Anodizing the rails

Is there any reason why the aluminum rails can't be anodized to eliminate the residue and need for waxing? Will the channel locks etc still work right? A

lso, do the new EdgeRider wheels improve the range and ease of movement? Are they available for the Millennium? I don't see how they would work with the stitch regulator system on the Millennium. It seems that the combination of the anodizing and different wheels might eliminate the need for the weekly waxing/cleaning and daily polish of the rails. Also reduce the risk of accidently getting residue on clothing and quilts. Please offer advice on this topic.

Guest Linda S

There is a whole section on waxing/cleaning the rails at the top of this help section. You might check for answers there. The edgerider wheels you speak of are other companies's attempts at mimicing the APQS wheels - at least that's my opinion.

Linda

Even if the rails were anodized, they would still need to be wiped clean. The waxing takes probably about 1 or 2 minutes more and for me, the way the machine feels after the rails are waxed is so worth the extra few minutes.

It probably depends on where the machine is located and the amount of dust in your studio (we won't even discuss this!) and the type of thread you're using as to the amount of lint being produced but I'm surprised at the amount of dust that accumulates on my rails every day.

My first machine (NOT an APQS) had some kind of grooved rails and the wheels rode inside them. To clean them, I had to vacuum with a little pointed tip, then I ran a Q-tip dipped in alcohol down the groove. It was a real pain . . maybe that's why the APQS rail system seems so fantastic to me.

Hi Zany,

Nice to speak to you on the phone. For everyone else..we spoke about anodizing the table rails to seal them. Yes that can be done. We have checked into it but found there is no one close to us that does this process. Zany has someone close that she can take it to and have it done. It is such a thin layer that it shouldn't prohibit any movement with the carriage wheels. We still feel that if you just wipe them off between each quilt you will keep them clean and won't have the problem with the "black" coming off the rails. Hope this answers all of the questions out there.

Happy Quilting,

Mark APQS

Sorry..forgot to address the edgerider wheels....The carriage wheels that we use are of aviation grade and specs. Because we are running our wheels on a horizontal, they have to be very sturdy. The edgerider wheels I believe are made out of plastic. Our concern is that it might warp from sitting on one spot too long and then cause a "bump" or not a smooth feeling as you move your machine. Again if you all have any questions please feel free to give us a call here at the factory.

Take care,

Mark APQS

I use a bit of spray on furniture polish on my rails daily and don't get the black quilter's marks on my jeans anymore. It's also easy to re-apply with a quilt on the machine to keep them nice and slick. A Q-tip with some alcohol to clean the wheels daily before I wipe down the rails. Every now and then I do a wax job with McGuires. jeri

I have had alot of issues with the wheels on my apqs(No matter how many new sets I have put on ,OR have had put on), and have had my machine for aprox 4 yrs. There is a certain free-flowing motion that I wanted on my machine to be able to do the work 'I' wanted to do with my machine. I now have the edge-rider type wheels on my machine and I LOVE them.

I agree with Mark, They 'Might' warp over time But I will GLADLY pay 160 buck's a yr to get the smothness that I want with my incredible apqs, and have only recently gotten with my new wheels. And my back-aches have gone by the way-side.

P.S. I am of the oppinion that the ER wheels are NOT for everyone and the original wheels are best for some. But I gotta tell ya I finally LOVE my machine. And 4 yrs of dealing with troubleshooting have finally come to an end.

Jamie

Jamie: That's interesting. Will you try to remember to keep us posted on how this goes. I haven't really had issues with my wheels but it's nice to know that if I do, there's an option.

And . . don't be a stranger! You do such wonderful work. Come in and talk to us more, ok? And . . share some pictures every now and then!

• 3 months later...

I was having so much trouble with getting black on quilts years ago with the alum rails that I had my son in law have them powder coated where he worked. Was one of the best things I ever did.

The other was when I purchased edge rider wheels. I have said for 9 years that I could do these lines if the the %&* thing would just go where I pointed it. I have had 4 sets of new wheels which would work for about 2 mo. then appear with a flat spot again. This is on the Ult II. Otherwise I love the machine.

I have flat spots, or atleast one on my wheels too. It just appeared about a week and a half ago. I kept thinking it was something that I did, but had no idea of what it was. How hard was it to change your wheels? Do you remember how much they were? This is just my luck in life for this to happen in the middle of my Christmas rush!! Hope to hear from you soon! Oh, I have a Mille born in late July!

Kelly

Hi Jamie,

I had a flat spot appear on one of my wheels about 8 months ago (out of the blue, it seemed). I'm in Canada - a new wheel cost me $14 and took about 5 minutes at the outside to swap on to the machine. It solved my maneuvering problems instantly. Go ahead and do it, you'll be glad you did. (Oh, by the way, these are regular APQS wheels, not ERs)

Lisa Thiessen

info@threadsinmotion.ca

www.threadsinmotion.ca

There is one good thing about having horizontal wheels. If a flatspot shows up, just turn the wheel upside down and run on the other flange.

Our Millie is over 2 years old and is in use almost Daily without any flatspots. When the machine is a little hard to move, I just spray a little Silicon spray on a paper towel and wipe the rear rail and she moves like grease lightning.

Jurgen

Jamie & Bert --

I haven't had trouble with my wheels but I have read other things from people about how much they love their edgerider wheels.

Since you both have them, did you get them for a Millenium or some other machine? Can they be put on a Millenium with the stitch regulator?

Just curious.

Mary Smart

Vermillion SD

• 9 months later...

I LOVE my Edgerider wheels:P:D!! My DH and I put them on in an afternoon and I could not believe the difference. I had the old type brown wheels and sometimes 1/2 way through a quilt I had to wax because the ease of movement was decreased, not to mention all the black gunk:(. My stitches were not always regular because of the wax. I cleaned the rails and wheels after every quilt too. With the new wheels the ease in movement never changes and my stitches are consistent. I just cleaned my rails yesterday (with alcohol) - after about 7 quilts and just a smear grey on my cloth. Backtracking is sooooo much easier too.

It is my understanding the the very first Edgerider wheels had trouble with "flat spots" but that problem was addressed early on and corrected.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know, as of this time it is not cost effective to annodize the rails..

You always could see if you have someone locally that could do it for you.

We would have to ship them out and then get them shipped back, as noone around here does it..

One more thing, you would still have to wipe down the rails from time to time and keep them clean..

Also, if you are haveing to wax all the time for better movement, then there is another problem going on..

That is why we came out with the new soft-mount and wheel system..

Call if you have any questions!

Archived