Aluminum marks on clothing

Guest Linda S

You know, I don't usually get very dirty quilting. I do get a lot of threads stuck to my clothes, but that's about it. As far as white shorts go, I have a mirror in my bathroom that lets me see my backside. I haven't worn a pair of white shorts in years!! :P;)

Linda

I did wear a white skirt the other day Frogger:

And got that gray stuff on it from the rails, :( I just threw it in the wash w/ Tide & bleach, I allso tend to soak my laundry because I have 2 boy's & a man in construction.

I find that if you soak for about 15 min's most every thing comes out, at lest it did for me, & every thing smells much better too. I don't think I even pre-treated the skirt. :)

I wondered if you all are putting the car wax on your rails as demo'd in the video that comes with the machine. I just talked to Mark recently and he said DO NOT put any wax on the rails. Just clean them with alcohol. Be nice if they would correct the video.

No marks on me, but I'm pretty new at this and so is my machine.

Hugs, Joy

I clean my rails with cotton and alcohol. If anyone could get dirty - that would be me - and I never have (knock on wood). But I really go over my rails until the cotton ball is totally clean. NO WAX!! Not that I don't think you need it, but I just have decided that I am not going to use it. There are some say you should, and some say you don't need it. I don't know why there is such a difference of opinion on this, but I think that is all it is. I am so excited to get quilting, and that just is one more step that seems un-necessary. Personal opinion:)

I wipe my rails and wheels down every morning with alcohol and I still get the aluminum streaks on my clothes, kahkis, whites, even jeans. You just can't see it as much on the jeans. I frequently have to wipe them down every couple of rows with large quilts because the machine starts dragging. I'm curious about why some people don't have the problem and others do. Could it have to do with when the aluminum rails were manufactured or who the supplier was? Anybody out there know?

Anne

Hah! I knew there was a reason not to do pantographs besides the fact that I don't want to! When I was a high school math teacher, I wore chalk and later white board marker dust on my backside constantly. Now it is usually just threads and dog hair and the occasional bit of lunch I've spilled on the "shelf".

I also have a build up on my rails although I clean after each quilt with alcohol and a cosmetic pad. I often wonder if it is because my machine is in my basement and at times there is more humidity there.

I do think the build up creates a bit of a drag on the machine though.

katie

www.community.webshots.com/user/katiemcgraw

When I took a class from Jamie Wallen and he specifically said that APQS owners should wax their rails w/renaissance wax once a day. I did buy some and waxed the rails. Can't say I noticed much difference. I also was told to use a small amount of WD-40 on the rails. Tried that too but I don't seem to notice too much difference. I find it so interesting when people swear you should wax and others swear you should not. What's a LAer to do? I have noticed that my machine slides along the rails much easier when the quilt top is unrolled/unpinned from the quilt top roller. Does anyone think it's too nigh, too low, or what else? Thanks-Marie

Marie:

I don't understand the difference either. I think I'm the one who initially sent Jamie some Renaissance Wax to try.

Tonight I was quilting and I cleaned the rails with alcohol, cleaned the wheels with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol, rubbed everything clean and dry. I quilted for a while but knew it would feel sooo much better with a quick rub of Renaissance Wax. Rubbed it on, wiped it off and oh . . it glides. Such a difference on my machine. There has to be something different about the machines/rails because I can notice a huge difference after waxing. It isn't that the machine isn't smooth before waxing but it just glides after waxing.

I have been using "Blue Magic" metal polish cream on my rails once a month, it leaves a silicone film on the rails to protect them. I rub them down every time I use the Milli., but find no gray stuff for about a month, then I repolish. I do clean my wheels every time I use the Milli. though

Seems to work for me. Thuogh I don't notice much differance in the smoothness of the machine, I don't get the gray stuff nearly as much.

I wax mine every couple of months with McGuires carnuba wax after cleaning them with alcohol. Most days I spray a cloth with furniture polish and rub over my rails let it sit a couple of minutes and then polish it dry with cotton batting scraps. No rail marks on my clothes or quilts (:P course you don't want to run a wheel over the fabric ) The waxing rails issue seems to go back and forth evey few months. jeri

Linda Steller, you crack me up! For the same reason, I don't have a mirror that reflects below my second chin.

Anyway, I think that the amount of oxidation on the rails may have something to do with where it is. I work in my basement and keep a dehumidifier on and it is also air conditioned. Maybe the moistrue is the cause. When I wipe them down, I don't seem to have a lot of residue on my cloth. I stopped waxing my rails, but I liked it better when I did and I used bowling alley wax. It gets hard and real slippery, which is why I can't use it on my hardwood floors....ask my dog about that! When I waxed my rails with BAW, I hardly ever had black.

Joanne

Guest Linda S

LOL I always remember a comedy routine by Rita Rudner -- she talked about the possibility that everyone in life has a double and, supposedly, if you ever saw your double you would die of a heart attack. She said she was sure that would happen to your double once you turned around after they had come up behind you while you were wearing white shorts!! :P No white shorts in my wardrobe. I don't want to temp fate. ;)

Linda

Archived