Canvas Problems

Mary Beth

I have decided to post pictures of my canvas' to show the problem I am having and find out what to do about it. My centers cannot possible be "centers" as you can see from the pictures. My back roller is 2 1/4" off on one end and 1 1/16" off on the other end.

Mary Beth...very good point! I asked that myself to my distributor and just got a funny look. You may want to RE measure your center and see if it still is...

When I do small quilts, I pin on one side and toss it over and let the quilt top hang and pin when the top is straight and not pulling off to one side.

Good luck with that! ;)

My canvas leaders are doing the same thing, but my center marks still line-up with each other. I do use the zipper system. (best money I have spent, since my machine) I would think that as long as the center points on the quilt top are perpendicular to the rollers, it really doesn't matter if the quilt is in the middle of the machine, as long as it is square to the machine... Does that make sense?

Leslie

okay, that sound right, if the center marks line up then it is still center. I guess I am wondering where the extra canvas went. If the canvas is not as long as it was in the beginning, yet my center marks are still center - then somewhere between the center and the end something is missing. Does that sound right?

So lets say you are pinning your top in and you have measured and it is 60" wide. You mark the center, pin to the "0" mark on your canvas and then you pin at the 30" mark for the edge - but that may not be the 30" mark - right?

I'm really not trying to be particular, but this seems very important.

My next purchase will be zippers - but how do I know my markings are correct before I stitch them onto my canvas?

Take a look at Sharron Schambers website. www.sharonschamber.com

I like her prepared Leaders. She has hemed the sides Square and used Industrial VELCRO (WIDE) to attach them. They look really nice and the hemed edges will not distort at the pace these too THIN canvas leaders are doing.

My backing leader is all wonky and I just received my new one. I don't plan to put it on until I have it squared and hemed. I plan to order new ones for all my leaders once I get set up in my larger space. I may even look at purchasing some Heavier canvas but haven't found any as of yet. Also I'm not too thrilled about DUCK TAPING as suggested when installing the New one. I like something alittle neater. Two wide Industrial Velcro around pole and the canvas isn't going anywhere and can be removed and repositioned if need be.

Take a look for yourself.

Mary Beth, Did you take Dawn's beginner class? In the one I took she demonstrated how to straighten a quilt top on the front roller as you roll it on by carfully twisting it with your hands. When mine look like yours I unroll my leaders all the way and roll them up a little at a time using Dawn's straightening/tightening method starting at the center and working towards the edges. Mine are nearly 4 years old it works great. I'm replacing them when I get around to it simply because they are looking rather grubby. It means taking the zippers off so I'm stalling :D jeri

Jeri,

Yes, I did take Dawn's class. I have unrolled the leaders and had my husband tug and pull on one end while I pulled and tugged on the other end. It helped somewhat, but didn't take long till they were right back where they were. I will try the Dawn Cavanaugh trick and see if it works.

I too am going to the zippered system, but I want my canvas to be correct before I go to the trouble.

Another way to straighten your leaders when they become a little warped is to zip (or pin) one of the front leaders (top or backing) to the take up roller, put just a little tension on them and let them stay that way overnight (or all day). Then repeat this same process with the other front leader.

Dawn's method of doing the "wrist twist" when loading a quilt top and backing also helps keep the quilt straight when loading them; especially when there are seams that do not want to lay very flat. This process will flatten out those bulky seams and help the quilt roll flat and square.

Janet,

Is the back roller the take up roller? That is the roller that my little motor is on that rolls up my quilt;) ?

That is the one that is off the most. Are you saying that by pinning the back roller to the front roller - the front roller will pull the canvas on the back roller back over where it needs to be?

Thank you for responding,

Mary Beth

• 3 months later...

This is exactly what I was asking about on my newer thread. My concern is that the green marks that were on the leaders to begin with are not centered with each other. The leaders were "wonky" when the machine was delivered. So am I to understand that I need to pin my loading leader to my take up leader, stretch them and then let them stay overnight?

Cynthia

When you first set up your machine you'll need to check that your centres line up. I've always taken centres not to mean specifially the mid-point on all the leaders, but just a point that is perpendicular to the take-up leader (the one with the motor attached to it) that lines up with all the other markings on the other leaders.

You'll need to re-check your centres periodically, especially if you leave quilts with a little tension on them overnight. Or do maintenance that requires removing your machine head (and therefore the take-up roller) Many people will release any tension from the quilt when leaving it overnight in order to avoid the kind of leader distortion that the above photos are of.

To me, the bottom line is - fabric is not a solid thing. As long as we're using fabric leaders, they're going to move and shift , we just have to re-square every so often. Both Renae's and Sharon's methods are awesome. Sometimes a quick fix is just to zip the leaders to each other and roll them back and forth.

Archived