new glasses--bifocals!! and LAing

Well I have joined the ranks of needing bifocals--picked them up yesterday and spent the afternoon in my studio--with quite a few tears--trying to figure out how to "see"!!

Wondering what everyone else does--I have the no-line lenses and I even have trouble walking.

Getting old is the pitts!!!--right now I just wear my old ones while working in the studio.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

Terri

Hi Terri, I can so totally sympathize with you. I have been wearing no line bifocals for years now and am always blind when I come out of my studio from eye strain. I bought a pair of the bottom prescription which is my reading prescription only glasses for LAing. HAHAHAHA that doesnt' work because then I can't see when I try to walk across the room. I am not sure there is an answer but would love to see someone jump in here who has figured this out

Terri,

I've got the "no-line" bifocals as well - have worn them for years. Once you get used to them, you won't have any trouble LAing - or stepping off curbs!:P

The only time I curse my bifocals is when I'm trying to time a machine - hard to get in there and see the small stuff when you can't tip your head back far enough!!

They will work out after a bit. Some time when you don't need to be quilting just wear them all day. Your eyes will be trained automatically to look in the right area. You may need to pay attention to how you stand or hold your head for the quilting to avoid stress/aches for that.

It also is interesting to go from trifocals back to bifocals. I don't notice the difference anymore.

Don't worry, you will get used to them and be able to walk again soon. However, they may never be the right adjustment for your longarm. If you find you are still having trouble after a couple of weeks, either continue to use the old ones if they work, or else go back to your doctor, describe the distance at hwhich you usually work, and they can make a special set just for the machine (like many of us have computer glasses). Good luck & don't give up!

Terri welcome to the ranks! I've had mine for about 5 years now. I have to say I've never had any trouble getting used to them. THe only problem I ever had was when sitting on the couch and putting my head back and looking out of the wrong part of the lense. I also made sure on the next pair that I told them to make the transition a little lower. Don't be afraid to take them back and tell them they are causing your problems and the transition is too high.

Oh, I too have great sympathy for you! When I first put my glasses on I thought I would never be able to see again, never mind walk! LOL! The techs told me not to take them off for a week. I was thinking "Are you kidding me?" But I did do just as they said and now I love them. It really is a matter of sticking with them. If you keep switching out to another pair of glasses it will be much more difficult to get used to the new pair.

Just remember -- they will be wonderful, but you have to be persistent and keep them on your face! LOL! Good luck! Let us know how you do with them. :cool:

I had mine for one day and had them switched to the line glasses. I wear trifocals now and don't have any trouble, unless you count the floaters swimming around. I've heard from others that you just have to get used to them. But I felt I was going to get sick, so I switched. I have 90 days to change so check and see what your options are so you know how much time you have to adjust.

I use cheap little readers when I quilt. I have several pair, different strengths for different jobs. It took the frustration out for me. I use my blended glasses and contacts outside of the quilt room. There aren't as many challenges in the rest of my world. You can go crazy with the wild colors and designs in the cheap readers, I have some with lady bugs, bright graphics etc. it adds to my "artistic" mood!

I have Trifocals ! Most of the time I get along fine until I have to look under the table or in a little space at an odd angle. I can't see ANYTHING without my glasses, so I just do the best I can. I have more trouble here at the computer with tipping my head back to much and then I get a sore neck. Getting old is the pits. :(

When you go see the eye guys, you can also have them tweak the fit of the glasses. I have had them angle (tip) my lenses down so the bottom is closer to my cheek and that has allowed me to work closer on hand work, or tipping needles in our business at a grinding wheel. It made a great difference when sewing also. Keep going back until they get them right for you. I also have them shorten up the bow around the ear. They can take the plastic off the metal bows and clip them shorter, then shape for the ears and put the plastic back on. I get them now so they don't ever slide down my nose in the heat and humidity.

Well thank you for all the encouragement--I did manage to load up a twin and quilt it in an allover this afternoon--and it actually went surprisingly well!!! I still couldn't pick the thread color with my new ones--I puddle the thread across the whole 18" opening and I could seem to focus on the right place--but hopefully that will come too!!!

Thanks again--and just ask my DH--I can be pretty stubborn at times!!--I will make these work for me.

terri

I have regular bifocals... in addition on my computer glasses, I had the computer formula put on the top, and the reading lens in the bottom.. The top is roughly at the tip of my fingers when my arm is straight out in front of me. The reading bottoms are much closer for reading. When one eye is 20/20 and the other much diff, the dime store glasses won't work.

I would go back as soon as you can, and tell them to either lower the transition line, or put the line in them. You can't look thru the bottom and step off a curb, you can't wear the long distance top for reading. I'd lower the glasses on the bridge of my nose, and see if you can quilt looking thru the top part..

Good Luck,

I've had no-line bifocals for some years now. I still cannot go DOWN the stairs with them on, but can do most other things. I, too, had the eye doctor make me a special pair of glasses just to quilt with. They have been well worth the extra bucks.

Give it a little more time, Terri. I remember going through the break-in period when I first got mine and then when they changed the prescription a year later.

This is so timley!

I just got a Rx for glasses. I've only had readers and now need real glasses. The doctor said the Verilux/progressives are best for my eyes. I went to the eyeglass store today and theya sked about all these extras that I just did not know if I needed. There are three or four levels of lens types, many coatings and I left bewildered! Yikes. All I want is to see close up again.

The optical center also said if I did not like the progressives, I could get an extra pair just for 6" to 6 feet. Might be perfect for quilting. Only problem was the progressives were $700 for the non-glare, progressive, polycarbonate lenses, with the frame. I had no idea these things were so pricey! I could almost get the Bliss for that!! Or a ton of chocolate...or...fabric...

Reading all the above, I wonder if progressives are even comfortable. Maybe I should just get the one pair for LAing.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NJ

That's exactly what I do. I have 3 different strengths.

Originally posted by SKQuilts

I use cheap little readers when I quilt. I have several pair, different strengths for different jobs. It took the frustration out for me. I use my blended glasses and contacts outside of the quilt room. There aren't as many challenges in the rest of my world. You can go crazy with the wild colors and designs in the cheap readers, I have some with lady bugs, bright graphics etc. it adds to my "artistic" mood!

I've been wearing Varifocal/progressives for about 10 years. I love them but it did take 4 or 5 days to get used to them. It now takes only a day or 2 to adjust to a new prescription. It seems the eye muscles seem to know what to do now to adjust to the new strength. I still take care walking down stairs.

The only problem I really have is checking the bobbin area under the machine or other close, tricky angled work. Seeing the area to work in was the hardest thing when I had to change my optical sensor. As for the bobbin area I made myself a very low wheeled stool by putting a foam pad on top of a plant stand that came with castors. It lives under the machine & I sit on it to service the bobbin area. Yes, I still get a crick in the neck but I CAN see what I'm doing.

Hang on in there Terri. You'll soon get used to them & welcome to the club!

I have worn bifocals since I had lasik several years ago. I learned quickly to have my bifocals made for the activity at hand - reading = anything cheap that allows me to read, driving = good sunglass bifocals, and LA'ing etc. = worked with the optometrist for the correct level of eyes to glasses - where would my eyes be looking and the glasses made accordingly. As I have become accustomed to bifocals - it it not as critical for each activity, but it does help. Since my eyes have not changed since my lasik surgery, I have not had to repurchase new glasses........ so worth the initial investment. My doctor was very helpful in writing the prescription and discussing all the options available that might help.

Archived