Wedding Ring Pic

Ok I finally recieved the WR quilt but it isn't what I expected really.

The circles are one piece with no seams. (light grey on Light black color) I am using white thread. What about his black grey? Should I use a grey or charcoal? Do I even need to quilt it? Backing is a White Background Loralie with the flowers.

Notice the Points between the curves. I haven't done a binding like this. Curves and sharp points all in one.

Also any quilting suggestions with this fabric. I may do a simple WR Heart motif or just freehand it. I need it to be something I can get DONE. Shower is Sunday. Customer got it too me late. I think the binding will take me the longest. It is 94 inches.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Yes, Tammie, you are right, the binding will take a lot longer to apply than usual. Don't worry though, just make sure you use bias strips for the binding and take it nice and slow.

have fun ( ok, that is a little sarcasm, but I don't mean to scare you!, it really will be fine if you take your time:D)

Sandra

I would use a white and dark grey thread.....With time being an issue and the binding such a Bad Boy for sure.....yikes...I would do a simple simple moffit in the large white areas...a single large something...a smaller flowery thing in the pink areas and a loopy something in the black areas if anything at all....it will be fast and simple nothing fancy here...

Then the binding...the only real miters will be the pink points the rest you should be able to just tuck in as you sew it on. Happy binding.....yuke.

Hi Grammie---

Just checking with you and the other smart quilters here-- I have never seen a DWR top with those extra diamonds at the edge. Usually those are left off the outside edge (at least on the pattern I have they are.) That way there is a nice scallop to the edge of the quilt and the application of the binding will be SO much easier. Maybe have the piecer check their pattern--binding those sharp points will be no fun and I would think they would be very stiff. Just a thought. Hope you aren't too stressed with the short time frame!

Very cute fabric in the top. Everybody wants to see a pic when you are done!

Linda R

Hay Grammie:

Why not just trim the quilt from the top one curve to the next, & omit the scallops all together, that way the binding will go super fast, you could still round off the corners, but the rest of the quilt would have straight sides.

Since I'm the (soon to be) Panto queen I would panto, a nice heart patern & since you are under a time constrant it may be the best way to get it done. I would use a med pink thread, not bright though, maybe similar to the same pink that is in the background fabric.

I think that a heart panto would be nice, (see below) I have this one, it's from "Munich Designs" (just Google it) Then click on the one that says "quilt recipts", ckick on pantographs for sale, then in "catagory" pick "Hearts", click on the 6th one down, gets to the heart panto I like. There are two but I like the one with the flame best. :)

I just took another look at the edge of your quilt, & I see now that the edges of the points & curves are not finnished, so binding the quilt straight accross isn't an option. I must have been tired when I looked at the first time, sorry Grammie. :(

Grammie,

I just did my first scalloped edge binding. As someone said before, be sure to use bias binding. Too late for me I also learned (from Fons and Porter TV show) that you should cut the binding narrower than you usually do. I'm assuming that this would help reduce the bunching of fabric that I have on my 'dips' in the scallops. F&P suggest cutting the binding at 1 and 7/8 inch.

I can't vouch for this personally, but I think it is a good idea.

Grammie....well...how'd it go with what your choice was to quilt the wedding ring? What did you finally decide to pattern it out with? What size binding did you use? My ques. are because I may try to make and quilt one very soon and your experience will only help me! BTW I looked at my grandmother's hand quilted one and she has one point coming between the scallops too! Her pattern choice is : 5 small overlapping circles in the ovals,the 4-patch has 2 football-shapes crossing each other in the middle of each square of the 4-patch, each segment of the" ring" has echo-quilting, and the center shape is 4 footballs with ends meeting at one point...stitched again1/2" away and has the point coming between the outer points of the footballs...sorta like a mini wedding ring made of thread. Sorry my description is so elementary but I'm not that knowledgeable on motiffs! Hope this helps others, as I'm sure what choices you made will help me!!!PS..Handquilting is one thing, but wouldn't it take forever to use a quilt machine and echo each segment of the ring? Elaine

Archived