ethical issues -- what would you do?

I recently attended, and exhibited at, a quilt show which had a particularly small size limitation. The quilts could have a perimeter of no larger than 144 inches.

When the show opened, it was in a very dark room, poorly hung (my friend actually secretly re-hung one of my quilts to try to get it straight). Many of the quilts were flapping around, pinned to black curtains in the dark. My mostly-black quilt was barely visible to the naked eye. I was not alone with this issue. The room was half empty, with the few small quilts mostly bunched in the center.

The worst part was that a high percentage of the quilts hung were larger than the size limitation. I could understand this if they were labeled as a "Special Exhibit" (as I was told they were), but there was nothing on the display wall to indicate this. In fact the quilt hanging next to mine was larger than allowed, and was NOT part of this "special exhibit."

The size limit was introduced only a few months before the show, and had not been imposed on this same show in prior years. People often begin working no their show entries up to a year ahead. I personally know of at least 6 local quilters, all very accomplished quilt artists, who declined to enter the show because they did not have time to create a new quilt, but who would have entered existing quilts, had they known that larger quilts would be allowed. All those quilts are the approximate size of the ones in the show, which ended up being prize winners.

Three prizes were awarded at the end of the show. The hand quilting ribbon went to one of the quilts in the "Special Exhibit." The Viewers' Choice went to a larger quilt, which also happened to be a teacher's quilt (in my experience, usually ineligible for a prize for that reason alone). The only prize-winner was that actually met the criteria for show entry was for machine quilting. It is a beautiful quilt and deserved to win. The others were beautiful also, but it has left a very bad taste with those who did not think their work was eligible. It also made for a poorer show, since there was so much empty space in the room.

Some of the people who were adversely affected are my customers, but more importantly all are my friends. This show is not run buy a local club, but is organized by folks from another state, who supposedly have a nationwide reputation. What would you do? Is there any official way to protest this?

Catherine,

I am sorry that the quilt show wasn't up to what everyone expected or deserved. It's a shame since everyone does their best and have high hopes of winning. I don't know if there is anything that you could do except write or call the people who put this together to voice your disapointmnet.

Originally posted by seakitten

.... This show is not run buy a local club, but is organized by folks from another state, who supposedly have a nationwide reputation. What would you do? Is there any official way to protest this?

Well, I do think that suggestions, feedback, comments, complaints, etc. should be forwarded to the organizers so they are aware. If you have persons names of the organization, try to make some connections via phone. (use google to search) Emails are not the best way to handle this. I would call and talk with someone. Then gather all the comments together in an email and then send that to the person. but call first. There might be more to the story than you know, so give this person the benefit of the doubt. I am sure they would want to improve for next year. Very unfortunate this happend but the good news is, things can only get better for next year, right? :)

Well Shana, I know the organizers, they have been doing this for many years and should know how to do it. I think there might be a reason, not connected to them, for the poor lighting and location. However, there can be simply no excuse for not following their own rules, which they required others to follow. It did not have any effect on me personally, my quilts got in, but it hurt others. If I tell them what I really think, they might never come back, which would not help the local quilters much (though I don't think it could hurt much either).

Catherine, I still think you should at least voice your concerns. If nobody does, then the way they do the shows never changes because "nobody complained".

I'm sure you can find a way to say it so that it is constructive criticism instead of complaining.

Catherine, one of the things in your favor in discussing the issue with the organizers is that your quilt did fit the criteria and was able to be in the show. If you are able to focus on your disappointment in not having more quilts to view because you know of quilters who did not enter because of the changed size factor, then you are not being "greedy" for the awards but trying to have others join the show. I would start out mentioning that you had some questions about the show structure so you could understand the thought behind it better. That usually gets people off the defensive side and give a better dialog.

I agree that this doesn't sound like a quality job up to their usual standards.

An effective way to convey your thoughts and to keep from being thought a whiner--

State what your expectations were and then show how they were not met. Then let them know how that impacted your visit.

For example--" Most quilt shows are brightly lit so the quilts can be both enjoyed and photographed. The venue was dimly-lit and so much of the pleasure of viewing the quilts was lost--quilting could not be seen and the darker quilts were impossible to enjoy."

" I believe the bigger the better, as far as shows go. Unfortunately, the small number of entries was disappointing. It makes a visitor think hard about returning to visit next year."

" Most shows have a maximum size requirement, but this shows small maximum size seemed to unduly restrict the number of entries. I was also disappointed to see that there were many quilts entered that seemed to disregard the size requirement. A re-examination of the rules for this show seems to be necessary--I would hate to see the show be canceled due to lack of participation by quilters and a lack of attendance because of issues so easily remedied."

blah blah blah...

I bet that the organizers are already aware of all this--bad news travels fast and far. Add your voice to the chorus logically and calmly--they will listen.

Can I come next year?;)

Ditto Linda,,

I have a friend that lives in Hilo & knows all

about how this show runs from hearing it from shop owners & quilters on

the island,, I mean why bother if they can't get people to come,

they also can't take pictures!!? She's saving for the mainland shows, can't

say I really blame her. ;(

Yes, you Lindas are both right. Believe me I know how to write the letter (remember I am a lawyer), but frankly I am still too angry to do it effectively, so your thoughts are helping me to focus. Calling them on the phone would NOT be a good thing.

Sure Linda R, you can come next year; the show will be on Oahu & I probably won't be going, but you can come by here anyway.

They did let you take pictures this time. I always make something special for this show (or have in the past), because I believe it is important to support local enterprise & they have many local vendors represented, but there was little new in the way of classes & most of the local quilters did not bother to attend this year. These people do not pay much attention to our suggestions in any case, you are right about that Linda A. Who's your friend, maybe I know her?

Linda Rech: do come, do come! I'm considering coming over for the show, and to do training and machine maintenance. If I can't find someone to loan me a spare bed (even a hide-a-bed), I'll need to get a hotel room, and who better to share it with? I've had a great time here on the Kona Coast, and Catherine has made me feel right at home, and I just know that the Oahu ladies are up to the challenge!!

Originally posted by seakitten

Yes, you Lindas are both right. Believe me I know how to write the letter (remember I am a lawyer), but frankly I am still too angry to do it effectively, so your thoughts are helping me to focus. Calling them on the phone would NOT be a good thing.

Sure Linda R, you can come next year; the show will be on Oahu & I probably won't be going, but you can come by here anyway.

They did let you take pictures this time. I always make something special for this show (or have in the past), because I believe it is important to support local enterprise & they have many local vendors represented, but there was little new in the way of classes & most of the local quilters did not bother to attend this year. These people do not pay much attention to our suggestions in any case, you are right about that Linda A. Who's your friend, maybe I know her?

Her name is Karen Daniels,, they just finished building their new home, she hasn't had time to get plug into the quilting community yet, is there a guild there I am assuming? (Karen is a hoot, I worked with her for many years @ H.P. She just retired.)

I'll be over there within the next 6 months, I will be sure to look you up Catherine! :)

Archived