Machine makes a great cat hammock.............

Well, my kitten (9 months and darrllliiing!) has decided that what ever I put on the machine, I have put it there for her lounging comfort. Of course when I am home I keep her away with a spray bottle, but more often than not, I come home and it is obvious that the quilt has turned into a cat hammock, all puddly and stretched out. Any ideas on how to make it less attractive? I can't use any sort of repellants, and I don't have a way to keep her out of the room...............

Help!!!

Guest Linda S

Cover the quilt with something crunchy, like tin foil or a sheet of plastic. They don't like that. Fortunately, my cats are terrified of the machine. They will come up and sleep on little batting beds I made them while I am quilting, but they stay away from the machine itself.

Linda

Hay Caron:

I have used the canned air as a repelant for cats, my little kitties don't like it one bit. Nickadeemus, (our little male ) still tries on occation, in fact I just chased him out of the quilting room not 10 min's ago. If & when I have to be away from the Milli. for any length of time, I keep a can of it on the unfinnished quilt so I can grab it easy if I see either one of them even thinking of getting comfee.

A spray bottle only works, if you can get them wet, (not good around quilts), & the canned air makes a louder sound, they are afraid of it.

Good luck Caron, kitty cats can be very smart & stubron, & once they pick a spot they like to sleep in, you can have a devil of a time getting them to change to a new spot.

I put a tarpaulin over the machine and after a couple of months the cat's figured out I really didn't want them on it. If I am working on some thing the cat's really mustn't touch I still cover it, though I now use a sheet of polystyrene that I use for blocking quilts.

Ferret

Plastic and foil would be a great solution but not for my cat, Billy. He loves foil and plastic...sleeping on or in plastic bags is one of his passions. He was a rescue cat (found as a kitten in the woods) and we think he used bags to sleep in or hide inside. He also is a bit of a wild child with batting. He will tear at the batting. I have made repairs to batting. He has actually put holes in a customers quilt that was on the machine. Fortunately, I had the fabric in my stash and made the repair.

My solution is to shut the door to my quilting room when I am not home or not in the room for any lenght of time. Spray bottles don't deter him, neither do the cat repellents or the canned air. He is 12 lbs of cute but a fiesty thing.

My other cat doesn't bother anything in the quilt room. She won't get up on the quilts on the frame. No worry with her. She has her own special cat bed in the room by the window sill (so does the other cat) and sleeps there (Billy is everywhere and anywhere...like the energizier bunny).

Good luck,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Here is a tip I used to use when we had a cat. My husband did NOT like the cat to be in our bedroom. I put up a baby gate across the door but of course he just jumped right over! Sooooo, I had a hotel door alarm from Radio Shack that senses vibration. It is made to lean up against a hotel door and will emit a high pierced tone when like that of a smoke detector. I propped this against the baby gate and sat back for the show. The first time Nicholas jumped the gate after that, the alarm went off, and then Nicholas went off!!! After that he would just sit and stare at the gate and the bedroom beyond but would NOT attempt to enter.

You could put the alarm on the "hammock" and probably cure your situation. You might come home to dead batteries in your alarm, but all it takes is once.

Back with a cat story. I just came down from my quilting room to get a drink of water in the kitchen. There was a fine mist of water in the walkway into the kitchen. Billly decided to pierce his teeth through the drinking water line (it was only showing about 1 inch out from the refrigerator). So that is now turned off until I can get to town.

I keep telling myself he is really a cute cat. Back to quilting....

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I learned the 'hammock' lesson the hard way, when my 15 pound cat spent the day on a quilt. Luckily it was one of mine. Now I shut the critters out of the room when I have to.

I was recently at our Humane League and saw that they have cool hammocks that are just the right size for cuddling a kitty.

Since you can't block off your room maybe you could give your kitty an alternative. She will probably prefer it.

Guest Linda S

They do make kitty hammocks. The one in my house is very popular. Actually, the frame is made of heavy plastic, but my brother the metal fabricator had to make me a steel one, as both kitties like it so much, they get in it together. The plastic wouldn't support their weight!

my%20kitties.jpg

I took a heavy duty shallow 5' cardboard box, and cut it apart. I lay the two pieces on the quilt any time I'm away from the machine. If one of my cats did jump on it, it is strong enough not to buckle, and also too heavy for them to move.

The first heirloom quilt I did for a customer ended up with a kitty-stretch; luckily I was able to get it back into shape, so I learned to never leave a quilt unprotected.

My solution is to not allow the cats in the basement. Course we have one who thinks that's her domain, sneaks in, and races down the stairs to hide somewhere, the others are pretty good about it. I did find that she had been locked down here one night and there was the telltale kitty hammock. Luckily I had left the top pretty loose and it was just being stippled so it came out fine. Also the owner has a cat so no problems if I missed a kitty hair or two.

I was looking for one of those old accordian wood style gates so it would be easy to lay and store then the kitties couldn't lie down but they stopped selling them as gates because they were not safe for children, hoping to find one at a flea market. right now I lay wood slates at an anlge from roller to roller --- it works well to

I went to the hardware store and found plastic mesh. It has good size holes and I wouldn't want to lay on it. I thought about the foil. but what do I do with it while I'm quilting. Anyway this plastic is just the ticket.

By the way, I do have one of those kitty perches upstairs near a window, But when I flip up unused batting on top of the quilt whne I go out, what cat could resist tucking under the extra batting and being cuddled by a quilt?

That really is adorable! I would have been cooing at her too.

I'm curious about your circle templates... I really should order some, but not sure which ones I want. Are those the nested ones from Robs Rulers? Or where did you get them?

I'm having a hard time separating with the money for the gadget girls sets.

Patty

Archived