Tweaking machine to run smoother.

I have searched but cant find a procedure that I can follow to optimise the smoothness of my table and carriage for my Lenni, it has been alot less smooth than normal tonight and I cannot explain why.

I have never adjusted anything on the carriage (wheel nuts etc) and took it as factory settings. I am now wondering if there is anything that I can check to get a smoother running (in addition to levelling the table.)

thanks in advance, if you could point me in the right direction please?

:)

Have you checked the tracks and wheels to make sure there is NO thread caught,, and then gently lift each side, to spin the wheels, any of them catching? Can you set your machine anywhere on the table that it then rolls away, side to side or back and forward? That would mean the table needs leveling. Um, Is it the carriage or machine, dragging on anything?? are you leaning your tummy or arms on the rollers and then easing up, then leaning again..? That can do a wing ding in your quilting and the handling of the machine..

Um, I think I'm outta ideas... good luck.. you'll have others answer I'm sure, with diff ideas.

Thanks Rita, I will check those things too aswell as relevelling the table. I thought it was perhaps the stitch regulator cable catching, but having moved it around the handles a bit it doesnt make any difference. I cant see any thread around the wheels, but will inspect it closer tonight.

Thanks

Just lifted up the machine and the left back handle came off, it must have been working loose while using it which could explain some vibration I had started to feel from the back of the machine. Perhaps this could affect the feel of the machine? Have tightened it all up now.

Hi Suzanne

I am on fairly shallow carpet, and I havent experienced a problem before. A problem is though that the table is never in the same spot as I have it in a small room on castors which I push too and from a wall when not in use. I dont relevel it every time, but I suspect over time the castors would move and affect the level of the table. I will try and relevel, and hope that helps.

Does anyone know how tight or loose the wheels should be ?

Originally posted by Janette

Hi Carol

How did you adjust your wheels - tighter or looser?

Glad you have yours all sorted now. Need to get the spirit level out !!

I loosened the wheels. Loosening the wheels made all of the difference in the world. My Lenni was really gliding after the adjustment. I was able to do this without taking the machine off the rails. You'll need two wrenches or pliers and a wrench.

Well, I have now discovered that I could do with a washer on the rear wheels to make the rail fit centrally which is what I believe you have done to yours Jeanne. My hubby is going to try and get me some washers from work.

Linzi and APQS have helped me alot today, thank you so much, and after much relevelling it has made quite a difference, and it is alot smoother now and not square at all !!

Once I get those washers in too, it should be even better.

Thanks for the help everyone.:)

Hi Carol,

Yes that is what they recommended as the rail does not quite fit in the middle of my wheels. It seems there is already a washer on the right front wheel to place it in the centre, but my rear wheels (these are the wheels on the machine not the carriage) I can see that the rear wheels dont quite sit central to the carriage rail.

If your rail is central in your wheel groove then you shouldnt have to add any washers to reposition the wheel on the rail.

Hope this all makes sense.

I have my machine since December and have only really just started noticing more about these things !! Mind you I haven't been quilting so much in the last 3 months due to whiplash injuries from a car accident in June.

If you stoop down and look at your wheels head on, if they seem to be more one side than the other you may need a washer.

thanks Carol, I am getting there but very slowly unfortunately, lots of chiropractic help and physiotherapy, lots of pain, and some dizziness, but hopefully it wont be too much longer before I feel like I did before the accident.

Good luck with the wheels etc. It is 12.35 in the UK, so I had best get to bed !!!!

Janette, I loosened the wheels a little and tried to adjust them so they all had the same amount of spin to them. I also find one side of my machine is a little freer than the other, but I think I have it better balanced now. It seems to be making the curves a little smoother not so many squared corners, I loosened both the carriage and the machine wheels. I will have to do a little better test to see for sure, but I am thinking it is a little smoother already. I may tweak a little more when I get more time on it. Hopefully my feathers will be a little better for the rest of Bootcamp. LOL will practice more drawing first to get my brain trained to do those fabulous freemotion feathers. thanks for the tips, don't know why I never thought of that myself before now.

Jeanne

Glad you got your Lenni smoother now. I have added a washer on one of the wheels and now it is riding dead in the centre and is alot smoother since relevelling the table too.

I dont think I will try loosening the wheels until i see how it goes from here. One of my wheels bolt is done up so tightly even my husband couldnt budge it !!!

Hope you are enjoying feather bootcamp. I did it earlier in the year, but to be honest I was too much of a beginner to really get to grips with it. I am still useless at feathers.

I am going to try out some more feathers this weekend and see how My Little Miss Lenni handles on them with the adjustments so far. I am still hoping someone will come out with some better wheels for the Lenni, Even with adjustments the wheel will only spin about 1 and a half revolutions before on one side I was lucky if it would make a complete turn. That is how I tested it. Marked a spot and gave a spin to see how freely it would spin. One side was much tighter than the other, no wonder I have such sqaure feathers. LOL:P

Glad that has helped Jeanne, I will check the wheels also. let me know how your feathers work out. I am thinking of feathering an 8" border on the quilt I have planned for the weekend. Not sure yet though. Think I may try and draw it on first to see how it looks. I hope they bring out the equivalent M&M wheels for us too some time very soon.

Hope it all goes well.

Archived