Is anyone near Zirndorf?

Dave-Jane

Hi Jane and Dave,

Dave, I'm not really near to Zirndorf ... but what is far and what is near? :)

I think in comparison to the USA every place in Germany is near. I could be in Nuernberg in about 5 hours by car. I had some friends in Regensburg, that's just 60 Kilimeters from Nürnberg. A nice region.

I'm living more north. The last two days we had the most furious storm and rain in decades, but thank God, my Millie and our house isn't concernd. If you like you can see some picture here:

http://www.osnabrueck.de/katastrophenalarm_2010/

Normally without all the water, Osnabrueck is a nice little town :)

Guten Tag! Kerstin,

Thank You for the response--wow-- Has all of Germany had such rain??

I was there from 1973 to 1975, Had a car and went everywhere. Got into bergstigen,(mountain climbing) I hope I said. Garmisch was my regular sporting area. Had about 3 VW Bugs,(kept blowing them up on the autobahn--LOL) Herr Schnidt at the auto yard and I could change an engine in about 1 hour.

I was just wondering how the town of Zirndorf has advanced and changed, hope its as

beautiful as it was then!

Please stay dry and keep on sewing, If you ever get to Zirndorf, please take some photos for me. I'll have to try and get back there someday. Just loved my first visit! Danke---Dave B.

The closest I came to your town was Hannover, You live in the Most beautiful town in Germany according to Google! Photos are evidence that they are correct.

Dave, your German sounds sweetly :)

Your right, Hannover is not so far from my town. Sometimes I go there for concerts, museums or shopping. And no, the heavy rain was only a stripe of 100 to 150 Kilometres wide going from West to East, unfortunately in our region and also around Hannover ...

Hope you and Jane have a nice weekend having fine meals with many tasty fishs and a nice birthday party for you ;)

Viele Grüße

Kerstin

Hey Heidi,

Did you know you you can call your Mom a Hamburger, being from Hamburg you know!LOL

I loved Germany, so neat , clean, picturesque and so many things to do and see. You were in Nord Bavaria, close to Frankfurt? I used to go on several Volksmarch's, had a jacket that was so heavy with medals that it finally fell apart--so sad.

If you get there before me send some photo's.

Kerstin and Birgit, My wife Jane's madchen name was Bentheimer. We researched and found the village of Bad Bentheim any possibilities there?? We think that is where her Grandpa came from. My Oma and Opa came from around Weiden I believe, My Mothers maiden name is Krushcke. We have a grand family reunion every year, its hard to believe how many can come from one guy and expand since 1899. Must be at least 4-500 people there at the reunion! Oh well, you all have a sehr gutte, tag! aufweidersehen mine fruenden-----Dave B.

Dave,

We actually lived in a little town called Hessenthal (sp?). Made many trips to Frankfurt. When I was little we lived in Baumholder near Wiesbaden. We moved to Germany when I was 5 months old and German was my first language. LOL I can't speak it well now at all but can still understand it some. I keep saying I'm going to do some online tutorials but never seem to find the time. The Vice President of Research at the university I work for is actually from Baumholder. It is a small world for sure!

Dave - I checked Google maps to find that Weiden is a town northeast of Nürnberg in Bavaria - about once across the country from where I sm (Saarbrücken, close to the French border).

Cheri - Kaiserslautern is 45 minutes west of me. I have been a member of the Rhineland Pfalz Quilt Guild on Ramstein airforce base for five years now - ever since I started longarming. There are a LOT of Americans in the greater Kaiserslautern area with the Ramstein, Landstuhl and Kaiserslautern US militay bases.

Birgit

Cheri - Kaiserslautern is 45 minutes west of me. I have been a member of the Rhineland Pfalz Quilt Guild on Ramstein airforce base for five years now - ever since I started longarming. There are a LOT of Americans in the greater Kaiserslautern area with the Ramstein, Landstuhl and Kaiserslautern US militay bases.

Birgit

Birgit, Kaiserslautern was west of where he was at also. He was stationed at North Point which was a nuclear storage facility. The base was near Kirchheimbolanden and he lived in Oberwiesen. Is that close to you?

Cheri

• 2 months later...

We lived in Schuttern/Schwarzwald 1971-73 (near Lahr) and loved it so much we've gone back several times to Germany, the latest being this past summer. Schuttern is the site of the abbey where Marie-Antoinette spent her last night in Germany before crossing to France at Strasbourg. The church still stands. We loved our little village -- now considered part of Friesenheim -- and it hasn't changed much, but the schools where we taught in Lahr, barracks from the Franco-Prussian war (1870), were being demolished. Sad for us.

Our first child was born in the hospital on the airbase in Lahr, so the area holds special memories for us.

We've been to Ramstein and Kaiserslautern often, and have close friends in Manderbach, a village north of Frankfurt near Giessen, (Hessen) and Boblingen near Stuttgart who treated us royally, as always. Der Schwarzwald is beautiful as ever, and so are Rothenburg and Nuremburg. Germany is such a clean and sane country -- a contrast with Turkey and Bulgaria, where we went next. (Just a little cultural bias there!)

The Germans were always friendly to us, and so were the Americans, one of whom bought me a mop in the PX at Karlsruhe because we Canadians weren't allowed in that particular PX for some reason known only to the military!

They say old people like to reminisce, and I guess I've proved that. My Millennium is down at the moment, so I have too much time on my hands!

Barbara (No umlauts on this program -- sorry, German speakers!)

My husband was stationed in Nurenburg (Army) in the mid 60s for 2 years. He was a pilot.

I visited Germany in 2008 for 2 weeks. We flew into Munich, and traveled around a bit and went to Austria. My Mother's Mother's family was from Germany and was always just referred to as the Black Forest Region. Her last name was Stopper.

I have very close ties to Germany. I was born at 97th General in Frankfurt while my Dad was in the Army. He was also stationed in Aschaffenburg in the '60s while I was in Middle School. I joined the Army and was stationed in Karlsruhe as a German linguist. I did lots of field exercises during this tour so got to see many parts of the country. I married DH when we were both in Monterey for Russian. (We were in the same class.) He is from Amberg in the Oberpfalz. (All of my in-laws live there.) We were then stationed in Frankfurt-Hoechst, but lived off post in Neu Isenburg near Rhein-Main AFB. My 2nd enlistment was up, so I became a stay-at-home Mom. After some schools and an assignment in the US, DH was stationed in Darmstadt. I loved every minute spent over there and wish I could go back for visits.

It's very interesting to read about all your connections to Germany :)

Today we have for the first Sunday in Advent very beautiful weather, cold but a blue sky and icing sugar all over the houses and trees and everywhere ... and in some areas in the south of Germany there's also snow (so I think the floods are already forgotten :) )

Best season greetings from Germany :)

Archived