Extended Base

I want to increase the size of my base plate for a Lenni. With all these creative minds on this forum I know I'll get help. I read of bases for other models but not Lenni. I'm no engineer, so I need exact measurements and plans. One place I think I would have trouble would be around the needle plate, getting a good fit. I recall one that was made by a father made of wood (maybe in Hawaii?) and another in KC area made by ex husband. KC is Kansas City. And I think Rita's husband, Himself, may have made her one, not sure. But any help here would be appreciated.

My husband made me an extended base out of 1/4" perspex/plexiglass. We traced around the needle plate, thread cutter onto paper, cut it out and checked it was the right size before tracing onto plexiglass. He then cut the plexiglass with a special router bit( may have been cheaper to get a made one from US), Glued supports to the underside. It slides on/off easily, no screws to mess with.

I had to raise my leveller bar a bit, but I love the extra flat surface I have all around my needle. 5" in front 6-8" beside and behind. I leave it on most of the time.

Lyn

Lyn,

That's what I want to do but, I'm not sure I can get the very narrow groove around the plate that Lenni would require to give a flush/level/even fit around the plate. And, I'm not sure how to attached it without a wooble/snug fit. I will experiment with a template and have it cut where I buy the plexiglass and hopefully it will not be so expensive that I can't do it until I get it right.:D

Yes Barbara, that is the one I saw. Thank you for responding. You have a Millie; is there a problem with the base being raised above the needle plate like that, or is that just the picture? I have a Lenni and the raised area is a minute fraction, maybe 1/32 and this is what concerns me. What are the measurements of yours?

Thank you so much.

Janice,

I have a Freedom SR which is pretty much the same as a Millie, except with no threadcutter and channel locks.

The birch ply is 1/4"and it is a smidgeon higher than my needle plate. It is not an issue for me doing ruler work.

It does have some weight to it, but the weight just makes me slow down a bit and seems to add more control to my movements.

Janaice, the one Himself makes actually fits behind the Hartley base. It is wider and goes all the way to the welded seam Just where it begins to curve up. It has the side pieces under the table part to hold it in place.

I will see if I can find it on my webshots and post a pict or the url.

2464269730100754630IXbtRn_th.jpg

You can see at the bottom of the pict where the Hartley base extender fits and is smaller in width.

This does not fit over or around the needle plate at all.

I doubt it is what you are looking for. The Hartley Fence came with my Lenni.

RitaR

i have the ruler mate for lola-baby (my freedom) and unless i am doing a thorough cleaning - i never remove it. it doesnt get in the way and it's been sufficient for the ruler work i do. i do, however, always work with small rulers cause i find them easier to handle.

Archived