I have to make a sampler!!!

Guess what everybody. I just got off the phone with the owner of a quilting shop about an hour from here. I told her I had been practicing for a year and wanted to do customer quilts. She told me she works with three longarm quilters, but there are 2 she doesn't really refer her customers to, because they do poor work. She said she sends almost all of her customers to Judy L.

I didn't think to ask her if it was our own Judy L. I will ask her on Wednesday if it is our Judy. But I don't think it is, since this is not even close to Judy's house.

Anyway, she invited me to come for an "interview" on Wednesday at 10:30. I have to bring myself, my portfolio, some references, and a 24 x 24 sample that she can keep in the shop to show her customers.

So here's my question. It can only be 24 X 24. I 'm not sure what to put in it. Certainly some blocks of different fillers, but what about showing that I can do borders, pantos, SID, etc?

I need suggestions. Also, I want to use the light pink sateen that I bought. What color thread to you think I should use? Matching or contrasting?

This could be my big break. I really need to WOW this woman, and it sounds like she could be hard to WOW. She has been quilting for 40 years herself. She has been published and has won some competitions. (She has this Judy L person do all her personal quilting) .

HELP!!! I don't want to screw this up, and I only have until Tuesday night to have it finished and cleaned up.

It very well could be our Judy L....she does a lot of quilts for customers by mail.....

Now to answer your question about thread color...I personally thing I would go for matching the thread color that way it won't show as badly if you do make a little oops...like crossing in the spot that you do your meandering or tiny stipple...Doing such a tiny whole cloth will be hard, but you can do it and do it with flying colors...Good Luck, see things are looking better already.

Hey girl. Thanks, I was thinking of making a sampler by quilting the outline of 6" blocks and a border with thread, then filling the blocks with different textures and stitches. But would that be boring?

The other idea I had was to make something similar to the star sampler that Birgit made. Of course I wouldn't copy hers, but what about a mariner's compass or card trick pattern outlined with thread then filled with different textures? Would that be too complicated?

HELP, I need more ideas. I don't want to screw this up.

Do you have anything of Linda Taylors....she had a DVD with a great sampler....texas star sewn into a whole cloth and each area with a different filler or design....

I don't know who Birgit is but this may be something similar...the idea will be whomevers, but the sewing will be yours so its not coping....:cool:

Guest Linda S

Woohoo Teresa! You GO GIRL! I would make something that is a couple of blocks with different fillers and some sashings with different designs and borders also. Show off your stuff! I will bet it's our Judy L that she sends customers to.

Linda

Way to go Teresa!!!:P

I like the idea of you using a mariners compass or card trick pattern then showing off the different stitches you can do in the different areas (much more interesting than just a plain solid piece unless you can do a larger whole cloth type design...but than you may be limiting yourself to only a small client base if you only do the whole cloth type design). Also I agree with the others that said to use the matching or a neutral thread for top and bobbin thread. Looks much cleaner and more appealing to more quilters than to use a varigated or contrasting thread.

This could be your big break that you have been hoping for...make sure you make a good impression when you go to visit the shop and bring those brochures and business cards that you have been hanging on to so if she likes what you have you will have what she will need to send the customers your way. Also make sure that you tell her what your turn around time would be (take into account the fact you will be going back to your regular job soon) so she can tell the customers that ask.

Like some of the others have said when a door closes God opens up a window. Keep your thoughts positive and let your confidence shine!

Post a pic of the sampler when you get it finished and let us know how your meeting/interview goes this week.

Good luck!!:D

Joann

Wow, does God answer prayers or what!!

Dawn Cavanaugh has samplers done on sateen with matching thread. She divided her whole cloth into sections, I have the directions around here somewhere - I'm cleaning today:( (and here I am on the chat). Then she is able to do several different things, fillers and backgrounds, whatever, anyway, they are beautiful. Of course I am the president of her fan club. ;)

I am very happy for you and will be praying that things go the right way!

By the way, we watched Hee Haw every Saturday evening and I still know all the words to all the songs;)

Alright Teresa!!!! I'm so glad for you!!!

Here's a "recipe" I used for a sampler--adjusted for the size you need.

Start with a square 4" larger or so and mark it before you start. Mark the 24" square. Mark a line 2" inside the outside line for all your lovely border/sashing designs. Mark those designs if you need to--feathers, ferns, crosshatching, whatever. The marks will give you confidence--you may not even need them!

Then mark inside the last line 4" and divide into 4" squares. Now you have 16 squares for fillers or block designs. If that seems like too many, fill some in as rectangles!!

Whew! Now you have a larger 12" square in the center. Cut the corners to form triangles inside the square. You have 4 spaces for corner or triangle designs.

In the center is an on-point square for you to thread-paint one of your beautiful chickens!!!!! Or freehand flowers, or feathers, or whatever you love to do. Mabe even a faux trapunto with micro stippling!

Go for it!!!! We are all behind you!

Linda R

Hot in Olympia but not as hot as some of you!!

Guest Linda S

I think your idea is GREAT! It shows off all sorts of different things you are able to do. Go for it, and best of luck to you!

Linda

Deb,

The S thing with a circle (it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about): it's a variation of a wave pattern. The wave pattern I had wouldn't work for continuous line quilting, so I added a line and a circle to it to make it work. I made it up when I did Nevaeh's baby quilt (it's the pink and purple ballerina one on my website). I also used a variation of that center block and made it into a line and did the borders on her quilt. I have since seen something similar on ebay.

What kind of quilt are you making for your son? What colors did you choose? I love fabrics, especially bright colors. I could spend all day dyeing fabric , but then I wouldn't have time to quilt (and I have to work from 7-3 every weekday).

Here is a picture of the partially completed sampler, mostly the center portion. Should I stipple this or not. I'm afraid that if I do it will draw the center in and then the whole thing won't be square. Does it look stupid without stippling?

I'm also thinking of scalloping the edges instead of just having a plain old square.

It will pull in so leave it till last and see how it looks. You can always go back and fill. It's looking great so far! The scallop edge is up to you. Are you going to be making quilts for them or just quilting? Leaving it square may give you time to work some other stuff to show off your talents. Maybe make up a faux trapunto 18 in block with motif and some tiny fill work on around.

Myrna

Teresa,

I hated my job too, and I started looking for something else. I put my application in at a hospital and the hours were THE WORST....they wanted me, and my DH wanted me to take it. I wanted ot hold out for my company to take off, but instead I found a part-time job - that I love - and now I have more time to quilt, but I still get a paycheck for security purposes;) My DH gets wierd without a paycheck. Since I have taken this job - the other secretary broke her shoulder - so I am making more money than I did at the job I hated...I have 20 quilts hanging in my closet :D. My DH made a comment just this weekend, that I really don't have time for a part-time job. Thing will turn around for you - sounds like they already are....the sample look beautiful.

Archived