Clover Chaco Liner

I used this on a white top and haven't been successful in removing it. I've brushed, watered, ironed....help me please. I checked the web site and no directions on how to remove. Now I just read the pkg and it said "Do Not Iron Down". Great. I suppose there's always a clorox bleach pen, unless someone out there has a much better idea. :mad:

Thanks for your help.

Sheryl

Sadly enough these aren't really a quilt friendly item. They are made for marking darts in dressmaking or home deco items where the chalk won't be seen. These chalks are hard and in most cases impossible to remove. Keep hunting through the threads there are several places where others have given advise on their attempts of getting the stuff out.

I used the blue chaco liner on a cream lace quilt and was horrified when the marks wouldn't come out. As it was only on the border I laid the border in the bath tub and very gently rubbed with a mild soap, the marks came out thank goodness and then I threw every chaco liner in the bin.

Originally posted by fineseams

I have a friend who dumped out the chalk in the chaco liner and replaced it with the magic iron-away chalk. She loves the fine line, and now has no problem getting the chalk marks out. Of course, it only works on dark fabric....

This is what most of us have done...I too love the thin thin line.

Meg...this chalk has a bit of wax in it....and that is what is sticking to the fabric, and if its hit with an iron it melts into it and you are stuck with a lovely line of whatever color you used that day. I too recommend to dump out what is in them and refill with your chalk of quilters choice.

holy bomboli - is this the chalk liner that has a little wheel thing in it that kind of rolls along with a slight clicking sound and makes a thin line?

i hope not since i use these all the time. i have never had a problem, and i love the nice thin line, but i will toss those puppies out if this is what is causing everyone problems.

Originally posted by meg

holy bomboli - is this the chalk liner that has a little wheel thing in it that kind of rolls along with a slight clicking sound and makes a thin line?

i hope not since i use these all the time. i have never had a problem, and i love the nice thin line, but i will toss those puppies out if this is what is causing everyone problems.

yepper dats da one....don't toss just dump out the old and use the good stuff. Yellow and blue are the worst.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Originally posted by meg

yepper dats da one....don't toss just dump out the old and use the good stuff. Yellow and blue are the worst.

WHATS THE GOOD STUFF?? i cant believe these are problematic and i have been LUCKY all this time!

and - by the way - why does joanns put them right there by all the quilting stuff? :mad:

I also have been using the white without any problems... it is/was one of my favorites... I have a yellow one still in the package... I think I will return it and look into finding the magic iron away chalk... does anyone know who makes this? I hope you were able to get the chalk off your quilt Sheryl!!!

Its not really in the quilting isle as much as in the notions, which are mixed in with the dress making stuff. Just avoid all yellow, pink and blue chalk as well as the PENCILS of the same color. Not talking about the Sew Fine, or Bohn pencils but the ones in the dress makers notions...the mention quilting on the labels but some have more wax than some.

speaking of Bohn pencils... I recently attended my 1st needle turn applique workshop and purchased a white Bohn mechanical chalk pencil... I love it! In needle turn applique, the line is hidden. Do these work well for marking quilts as well? They sure glide across the fabric nicely and leave a clean crisp visible line to follow (white on colored fabrics). Are there colored refills for use on white fabric and if so...should particular colors just be avoided ie: yellow, pink and blue...? Obviously testing on the fabric would be best so I ask to avoid wasting time and $ on proven problematic colors. Thanks

Archived