Thread tension RRRRRRR....

Help me.

I have a customers quilt that I am doing and she gave me YLI thread she wants it completed with. Well I threaded it and checked the tension. Fine. Well start to sew on the quilt. thread break, thread break rrr... then I mored the sm round spoot to the cone holder in the back to see if that would work. All looked good rrrr. Now the thread is loopy on the back and loose on the front but the stitches looke perfect. Help

Pat:(

It's Okay Pat! :)

I can tell you that most YLI thread is not real great when it comes to high speed quilting, I have had my share of breakage with this thread.

Short of soaking it in Silcone or the freezer over night, backing off the top tension, I would use another brand of thread that works well in LA quilting, & let the customer know why. ;)

Sometimes there are so many variables with threads being old etc.

Try something else & see if that helps you!:D

Hi Pat!

Another thing to try---and I'm not saying this will work for your particular quilt "sandwich", but I know that it worked for me. I'm not a fan of YLI thread either, but when I started out, I bought some to try it out. I fell in love with a couple of the colors and they were perfect for one of my own quilts--and I was on a strict budget---so buying other thread wasn't happening for a little bit. I had lots of tension problems just like the problems you're describing--but I really was determined to use that thread! I worked it out by using a different bobbin thread that was in the same color family, but was a different brand--Signature cotton. By tweaking here and there-and slowing down, I was able to overcome the problems.

I also don't run any tension in the bobbin at all when using cottons as a rule.

Good luck!

Jill Kerekes

It is generally my policy not to accept customer thread. You don't know how old it is or where they've had it stored. Use a like thread that you know works well with your machine. Our APQS machines can run about any thread if it is good condition.

Like Jill said, you can also try slowing down.

It can be so frustrating and time consuming! URGH!

Good luck, let us know what happens.

I had the same problem Pat:

All I had to do was run 5 or 6 strips of sewer's aid down the sides of the cone, I also put a drop on the tension disks, worked like a charm, no more breaks. I got this tip from the forum. :) saved my bacon.

best of luck, I know how frustrating it can be, :(

Thanks,

I really appreciated the suggestions, help and support. You girls are the best. Here is what I did. I tried the sewers aid but still had problems with breaks. I slowed down which made it better but still a bit loopy. I switched back to bottom line in the bobbin and along with the above I was able to get great stitches with a bit of tweaking the top and bobbin tensions.

My daughter was laughing at me because I was praying on my knees crawling under the machine to check the stitches. Then I sang when it was good. Put the ipod on and went to my quilting happy place. heehee

This was an important sample for a quilt shop which made it more stressful. The customer actually liked the cream bottom line better than the varigate YLI on the back.

Thanks again

:P:D

Okay you wonderful new friends. I have had my poor little girl covered up and protected for over a month since Chris set her up for us. Finally was able to get electricity to my studio, loaded some practice material last night and was ready to go waltzing like the rest of you who just seem to jump on the machine and away you go. NOT! It was like trying to wade through a swamp with seaweed strangling my little machine. My DH tried also, my girlfriend also took a turn, no loops and swirls for us, beautiful squares and straight lines. So I decided to take a look at the bottom (knowing I was not going to like what I found) Well. we didn't have railroad tracks we had bridges:o Tried fixing the tension and finally gave up, decided to just come here and read and read my manual again, cause I have to be missing something. Anyway, I am off today for a short stay in Corvallis with Linda and Karen McTavish so it is going to have to wait until Friday night. Just hope some of you can tell me I am not the only one that didn't get to dance the first time on the floor.

Still so excited and still know that thisis going to be the best adventure of my life so am not discouraged, just frazzled.

Thanks for listening.

Dance? I stomped and made a giant mess, and when you are new, all the circles and loops are square. We have to learn how to use muscles that we don't usually, and it takes time. I guess I can't figure out how people rent machines. It took me dozens of quilts before I was happy. Can you say "Free Quilting on Charity Quilts?"

Huh...... I have used lots of YLI thread and love it. Breakage issues are rare (so far....fingers crossed) and usually cleared up with proper tension adjustments. Here's hoping my luck doesn't turn. I asked Superior Bob how long our thread could be expected to last...or be useful....and he said that it should last for years properly stored. That's the key, I guess.

Thank God Bekah:

I thought your Milli. was doomed to stay under the covers for ever!!!!;)

I can't help with your problem's as I'm so new myself, but I can tell you I'm green with envy that you get to be with the "KAREN McTAVISH & our own "LINDA". I have only this forum to chat with/to, it's like being in a vacume, & the great LAer's are on the other side. :(

Have fun, I hope you get your tension prob's sorted out ASAP.

Caron,

Thanks for the encouragement. It helps to know I wasn't the only one dancing right away.

I have a friend who does charity quilting and is just waiting for me to get half way compitent and then she will fill up my studio for lots of practice.

I guess pride does go before a fall. I have been quilting with an Inspira frame and Pfaff for quit awhile and assumed I was ready to dance.

Pat-

I was doing a quilt yesterday with YLI thread and had the same problems! This was my first quilt for the LQS, and the owner provided the thread. It was a simple pantograph, so I figured I would finish in a couple of hours. WRONG! I frogged at least 3 rows, had a lot of thread breakage and frustration. I had to back WAY off on the bobbin tension (almost none, like Jill said), and used lots of sewer's aid on the thread. Finally finished this morning -- thank goodness!

I'm taking the class with Linda and Karen McTavish this weekend, too -- It will be nice to meet you, Bekah. See you tonight, Linda!

Jill Miller

Cascade Longarm Quilting

Corvallis, Or

Bekah,

When my circles start getting square I usually find a piece

of thread wound around one of the wheels. Take a look.

Cheryl - what a great tip about the thread.

I have had people try to give me thread becuase the wanted

just the right color, a YLI as a matter of fact. But they gave

me a spool vice a cone. I did not yet have my Hartley spool

holders installed so I said "No, thank you" and bought a

cone of the same color YLI at the local longarm shop.

It never occurred to me that they might be giving me old

thread. I had one lady try to give me the "perfect color" for

her quilt. I noticed it was Maxi-Lock serger thread. No way.

She was OK with one of my threads once I explained that

the machine is fast and regular (and especially serger)

thread just can't hold up at that speed.

I love the YLI colors but you really have to s-l-o-w down and

play with the tension. Lots of breaks until you get it right.

Cool, Jill can't wait to meet someone from her.

Gerry, You get to go to Innovations and so far I think i will be home and I wish I were going to be there too. I will savor every moment with Linda and Karen though and be glad to share whatever I learn.

I think my Millie is just mad at me cause she had to stay all covered up for so long:D

Bekah - glad that you finially got the Big Girl out from under wraps. I too had tension problems when I first started. But mine was from loading the quilt wrong. I had the top and bottom going over the leveler bar rather than under it. Sure made a difference for me when I finially discovered (after watching the video 3 times) what I had done. Unfortunately, I'm a person who learns best at seeing rather than reading and even though it is very clear instrustions in the manuel, i had to watch the video. Anyway, just a thought.

Bekah have fun in the Karen class. Linda will be a great hostess too. Tell them I said hi. Your going to have a great time.

Cher plastic bins should be fine. I use them for now but I don't plan on keeping the thread around long enough to worry about it deteriating or getting harmed. I'm going to USE IT UP as fast as I possible can. lololol

And speaking about tension problems does anyone have any thoughts/solutions for mine. I am having beautiful stitches on top, looking at the bottom my bottom thread will be great for a few inches and then just be resting on the surface of the quilt for an inch or two, then back to good tension top and bottom. This will go on for the entire quilt no matter how much tweaking I do. If the tension was just plain bad all the time, it would be easier to deal with then coming and going. I generally use Aurifil which my Millie loves or King Tut and either match in the bottom or use Bottom Line. Doesn't seem to matter which thread - happens regardless.

Thanks, Bev

Cher, I'm with you wondering what is the proper way to store thread. We too use plastic drawers, so they may not even be as air tight as your tubs are - though no sun reaches them, they are pretty much clear drawers. So you very experienced ladies, please share - and is there a difference in how you would store cotton as opposed to bottom line and fancy threads?

Thanks for your input.

Yvonne in Wisconsin

Bev

I haven't used Aurifil so I don't know about running that brand on my millie. I haven't much problem with signature on the top and bottomline in the bobbin.

Are your stitches flat on the bottom and the basic tension right? If so, you could be moving the machine too quickly in places amd the stitches are flat lining. It happened to me when I had my gammill. I slowed down some and that seemed to help.

Get a towa bobbin tenison gauge. That will ensure your tension is right on the bobbin all the time.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I'm soooo glad to hear it took dozens of quilts to be happy with tension. I have almost CONSTANT tension problems. I am continually tweaking, good for a bit, then not. Talked to Mark, that helped for a bit, then as soon as I had to adjust for a different thread, all my issues came back. I really like prewould bobbins because I don't run out of thread so fast but you really have to adjust to that. (tighten bottom, loosen top) I also have inconsistent tension, like in curves at the exact same point the bottom thread will be a little straight, but the rest of the stitches come out fine. It is so very upsetting. I'm either a total perfectionist or there are just a BUNCH of variables involved in dealing with tension or I am just simply not experienced enough yet. (that's probably it right there...)

I really like YLI thread with Bob's prewounds.

qwltnldy....it is a tough life for a PERFECTIONIST. Use the extra fabric at the sides of the quilt to iron out most of the issues. The Towa tension gauge is helpful for those of us who like to be a little more exact than that drop test. Way too unscientific for me!!!! Then adjust your idea of perfection. I feel your pain. ;)

I have been experiencing tension problems as you all have described. I spend more time frogging than the quilt job is worth. I have spent the money on the gauge thing and that hasn't really helped me. Going along thinking everything is cool and then those flat liners on the bottom (at least it's easy to frog). Talked to Mike and he suggested to check my hopping foot. I have never adjusted it since I got my millie a year ago and it was hard to unscrew, so I don't understand how it got so bad that I couldn't even get a sheet of plain paper under it let alone a business card. Hopefully with this tweek it will be better. Also, he reminded me not to have my quilt too tight, may be why the practice piece is good, but the quilt is bad. I'll let you all know if these suggestions help.

Archived