What is a nice allover freehand pattern to try???

Hi,

I want to practice an allover freehand design, but dont really know what to start with.

Any ideas for a nice and easy one for a fairly new longarmer, I am finding it a bit difficult to think of some other than swirls.

Thanks

:)

Thanks for the suggestions and I have now had chance to give them a go. I love the flower bump meander Shana which I will keep practicing at.

I am not sure exactly what paisley looks like, but I think I have a similar thing mastered now. Thanks.

I havent seen Jamie Wallens meandering though Heidi, is there anywhere where I can see this in action or sewn out online?

Thanks you are all so helpful.

Hi Janette,

I've been enjoying Dawn Ramirez DVD, Pajama Quilter Reloaded. She has some great overall freehand quilting motifs on this DVD. Maybe you have this DVD?

This is one of her designs I just did on this fleece quilt. Freehand "Wonky Feathers". I've also played with her "Dwirling" design.

Next I want to try her flowers.

I'm and 'average' quilter, and do a lot of scrappy type quilts and find her quilting designs suitable for a lot of my projects.

post--13461904092782_thumb.jpg

Oh, I love your feathers.. makes it look so relaxed and comfy to bundle in..

I take it this your own free hand meandered feathers? You sure did well with it.

I l9ike to draw a curvy line and put a leaf on one side, a couple loops further on. about 3-4"of meander then a couple more loops, or leaves, or flowers.. etc.. I also like the Funky Freehand Stars, where none of them are alike or the same size, though close. meander, small meander, micromeander hard on the eyes.

Keep practicing and you will do fine.

RitaR

You can't go wrong with Darlene Epp's trilogy-- called Pocket Guides to Freehanding--one is fillers, one is overall meanderings, and the third is borders/sashing. Her designs are great with arrows to show direction. A must-have investment for a new longarmer.

www.trilliumhousedesigns.com is her site I believe.

You can also find her books (sold only as a set) at Bayside and other supply places. Bayside has them for $55 USD.

If you would like a set of books, purchase them through PayPal and have them shipped to some accommodating Canadian or US resident (like me) who will then ship them to you in the UK. Usually that is WAY cheaper than the stores will charge for International shipping. Just a thought!:)

Angie (Sparkle) your fleece quilt is so YUMMY!!! I love your quilting touches. So pretty. It just screams "fun" and happy and love and all those great words.

And, ditto what Linda says about Darlene Epp's pocket guides. I have these books ALWAYS ALWAYS sitting on my table next to the machine in their special prominent place so I can easily find and open whenever I need an idea or inspiration. The pocket guides are invaluable; a must have for everyone! As long as I am a quilter, I will always keep these books forever.

Another great freehand design (it's in Darlene's books) is the peacock meander or "shells" as other people call them. I love how these look on a quilt. Very quick to do and look super pretty. And, best of all, they are FUN to do because they are a little exciting. Now that I've done them on a few quilts, I have stopped using SR and do them freehand. Really a thrill. Those peacock meanders are super fun and pretty.

And Kristina (sagebrush quilter) has her Toadsong meander fill that is really pretty. I remember she posted photos of it a couple of months ago. That is a great design that is easy and looks fabulous.

Hi Janette, I love swirls with both rounded and pointy ends. I like to vary my swirls in size to add interest. Pointy is fun, and you can add in little stems and points to fill in areas that are too small for another swirl...also good for problem quilts because you can ease in problem areas well.

Batik-Swirl-1.jpg

The rounded edged swirls are fun because you can echo stitch and add in little "fingers" and things too...

Martha%27s-quilt_1.jpg

Another one I've played around with lately that is fun and easy is a stipple or a swirl with bubbles or hearts mixed in. Here is a stipple with bubbles mixed in (they can be just singles, but I echoed the bubble a bit).

Batik-Bubble-1.jpg

Thanks, and have fun!

Angie,

Yes I totally agree - above average quilter I would say !!!

Thanks for all the other ideas. I do have the Darlene Epps books, although I have not yet had chance to look through in great detail. Perhaps thats my next stop !

I think I can do the peacock one, although I get mixed up with what is called what !!! :D

Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi Janette,

I've been enjoying Dawn Ramirez DVD, Pajama Quilter Reloaded. She has some great overall freehand quilting motifs on this DVD. Maybe you have this DVD?

This is one of her designs I just did on this fleece quilt. Freehand "Wonky Feathers". I've also played with her "Dwirling" design.

Next I want to try her flowers.

I'm and 'average' quilter, and do a lot of scrappy type quilts and find her quilting designs suitable for a lot of my projects.

Actually I am loving the look of your quilt underneath the fleece throw too !!!

Hi Quiltiste, (sorry dont know your first name)

Thanks for posting your great photos !! I love your swirls.

I had a practice with some swirls on some plain fabric, and it wasnt too bad, but could do with more practice. Yours is great.

Archived