Question about disc in bobbin case

Not too long ago a topic was being discussed, and I don't know what the subject was, but somewhere in that thread the bobbin, tension and spin were discussed and someone said to throw away the tension disc and use the bobbin genie instead. Does anyone remembe this? I bought the genies and have a question. I think cjtinkle might have been the one who said that was all she used.

CJ, I don't remember what kind of machine you have but I have the Lenni and it is recommend that the bobbin not sit flush with the edge of the bobbin case but is raised just a bit,hence the tabs on the disc. With the genie I don't get the raised bit . It is very flush with the case and my tension is requiring a LOT of adjusting to get it right; the one thing I never had to do before. I don't want to make a change in the bobbin that is going to require drastic changes for every thread change. Do you find this to be the case with the genie?

No, she does not. That came up when I was taking the maintenance class. Amy said that the Bobbin Genie was introduced for the "M" size bobbins to help with tension issues. However, I'm fairly certain that isn't correct. I believe it was introduced for regular "L" sized bobbins first for domestic machine quilters having tension issues.

I've used them on my Bernina, my HQ16, and now on my Millenium, and I personally think they do a great job.

Part of the reason I like them is that I am forever dropping the metal ones and bending them. The teflon ones are a piece of cake to work with.

Try one and see. You'll either like it or you won't, they're very cheap so no big loss either way.

Janice, I have the Millennium. I can't say that I've paid attention to how it sits, I just plop it in. If it isn't working well for you, go back to the metal one.

I have tried using the Bobbin Genie washers instead of the spring. That didn't work for me. I now use both the washer and the spring, and that's the combination that works for my machine. I have virtually NO backlash now...and I had a great deal of problems before. Try it and see how it works for you with the washer alone, and with the combination of washer and spring. They are inexpensive, and if they work for you, it is worth it.

I use the genie with one bobbin case and the spring in the other. I never throw the spring away, if it isn't needed for one, then I have it when I need it for another. I also sometimes remove the one side of the cardboard bobbin and sometimes don't.. same brand and type prefilled bobbins, yet now and then they all seem to be just a bit diff.

Still haven't found the balance for the eyelashes on the back.. worked both top and bobbin tensions till I think I'm on another planet.. Will return Dawn's call, today. She will get it for sure. I suspect it's possible for the gunky batting.. its the poly stuff that has no consistancy except "bad".

RitaR

I have 3 bobbin cases in regular use, one for prewound masterpiece, no spring no washer, one for my bobbins with masterpiece spring, very rarely a washer and one for my bobbins with thicker threads, spring and washer. It's what keeps my machine happy.

Ferret

Archived