Hows to quilt sashing

I am working on my quilt. It took over 60 hours to piece and I have at least that in quilting so far. I do have one question. The blocks themselves are heavily quilted around the applique. Do I need to quilt the 3/4" sashing, I like how it pops unquilted, it is stiched in the ditch around it? Also how about the 2" Inner border, it is the same as the sashing and pops well, but was concerned about leaving a 2" border unquilted. Also would I need to densly quilt it also or just put a design down the center? I know these are dumb questions, I had hoped to get it done for our state quilt show, but it won't make it as I want to put beads and crystals on the applique pieces. I have just done the background and now I have to do the sashing, border and applique. I think if it was someone else's quilt it would be easier to decide.

TIA

Shirley

Guest Linda S

Shirley - I live by the rule that there are no rules. Do what is pleasing to your eye. It sounds as though the 3/4 inch sashing will be just fine. If you've quilted the rest of the quilt fairly densely, 2" might be a little large to leave unquilted, but 3/4 of an inch should be fine. I like to do ribbon candy in small borders. Very quick and easy.

Linda

Good advice Linda. Shirley I would have answered just as Linda did. The thing that you want to be careful is that you keep the quilting pretty consistent in density or you might end up with waves in your quilt. I think in a 2" border I would try to come up with a loose flowing design or just so echo quilting. Candy ribbon would probably look really nice in a 2" border. You always want to leave some areas unquilted so that you get that texture.

I'd put something in the smaller border even if just a wavy line. I'm attaching 2 pictures of a quilt I did, one without stitching and one with stitching. Once I took it off the machine, the border just poofed too much. The first picture is with stitching. The little blue border is 3/4 inch. After I had the binding on, I decided I couldn't live with the border not stitched down.

post--13461904411826_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll finish the background them go back and do the borders, then the applique. If I ever get the darn thing done I'll post a picture. I'll post one before the beads and crystals then one after. Hopefully be done in the next week or two. My husbands vacation days, keep cutting into my quilting time!

Thanks again

Shirley

Archived