Butterfly Kaffe Fassett quilt

Below is a couple of pictures of a quilt. The Border fabric is definately going to be a challenge as she didn't match the triangles up when she pieced the borders. Also, it looks like I need to use several different colors of threads in the quilt. Anyone got any ideas for the border and the background of the Butterflies. I'm going to do "hooked on Feathers" in the butterflies.

post--13461904658194_thumb.jpg

That Kaffe and his challenging colorways!

This is all about texture and density of quilting.

Any medium-to-small filler behind the butterflies is in order--you choose a quilter-friendly one. Stipple, a medium McTavish, peacock meander--whatever you like and stitch easily.

You are spot-on with the hooked feathers for the butterflies--some fabrics are light enough that they will show nicely!

For thread--use a neutral on all the blocks! Neutral for Kaffe fabrics is two shades darker than what you would use on something with less-bright colors. You can puddle various colors on to see what works best. I would recommend BL or So Fine. Try a darker taupe-y color, the deeper tans, a dull burgundy that doesn't shout, or a darker grey to see what is least offensive. Hmmm..."least offensive"--not what you want to hear when you are talking about thread colors! Or you can opt for invisible thread. Does your customer want to pay for lots of thread changes?

If you are quilting the purple border, match the thread.

Now, that outer border........I am shaking my head and hoping some idea will fall out!:P

You can go a couple of ways--pretend all those out-of-alignment triangles printed on the fabric don't exist. It's all just flat fabric. What would you quilt if it was solid? A butterfly meander? Flowers and leaves to go with the nature theme? Geometrics like piano keys, bead-board, or crosshatching? I think (look-something fell out of my head!) I would stitch a medium McTavishing-type overall to try to tame the angles printed in the fabric. Use a subtle-colored thin thread (maybe a peachy-yellow or a grey BL) and go for texture, not pattern.

Well, my brain is empty!;) Please let us know what you come up with!

Thanks, Linda and Sylvia.

I've been putting this off all week trying to come up with an answer to the border. While I absolutely LOVE the rest of the quilt (love the Brights and beautifuls that Kaffe comes up with too!), I don't think I would have chosen that for the border on this one.

The treads that I use are DMC 50 wt 100% Cotton treads. Mostly used in applique they are really strong and quilt the tops beautifully. They are low lint and come in a lot of colors. Just like the floss. If you are looking for a specific color you can go to the floss part of the store and pick your color. the spools are 547 yards and the cones are 5000m. I hardly ever use poly threads. But when I do I use SO Fine. Or Some of the cotton verigated , ie King Tut, or YLI, and Sulky.

I don't mind switching colors and this customer just says do whatever you think will look best, you're the professional. But I may try the taupe or dull burgundy to see how it looks.

Archived