Suggestions for proper feet placement

I just haven't been able to establish an easy glide pattern as I move...my legs get twisted and contorted...I try to stop at an inconspicuous place and get straightened out... but inevitably end up like a human pretzel shortly thereafter... Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Is this thread going to go the way Shana's did:P:P:P:P Just kidding:P

Maureen,

I felt like that when I first started quilting too. What happened is my feet and brain figured it out over a period of time. It becomes second nature. Remember we don't naturally spend long hours going side to side while moving a machine so it is a learned behavior.

Maybe someone else can give you some better ways to straighten out your feet. Sorry I wasn't much help.

maureen -

i'm with you on this one...moving my body through regular life was always a challenge that required all my concentration to keep from bumping into things while remaining erect. now, trying to move along as i concentrate on gliding Lola-baby in the proper direction...OY!

all hints gratefully accepted!

Thanks Heidi, Cheryl and Meg... I'm glad I am not alone on this... I guess we gals from NY are a little less coordinated than those in other parts of the country...LOL

and yes, Cheryl, Shana's thread was a hoot!!! This certainly is a fun and friendly forum!!!

When I am doing pantos I like to wear headphones and listen to music or the TV. I get into a zone and move my body with the rhythm of the panto. When I need to move my feet I stop at a point, do a quick shuffle, follow the panto until I need to move my feet again, stop at a point and do the shuffle again. I can't seem to quilt and move my feet at the same time though. But this works for me. LOL

As Cheryl said it comes with time. It's like a slow two step dance but instead of moving backwards you are going sideways. As I quilt I start out with them together and the right one moves first with the left coming right along. Trust me it comes and soon you will be moving without thinking.

The panto shuffle? I can remember how hard it was before stitch regulation, I am a natural klutz. Now I just shuffle along as needed. I also have a wall behind me and rest my back on that too. Fortunately for me I don't do many pantos, I don't see to have problems moving across the front. Unless you count the time I fell off my chair, lol!

If you are going right to left, place your weight on your right foot, then when you need to move, step to the left with with your left foot, bring your right foot over to the left one, then place the weight on your right foot ready to step again.

Reverse the process if going left to right...weight on left foot, right foot ready to take a step toward the right.

Guest Linda S

Depends - do you quilt with both hands on the handles? I do pantos with just my right hand on the left handle. Then I hold the take-up roller with my left hand. It's easier to move that way.

Linda

Archived