rest is history!!!

2) Any ideas how to get the tension correct without unloading the quilt in progress? Thank you in advance for any advice on this as well as advice on taking off a quilt in progress.

I would do as Angela suggests and clamp or pin a narrow strip along the edge of the quilt that's loaded and run some vertical stitches.

Good luck and holler back if you need more help!

Not much to add to what Shana said. Just that when you are testing tension by sewing, you don't have to cover lots and lots of area. Keep in mind that your tension will always be worst in circles or loops (the machine moves in all directions when doing these, not only in the directions it works best), so make sure you do those while testing.

Also, don't know if you are anywhere near Woodinville, WA, but I have a beginner class coming up on May 13, in case you're interested.

Thank you all for your input. It doesn't seem so bad now after your help. The machine is a millennium that I've had only a few weeks. The thread cutter malfunctioned and caused a MAJOR jam up (couldn't even move the flywheel) APQS got me unjammed, we disconnected the circuit board for the thread cutter and re timed the machine. All of sudden after some very nice quilting, it started clicking and skipping stitches (inches at a time) This will hopefully fix it for good. I will add some fabric on the side for practice. I've got plenty of room since this is a twin size. I'm grateful to you guys! I live in PA and haven't had my training yet. That's something I will pursue shortly.

Originally posted by gonediving

Thank you all for your input. It doesn't seem so bad now after your help. The machine is a millennium that I've had only a few weeks. The thread cutter malfunctioned and caused a MAJOR jam up (couldn't even move the flywheel) APQS got me unjammed, we disconnected the circuit board for the thread cutter and re timed the machine. All of sudden after some very nice quilting, it started clicking and skipping stitches (inches at a time) This will hopefully fix it for good. I will add some fabric on the side for practice. I've got plenty of room since this is a twin size. I'm grateful to you guys! I live in PA and haven't had my training yet. That's something I will pursue shortly.

Oh boy you are getting to know every part of your new machine aren't you? Sorry to hear you are having these problems but I feel 100% certain that APQS has your back! Follow Shana's advice on the tension. I think it is the biggest thing to overcome but once you do all is good! I think the key thing is not to be afraid to mess with that tension disk!

Good luck and I hope install goes without a hitch!

Meg,

Retiming really only needs to be done if you've had a major snafu (I once sucked a cleaning rag into my machine:)). Jammed needles, rag traps, or worn hook points are typically what causes retiming issues.

APQS machines are timed very "tightly" so that you don't have to re-time it constantly like some other brands. But if one does a crazy thing like letting a t-shirt sleeve from her husband's ratty "rag" t-shirt get caught in the hook during cleaning, then one must retime--ask me how I know:).

Nancy,

If you're still not happy with your stitch quality, be sure to call us and we'll help you get things straightened out!

Yes, I will definitely be in touch with APQS for re-timing and installation of hook assembly. I also received the new circuit board for the thread cutter today. I wish I had as much sewing time as I have mechanical time in on my machine! I know it will all work out, everything does eventually....

well, lucky you.

there is only one person on this earth with less mechanical ability than me...his name is phil & i married him 28 years ago! :D:P:D:P

enjoy your new machine now that you have it all fixed and purring.

Originally posted by meg

well, lucky you.

there is only one person on this earth with less mechanical ability than me...his name is phil & i married him 28 years ago! :D:P:D:P

My husband feels the same way. Every time I need the needle repositioned (partial timing) I call him in to the rescue!!;)

Originally posted by meg

well, lucky you.

Opps wrong quote and wrong husband, mine is practically a tech too.

Archived