new glasses--bifocals!! and LAing

I have progressives and they are super expensive in Calgary around $1200 with the eye exam. ....Then I put a pair of cheap magnifying flip up lenses that I got from Michael's Craft store on top so I can see for machine piecing and cutting with the rotary cutter.

Sometimes I watch TV as it is so boring to hand sew bindings so I perch a cheap pair of reading glasses on my nose with my regular glasses so I can look down to sew and then up over the readers to watch the TV. My family thinks I am nuts as I sit there with double glasses on my face but it works for me. It's good for a giggle as the girls watch their old mom.

It's no fun getting older but considering the alternative... I'll take it.

Good luck.

Charmaine

I've been wearing the lineless bi's for nearly 20 years. My first pair, I made the mistake of going grocery shopping after picking them up at the optometrist. I got so motion sick, we nearly starved the next week because I couldn't stand to look at the food :)

They are expensive but worth every dime, not having to monkey around with several pairs of glasses. I've found you can shop around and find much better prices at some of the eyeglass shops versus buying them from the optometrist.

I have had bifocals for over 10 years. When I first got them I couldn't wear them going down stairs. I tried transition lenses and I think that the glasses themselves were too small to make the transition work. I almost drove off the road thinking that the driveway to get into a gas station was one place when it was down the road 100 yds. I took them back and told them I wanted the no line bifocals back.

You will get used to them but for now use your old glasses and work into them gradually.

Charlotte, that is frightful! Glad you did not crash.

Cee, I could use a little less food in my house! Too many good meals on vacation this year...:D

The optical center said it takes time to adjust...two weeks and that wearing the readers makes the transition harder. THey said put them on and your eyes will learn where to look. I don't think I'm goint to like moving my nose, as they said, when I want to look to the left or right. I'd rather just move my eyes.

I hated after selecting my frames, all the "add-on" charges for this and that. Everything was another $70 or $100. Really??

Thanks!

Lisa

I wore no line bifocals for years and really loved them. The only reason I don't wear them now is that I had cataract surgery and they corrected my eyes for distance. Now I just have cheap reading glasses. I did have someone who worked with me who tried the no lines and could not get used to them.

Pamela

I was in the same boat about a couple months ago. I used readers and then my distance was starting to go also so bifocals is was. I thought I would never get use to them. The first couple weeks I was so dizzy and sick to my stomach. I went to the eye doctor and through them on their table and said I want my money back this isn't right. They were very patient, even re-examined my eyes to make sure the script was right. Then they worked with me on where I need to have my up close vision be and adjusted the glasses and I love them now. Go back and talk to them, they should help.

Archived