NQR Yellowstone

My son and I will be traveling to Yellowstone in a couple of weeks from Northern California. I notice there are a lot of people on this forum that live in place we will be passing through. I was wondering if you could tell me of places and things we might want to see along the way. I know of a few quilt shops I would like to visit, but since my son will be turning 16 on this trip, I thought may I should pick some "things" out for him too! :)

Thanks for any tips you might have! Food~hikes~worth while tourist traps...anything!

Lori

Not sure which route you will be taking...but...

Great Basin National Park near Baker Nevada...on the Utah/Nevada border is beautiful this time of year. Mt Wheeler is 13063' and is snow covered at the tip year round. Lehman Caves are a delight too.

Also, we have 2 steam engines and a complete railroad museum (machine shop, old diesels and locomotives and a rotary snow engine) here in Ely!

Enjoy your trip and Happy Birthday to your son!

Lori, if you can get to Bozeman, there are a couple of wonderful shops there. Main Street Quilting Company is right downtown, and SewHappy (Patty) from this forum works there. Also, there is Quilting in the Country just outside town a bit. Both are wonderful shops! And then there is Quilts on Broadway in Belgrade, MT...another awesome shop! Sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy yourself!

There are plenty of great hiking trails in Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks.

I recommend dinner at Signal Mountain Lodge in Teton Park, where your son will enjoy the nachos, and the view of the mountains and Jackson Lake is stunning.

The fabric store in Jackson is fabulous, it's Stitch N Time (www.stitchntimeinc.com). It features western, wildlife and batik fabrics. I work there, I am extremely biased:)

Billy Burgers in Jackson is popular. There is a shoot out on town square every night after Memorial Day that is worth seeing.

You'll have a great time no matter what you do around here. Be prepared for warm or cold weather, this time of year. So far, it has been quite chilly still. But I lived here when we had a week of 100 degree days in mid June as well.

Don't know about the quilting shops, but if you make it to the West Yellowstone entrance, make sure to stop and visit the place where there are real grizzlies. These are the ones that aren't afraid of humans and are being kept instead of put down. The whole place is fascinating! My favorite part of Yellowstone are the hot pots, gysers, and mud pots. Oh and as you drive along in the park, if there are a lot of cars in one place, be assured that there's an animal around somewhere. There's usually a couple of stupid tourists trying to get up close and personal with cameras too!!:( Last time I was there a mama bear chased a man away from her cub and one of the bison tried to hook a motorcycle! Oh, and the most beautiful bull elk with HUGE antlers walked right between us and another couple as we walked along Yellowstone Lake pathway! He didn't pay us any attention (thnk goodness). Can you tell I love that place! haha

There are several things to do in Cody, WY just outside of the park. Check out their chamber's website, there is a really neat museum and I remember them having a bunch of rodeo's, etc. Jackson Hole, Wy is also outside the park and there are things to do there also. If you need more information, let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you. It has been a couple of years since I have been to that end of the state, but there is always something for the boys to do!!!

Shirley

A couple of years ago my daughter and I and her 5 kids took a trip around that part of the country. Her kids LOVED the Firehole River Canyon. There is a great place where you can jump in and slide around down smooth rocks and rapids in Firehole Canyon, and end up in a pretty tranquil pool. I didn't get to do the rock/rapids sliding, as I was looking after the two youngest kids, but my daughter and the boys had a GREAT TIME. They boys all said that was their favorite part of the days we spent in Yellowstone. I'll bet your 16 year old would enjoy it, and you'd have fun watching. Everything in Yellowstone is wonderful. Lucky you!

Sorry-

Sew happy is no longer associated with Main Street Quilting - I left there over a year ago! Not long after the explosion. Since I left, my business has tripled !! But if you want to come through town I would be thrilled to meet you!! E-mail me and I will let you know what else there is here especially for your 16 yr old. Also I can hook you up with something if you are interested!

Patty

DH's folks live near 'the park'. This is a story by a gal from TX, where everything is BIG! yeah right!! My first trip up, there was talk about taking me to 'the park'; gonna leave early, take Mom & Dad's car, where to stop & eat, and on and on. It never dawned on me they were talking about 'Yellowstone National Park'! We literally raced thru 'the park' (this is DH & his little bro tour guide service at work here), we got back from our circle around the park about 11:PM. From someone who has been there, done that.....'the park' is a 2 day deal if you want to see and enjoy it all. The waterfall is tremendous! If you are going beyond Yellowstone, Big Horn Canyon which is actually in MT & WY, is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. The canyon walls are 1000 ft at some places and then the river is 300-400 ft deep. (drought may have affected river since I was there yrs ago).

For quilting interests....Reproduction Fabrics is also in Bozeman, neat shop! (reproductionfabrics.com)

In Billings there is Fiberworks and Backdoor Quilts; both worth a stop.

There is also a great shop in Cody, can't remember the name but a great shop. I left my quilted jacket there and they had heard us talk about the hotel where we were staying, one of the girls dropped it at the desk for me on her way home! That is what I call customer service!!!

There are several small shops in and around the area, MIL and I did our own shop hop in early May, last year. Cloud Nine is in Absorke, MT. and there was a log cabin shop out in the middle of nowhere that was very nice also. Big Horn Quilts is just a bit east of Cody and toward Big Horn Canyon.

Have a great trip!

We have been to Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons several times. The last trip out west, was with our son when he graduated from high school. Yellowstone is fabulous, but The Grand Tetons is breathtaking.

We stayed in Jackson, I went to Stitchin Time, very cute and friendly staff. Our favorite place to eat is Billy's Burgers. Awesome food, unbelievably low prices. My DH, son, and I canoed around Lake Jennie, hiked Cascade Canyon trail -- gorgeous views, the wildlife, waterfalls. I would love to go back and do that again. It is just so peaceful, truely God's country.

We thought The Grand Tetons was less congested with people. Yellowstone was car after car, camper, etc.

I would do both parks, but spend more time at The Grand Tetons.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! And thank you all very much!!

My son and I have our trip over planned, but not on the way back. We are leaving home on the 25, then to Klamath Falls~Burns~Twin Falls, spending a night in each spot. We don't have to be back on any given time so its an open road!!! :P Oh my gosh I can hardly wait...

Nolan is excited to eat Nacho's at Signal Mtn and a burger at Billy's Burgers!! He said all he wants to do it hike and eat!! The kid is easy to please!!

Thank you all...you are all such wonderful friends!

Lori

Hi Everyone! And thank you all very much!!

My son and I have our trip over planned, but not on the way back. We are leaving home on the 25, then to Klamath Falls~Burns~Twin Falls, spending a night in each spot. We don't have to be back on any given time so its an open road!!! :P Oh my gosh I can hardly wait...

Nolan is excited to eat Nacho's at Signal Mtn and a burger at Billy's Burgers!! He said all he wants to do it hike and eat!! The kid is easy to please!!

Thank you all...you are all such wonderful friends!

Lori

• 1 month later...

Here's my little update on our Yellowstone trip. We took 3 days to get there and had a blast, the Jerome KOA was awesome and so was the Shoshone (SP?) Falls. We made it to our camp site, in Yellowstone, but was told by the people leaving that a bear walked through the camp the night before...Ok...so I was a little scared! ( no, I was REALLY scared ) The first night went well, we unpacked the car, set up the tent, then put all food items back in the car! Not going to take any chances! The second and third night didn't go so well. It turns out that I am more afraid of rain, thunder, lightning and 35 to 40 mile an hour winds than I was the bear. So we asked our friends who had a weather radio to tune in and and see what the forecast was for the next 2 nights...can you believe it! More of the same. I am afraid I am just not that adventures. We packed up and left, but not before seeing a lot of wild life, including THE bear! The days were nice, so we hiked and did all the tourist things! Yellowstone is beautiful! I saw Old Faithful and loved it. We saw a "Tom Hanks" look alike at Old Faithful..the man stood just like Tom did in "Forest Gump" it was great. On the way home we stayed in Jackson. Awesome little town, they really have it together!. We went through Kristina's city of Ely, but I had forgotten my note book and couldn't call her. (wasn't happy with myself!) I am planning another trip for next summer, my son and I think we would like to go back to Jackson and do the tourist thing there, next time I won't forget my notebook!

Thank you everyone for giving us tips on what to to. All in all it was a wonderful trip. Would I do it again, Yes! (maybe next time I would bring a trailer! :P)

Lori

Archived