Would you move your busniess out of your home if opportunity called?

Gee thanks everyone for some things that I already knew but forgot and some things that I didn't realize.

It's great to get advice from people who have been there, done that or haven't been there and don't wish to do that! Ha!

I need to ponder some more with the family and the gal who owns the shop. Will let everyone know what I decided so that others can learn!

Thanks again!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kids are 9-16 (3 girls AAGH! and a boy). They're the reason I started the home business to begin with.

I have another idea that I thought of for this that doesn't involve moving my long arm and entire business out of the house and away, but still may help my business and the gal who owns the quilt shop.

Again, will let everyone know what happens!

Thanks!

The kids are 9-16 (3 girls AAGH! and a boy). They're the reason I started the home business to begin with.

I have another idea that I thought of for this that doesn't involve moving my long arm and entire business out of the house and away, but still may help my business and the gal who owns the quilt shop.

Again, will let everyone know what happens!

Thanks!

Originally posted by NollR

The kids are 9-16 (3 girls AAGH! and a boy). They're the reason I started the home business to begin with....

You got some great advice! Sometimes great opportunities come up, but the timing is not right. You would be far away from your kids. And, IMHO, at these ages, they need momma near by and there for them; especially those girls!! Gotta keep a short leash on them girlies! ;):D Think about it: in 5-10 years they will all be out of the house and in college or on their own. If I were you, I'd let this idea simmer on the back burner for a few weeks....

Here's a thought: Take a big sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle so you have two columns and post this sheet of paper on a wall where you see it every day for the next few weeks. On the left column write all the positives (benefits) of renting this shop space, and on the right column, jot down all the negatives (not so wonderful) reasons for taking this shop space. Pretty soon you will see a clear picture. Writing things down and looking at it helps you to see the big picture.

Originally posted by NollR

The kids are 9-16 (3 girls AAGH! and a boy). They're the reason I started the home business to begin with....

You got some great advice! Sometimes great opportunities come up, but the timing is not right. You would be far away from your kids. And, IMHO, at these ages, they need momma near by and there for them; especially those girls!! Gotta keep a short leash on them girlies! ;):D Think about it: in 5-10 years they will all be out of the house and in college or on their own. If I were you, I'd let this idea simmer on the back burner for a few weeks....

Here's a thought: Take a big sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle so you have two columns and post this sheet of paper on a wall where you see it every day for the next few weeks. On the left column write all the positives (benefits) of renting this shop space, and on the right column, jot down all the negatives (not so wonderful) reasons for taking this shop space. Pretty soon you will see a clear picture. Writing things down and looking at it helps you to see the big picture.

Shana's idea of writing down pros and cons like that is EXACTLY what DH and I did when we started our business 15 years ago, AND that's what we did when we decided to call it quits on that business 2 years ago, too! Give it a try...it really works! No regrets here.

I personally didn't like the hourly drive every day and when it's bad weather, you HAVE to get out in it.

Best of luck in your decision.

Shana's idea of writing down pros and cons like that is EXACTLY what DH and I did when we started our business 15 years ago, AND that's what we did when we decided to call it quits on that business 2 years ago, too! Give it a try...it really works! No regrets here.

I personally didn't like the hourly drive every day and when it's bad weather, you HAVE to get out in it.

Best of luck in your decision.

For those wishing to get their LA's out of the house so to speak, here's another option often overlooked that you may want to investigate. Renting a space in a good well lit light commercial industrial/business park that is near your home is way cheaper than renting a retail store front plus your ins. is lots cheaper. The pluses being that you can set up appointment much like at home, and not have the burden of always being open to the public like at a retail store front. Plus you have the space to sell some items notions/kits etc. that's related to your business if you want. Hold classes and usually ample parking.

I have a few friends who choose this route and they love it and their customers do too.

Terry

For those wishing to get their LA's out of the house so to speak, here's another option often overlooked that you may want to investigate. Renting a space in a good well lit light commercial industrial/business park that is near your home is way cheaper than renting a retail store front plus your ins. is lots cheaper. The pluses being that you can set up appointment much like at home, and not have the burden of always being open to the public like at a retail store front. Plus you have the space to sell some items notions/kits etc. that's related to your business if you want. Hold classes and usually ample parking.

I have a few friends who choose this route and they love it and their customers do too.

Terry

Pro--

All that space-gobbling machinery and accessories are out of your house.

Con--

All that space-gobbling machinery and accessories are miles away.

Pro--

The price is right.

Con--

How many more quilts a month will you need to quilt to pay the rent, pay for gas, and wear and tear on the car? And factor in your drive time, which could be quilting time.

Pro--

Potentially more customers.

Con--

Customers distracting you--more drop-ins unless you limit in-take and pick-up times. Probably not possible because of the retail side. I like the lock-the-door idea. Keeps lookie-lous out.

It would not be a good situation for me, but I know you will weigh all the factors and make the right decision for you.

Pro--

All that space-gobbling machinery and accessories are out of your house.

Con--

All that space-gobbling machinery and accessories are miles away.

Pro--

The price is right.

Con--

How many more quilts a month will you need to quilt to pay the rent, pay for gas, and wear and tear on the car? And factor in your drive time, which could be quilting time.

Pro--

Potentially more customers.

Con--

Customers distracting you--more drop-ins unless you limit in-take and pick-up times. Probably not possible because of the retail side. I like the lock-the-door idea. Keeps lookie-lous out.

It would not be a good situation for me, but I know you will weigh all the factors and make the right decision for you.

Guest Linda S

Most folks I know who moved out to a shop eventually moved back home (unless the shop was in the back yard). Too many interruptions.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Most folks I know who moved out to a shop eventually moved back home (unless the shop was in the back yard). Too many interruptions.

Linda

When I had my studio in Reno I rented a 400 square foot industrial office, didn't have any kids at home and no one depended on my for that, hubby would pop in and see if I was cooking supper that night or if he needed to run over something or if he needed to use his can opening. I did take care of Siana while I was there, but she played outside the shop in a quite area and I could watch her as I was quilting. I had the studio for 7 years before moving it to the house. And the only reason I moved it to the house was I knew I was moving to NY but didn't know actually when and I wouldn't be able to get out of my yearly contract without paying a stiff penalty so when the time for renewal came I opped out and moved it to the house. I never got anything done, I found myself watching TV more than quilting, I had to force myself to quilt.

I hated it at the house I missed my studio, but I didn't share with anyone. Even my friends who would show up without asking if they could come have a play date soon learned that my studio was mine and I didn't like to be interupted unless it was a scheduled play day...I can't imagine what it wouuld be like in a Quilt shop where the customers could just pop in and stand and watch you. I didn't have problems with people watching, but they seem to want to gab and inquire about what you are doing and how much this or that cost...I didn't have time for that I was quilting...

I had been asked several times to move the machine to the quilt shop I quilted for, but decided not to as I wouldn't have access to the machine during times I wanted when the store was closed, I wouldn't have the freedom to come and go as I was use to and I would have been paying more for my space than where I was at. Being at the quilt store wouldn't have worked for me so I didn't move it. Now I have a 1400 square foot basement studio and love my basement commute, but I don't quilt for customers anymore and play when I want to and there are days I don't even go down and look at things.

My biggest reason I wouldn't have a partnership with someone....is the horror stories I hear about friendships being torn apart and cat fights and messy partner divorces...if you need to get a place outside of the home...do it by yourself and you won't have that hassle.

When I had my studio in Reno I rented a 400 square foot industrial office, didn't have any kids at home and no one depended on my for that, hubby would pop in and see if I was cooking supper that night or if he needed to run over something or if he needed to use his can opening. I did take care of Siana while I was there, but she played outside the shop in a quite area and I could watch her as I was quilting. I had the studio for 7 years before moving it to the house. And the only reason I moved it to the house was I knew I was moving to NY but didn't know actually when and I wouldn't be able to get out of my yearly contract without paying a stiff penalty so when the time for renewal came I opped out and moved it to the house. I never got anything done, I found myself watching TV more than quilting, I had to force myself to quilt.

I hated it at the house I missed my studio, but I didn't share with anyone. Even my friends who would show up without asking if they could come have a play date soon learned that my studio was mine and I didn't like to be interupted unless it was a scheduled play day...I can't imagine what it wouuld be like in a Quilt shop where the customers could just pop in and stand and watch you. I didn't have problems with people watching, but they seem to want to gab and inquire about what you are doing and how much this or that cost...I didn't have time for that I was quilting...

I had been asked several times to move the machine to the quilt shop I quilted for, but decided not to as I wouldn't have access to the machine during times I wanted when the store was closed, I wouldn't have the freedom to come and go as I was use to and I would have been paying more for my space than where I was at. Being at the quilt store wouldn't have worked for me so I didn't move it. Now I have a 1400 square foot basement studio and love my basement commute, but I don't quilt for customers anymore and play when I want to and there are days I don't even go down and look at things.

My biggest reason I wouldn't have a partnership with someone....is the horror stories I hear about friendships being torn apart and cat fights and messy partner divorces...if you need to get a place outside of the home...do it by yourself and you won't have that hassle.

I have my studio in my home as well. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have everything in a shop and out of the house. But then I would have to quilt on a schedule, would actually have to get dressed if I wanted or needed to quilt (no more P.J.'s) and then there is the travel time. I have a full time job other than quilting with an hour drive one way, so my quilting time is limited with this alone. Now if I would add the addition time with having a shop, I wouldn't get any quilting done. I would suggest you grab a pad of paper and a pen and list the pro's and con's.

I have my studio in my home as well. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have everything in a shop and out of the house. But then I would have to quilt on a schedule, would actually have to get dressed if I wanted or needed to quilt (no more P.J.'s) and then there is the travel time. I have a full time job other than quilting with an hour drive one way, so my quilting time is limited with this alone. Now if I would add the addition time with having a shop, I wouldn't get any quilting done. I would suggest you grab a pad of paper and a pen and list the pro's and con's.

I have just recently rented a space just because I needed the space! If you have the time to dedicate to spending time away from home, I'd go for it. You'll be more productive knowing you have a certain amount of time to quilt. But, if you feel guilty being away from home, think twice. I've worried about this but I've had to give it a rest. My son is thirteen and totally reliant ( he may starve to death because I'm not there, but I'm sure he'd figure it out before he actually died). its totally a mind game on my part. End game: productivity while you're there. Good for me.

I have just recently rented a space just because I needed the space! If you have the time to dedicate to spending time away from home, I'd go for it. You'll be more productive knowing you have a certain amount of time to quilt. But, if you feel guilty being away from home, think twice. I've worried about this but I've had to give it a rest. My son is thirteen and totally reliant ( he may starve to death because I'm not there, but I'm sure he'd figure it out before he actually died). its totally a mind game on my part. End game: productivity while you're there. Good for me.

Now, when you are quilting and you are sick and have a drippy nose you can quilt in your pajamas without combing you hair. No one has to know you put your tissue on the belly bar right next to the quilt. No one cares you didn't brush your teeth because you just feel like crap that thought the taste of the toothpaste might make you throw up. You can quilt all night if you want and not one will "get you!" Also one of your children can come in and read you a story they wrote in Language class and you can help them with it. I'd close in the carport for the same amount of money and stay home. Take if from someone who worked away from home for 30 years.

Now, when you are quilting and you are sick and have a drippy nose you can quilt in your pajamas without combing you hair. No one has to know you put your tissue on the belly bar right next to the quilt. No one cares you didn't brush your teeth because you just feel like crap that thought the taste of the toothpaste might make you throw up. You can quilt all night if you want and not one will "get you!" Also one of your children can come in and read you a story they wrote in Language class and you can help them with it. I'd close in the carport for the same amount of money and stay home. Take if from someone who worked away from home for 30 years.

A local Quilt Shop asked me to rent part of her space a year or so ago. It would have meant a 40 minute drive each way, longer in winter, covering the store if she had to go out, interruptions from customers, limited working hours, no way to separate the quilting area from the store area, rent etc...I couldn't see a single reason to do it but am fortunate to have my studio above our 2nd garage so it's separate from the house. I 'go to work' both mentally & physically.

Unfortunately, the store has since gone out of business and 'friends ' felt I should have done it to save her business, but I refuse to feel any responsibility for that.

A local Quilt Shop asked me to rent part of her space a year or so ago. It would have meant a 40 minute drive each way, longer in winter, covering the store if she had to go out, interruptions from customers, limited working hours, no way to separate the quilting area from the store area, rent etc...I couldn't see a single reason to do it but am fortunate to have my studio above our 2nd garage so it's separate from the house. I 'go to work' both mentally & physically.

Unfortunately, the store has since gone out of business and 'friends ' felt I should have done it to save her business, but I refuse to feel any responsibility for that.

Two weeks ago, I was offered a space of 1,100 sq ft. utilities included for $1.10 per sq feet. She is a guild member who will be opening a quilt shop in October, 2010. I thought about it for a few days and I politely said thank you but not for me. I have to work hard just to pay for my rent.

She was thinking of a longarm machine down the road also.

Two weeks ago, I was offered a space of 1,100 sq ft. utilities included for $1.10 per sq feet. She is a guild member who will be opening a quilt shop in October, 2010. I thought about it for a few days and I politely said thank you but not for me. I have to work hard just to pay for my rent.

She was thinking of a longarm machine down the road also.

Archived