Quilt Shops and Longarmer in Virginia Area

I have a neighbor/customer who is moving with her family to Vienna/Fairfax area of VA. I told her I would find the names and locations of some quilt shops for her and the name of a longarmer in the area.

I've quilted a few antique tops that her Aunt hand sewed and left her. She loves all of the quilt shops in our area and is looking forward to moving with her (9 y.o.?) triplet sons and 1 daughter to be closer to family (babysitters).

Hope someone can help me.;);)

I have a neighbor/customer who is moving with her family to Vienna/Fairfax area of VA. I told her I would find the names and locations of some quilt shops for her and the name of a longarmer in the area.

I've quilted a few antique tops that her Aunt hand sewed and left her. She loves all of the quilt shops in our area and is looking forward to moving with her (9 y.o.?) triplet sons and 1 daughter to be closer to family (babysitters).

Hope someone can help me.;);)

There is also G Street. I used to go to the one in Centreville because it was really close to me.

Jinny Beyer's Studio in Great Falls is not far from Fairfax.

I have not been to the Artful Quilter since it moved to Burke but I used to love it when it was in Centreville. They had a long arm in the store when it was in Centreville.

Plus there is a really active guild in NOVA, Quilters' Unlimited, that has multiple chapters.

There is also G Street. I used to go to the one in Centreville because it was really close to me.

Jinny Beyer's Studio in Great Falls is not far from Fairfax.

I have not been to the Artful Quilter since it moved to Burke but I used to love it when it was in Centreville. They had a long arm in the store when it was in Centreville.

Plus there is a really active guild in NOVA, Quilters' Unlimited, that has multiple chapters.

Hey Susan,

I live in Fredericksburg and it is about 50 miles south of DC on I-95. I have not been to the quilt patch but hear that is is good, we also have the Quilt & Sew Shop here in the 'burg', and another favorite of mine is called "That little quilt shop" out in Madison VA. There are several of us LA'rs here in Fredericksburg, I'd be glad to answer any questions when she arrives....just u2 me and I'll send you my email and ph #.

Thanks,

Hey Susan,

I live in Fredericksburg and it is about 50 miles south of DC on I-95. I have not been to the quilt patch but hear that is is good, we also have the Quilt & Sew Shop here in the 'burg', and another favorite of mine is called "That little quilt shop" out in Madison VA. There are several of us LA'rs here in Fredericksburg, I'd be glad to answer any questions when she arrives....just u2 me and I'll send you my email and ph #.

Thanks,

Heidi, G Street moved out of Potomac Mills Area. The G Street at 7 Corners is close. They are also not the quilting powerhouse they were when I lived here before. Their prices average $2+ more a yard than the going rate and the quality is not was it used to be. Their selection is not great either. It is a shame.

Jinny Beyer Studio www.jinnybeyer.com She has a store in Great Falls VA. West of DC. Easy to find.

Most local stores don’t seem to carry a lot of her fabrics, probably because she has a store. Her store sells her fabric and books exclusively. She has a second Saturday club for $25 a year. She has an online newsletter that is extraordinary.

Web Fabrics www.webfabrics.net Store is west of DC. She has a store and an amazing web shop. She may want your info for long arm quilting. She also has Free Saturday demos. She may allow you to demo there. She attends most of the quilt shows in the Mid-Atlantic. This is one of my favorite stores.

Quilt Patch in Fairfax www.quiltpatchva.com She is a Bernina Dealer. She has a good quilt store – worth the drive. She has lots of classes. Online newsletter. Kathy Gray works there. She has a long arm business. Used to do mine but her backlog was too long for just my panto requests.

The Artful Quilter www.artfulquilter.com They rent long arm time. They are into artistic quilts. They are in Springfield now. I like their new location.

Bonny’s Sewing and Fabric www.springfieldsewing.com She is a Pfaff/Husqvarna/Tin Lizzie dealer. Small store right off the highway. Easy to find. Small amount of fabric.

G Street Fabrics www.gstreetfabrics.com Multiple locations. Each store is different. I go to Seven Corners since it is closer. They have quilt clubs and in store shows.

Material Girl Quilt Shop www.materialgirlsquilt.com They are located in MD off 301. Bernina Dealer. Lots of classes. The store is very nice. One of my favorites. They seem nice and have great sales.

Michelles Quilts-N-Things www.michellesquilts.com She is in Calvert County MD. She is a long armer too. She does sell some long arm supplies. Store is good and has lots of stuff.

Cotton Seed Glory Quilt Shop www.cottonseedglory.com In Annapolis MD. Bernina Dealer. Worth the drive. Lots of fabric. Lots of classes.

Bear’s Paw Fabrics www.bearspawfabrics.com They only have one store now in Northern Baltimore. They are a Bernina Dealer. They sell Superior Thread – one of the few places you can get more than one kind of Superior Thread in a store.

Seminole Sampler Quilt Store www.seminolesampler.com In Columbia MD. Good fabric store. I think a Janome Dealer. Classes.

Capital Quilts www.capitalquilts.com In Gaithersburg. I like the store just too far away from where I live.

Sistos Quilting and Knitting www.sistosquilting.com In Frederick MD.

Needles & Pins www.needles-n-pins.com I have only been once but I remember liking this store for some reason.

Traditions at the White Swan www.quiltwhiteswan.com Nice quilt store. If you are in the Gaithersburg area, you may want to go here.

There are Joanne stores all around town.

Myrna Ficken and Julie Graves live in the area.

The Quilters Unlimited group has guilds all over the area. There is a shop hop in November for many of these stores. Quilt Patch usually has a bus trip they put together.

Hope this helps.

Heidi, G Street moved out of Potomac Mills Area. The G Street at 7 Corners is close. They are also not the quilting powerhouse they were when I lived here before. Their prices average $2+ more a yard than the going rate and the quality is not was it used to be. Their selection is not great either. It is a shame.

Jinny Beyer Studio www.jinnybeyer.com She has a store in Great Falls VA. West of DC. Easy to find.

Most local stores don’t seem to carry a lot of her fabrics, probably because she has a store. Her store sells her fabric and books exclusively. She has a second Saturday club for $25 a year. She has an online newsletter that is extraordinary.

Web Fabrics www.webfabrics.net Store is west of DC. She has a store and an amazing web shop. She may want your info for long arm quilting. She also has Free Saturday demos. She may allow you to demo there. She attends most of the quilt shows in the Mid-Atlantic. This is one of my favorite stores.

Quilt Patch in Fairfax www.quiltpatchva.com She is a Bernina Dealer. She has a good quilt store – worth the drive. She has lots of classes. Online newsletter. Kathy Gray works there. She has a long arm business. Used to do mine but her backlog was too long for just my panto requests.

The Artful Quilter www.artfulquilter.com They rent long arm time. They are into artistic quilts. They are in Springfield now. I like their new location.

Bonny’s Sewing and Fabric www.springfieldsewing.com She is a Pfaff/Husqvarna/Tin Lizzie dealer. Small store right off the highway. Easy to find. Small amount of fabric.

G Street Fabrics www.gstreetfabrics.com Multiple locations. Each store is different. I go to Seven Corners since it is closer. They have quilt clubs and in store shows.

Material Girl Quilt Shop www.materialgirlsquilt.com They are located in MD off 301. Bernina Dealer. Lots of classes. The store is very nice. One of my favorites. They seem nice and have great sales.

Michelles Quilts-N-Things www.michellesquilts.com She is in Calvert County MD. She is a long armer too. She does sell some long arm supplies. Store is good and has lots of stuff.

Cotton Seed Glory Quilt Shop www.cottonseedglory.com In Annapolis MD. Bernina Dealer. Worth the drive. Lots of fabric. Lots of classes.

Bear’s Paw Fabrics www.bearspawfabrics.com They only have one store now in Northern Baltimore. They are a Bernina Dealer. They sell Superior Thread – one of the few places you can get more than one kind of Superior Thread in a store.

Seminole Sampler Quilt Store www.seminolesampler.com In Columbia MD. Good fabric store. I think a Janome Dealer. Classes.

Capital Quilts www.capitalquilts.com In Gaithersburg. I like the store just too far away from where I live.

Sistos Quilting and Knitting www.sistosquilting.com In Frederick MD.

Needles & Pins www.needles-n-pins.com I have only been once but I remember liking this store for some reason.

Traditions at the White Swan www.quiltwhiteswan.com Nice quilt store. If you are in the Gaithersburg area, you may want to go here.

There are Joanne stores all around town.

Myrna Ficken and Julie Graves live in the area.

The Quilters Unlimited group has guilds all over the area. There is a shop hop in November for many of these stores. Quilt Patch usually has a bus trip they put together.

Hope this helps.

Wow, I didn't know all this and I have lived here for 7 years!

Heidi, I love this area but you are right about the traffic. My DH recently left his job in DC as the commute was a major reason..now my per SIL does it. I still get up to Quantico every now and then to shop, the commissary and Exchange is really nice and worth the drive. But F'bg is such a nice little town with a small town feel and the advantages of the nearby big city and all its advantages.

I did go to the Quilter's Unlimited Quilt show last weekend up at the Dulles Expo center and it was one the the nicest ones they've had in awhile. Guess I need to check out some of these other shops too!

Wow, I didn't know all this and I have lived here for 7 years!

Heidi, I love this area but you are right about the traffic. My DH recently left his job in DC as the commute was a major reason..now my per SIL does it. I still get up to Quantico every now and then to shop, the commissary and Exchange is really nice and worth the drive. But F'bg is such a nice little town with a small town feel and the advantages of the nearby big city and all its advantages.

I did go to the Quilter's Unlimited Quilt show last weekend up at the Dulles Expo center and it was one the the nicest ones they've had in awhile. Guess I need to check out some of these other shops too!

Wow Brenni what a great list. I still come through the area on my way down to NC. G-Street was not among my favorites and I'm not surprised they didn't survive at Potomac. I guess it's been at least a year since I stopped there. I didn't buy much quilting fabric from them but I did get speciality fabric there. I bought the lace for my Godchilds wedding dress there 3 years ago. It was really expensive, I think $189 a yard but it was the perfect lace!!!!

I'll have to bookmark this list so that the next time we drive down maybe we'll have time to hit a store on the way.

Wow Brenni what a great list. I still come through the area on my way down to NC. G-Street was not among my favorites and I'm not surprised they didn't survive at Potomac. I guess it's been at least a year since I stopped there. I didn't buy much quilting fabric from them but I did get speciality fabric there. I bought the lace for my Godchilds wedding dress there 3 years ago. It was really expensive, I think $189 a yard but it was the perfect lace!!!!

I'll have to bookmark this list so that the next time we drive down maybe we'll have time to hit a store on the way.

Great list, I didn't know there were that many places in the North end of the state. Vicky, I was at the Quilter's Unlimited show on Saturday. I usually drive up from VA Beach for it and the Quilt and Sewing Expo each year. I thought this year's show was excellent!!! Loved the quilts, most were traditional which are my favorites. I spent to much on the vendors which were well planned. I went to the IKEA store for the first time, WOW could I go wild in that place if I had a larger quilt studio.

Great list, I didn't know there were that many places in the North end of the state. Vicky, I was at the Quilter's Unlimited show on Saturday. I usually drive up from VA Beach for it and the Quilt and Sewing Expo each year. I thought this year's show was excellent!!! Loved the quilts, most were traditional which are my favorites. I spent to much on the vendors which were well planned. I went to the IKEA store for the first time, WOW could I go wild in that place if I had a larger quilt studio.

Hi Connie,

Yep I think it was the best show I've seen in awhile, I think it was all of the applique quilts and some really interesting new quilting ideas that did it for me. And of course the vendors too....We went on Friday and actually passed a carfull of quilters from our guild on 95 and we honked at each other like 2 cars full of teenagers...

My daughter loves Ikea - we call it her "Mother Ship":D

Archived