breaking thread

I am having problems with thread breaking at the needle when I begin sewing on my millie. I have checked tension, different threads, different bobbins cases and new needles. The only thing I can sort of find is a little nitch on the needle plate. My question is what can I do to smooth that area? or do I have to order a whole new plate?

That burr can be buffed out with very fine grain sandpaper or an emery cloth. I have a set of fine diamond files from Harbor Freight that I use first and then finish with sand paper. To check for burrs, take a short length of hosiery fabric and thread it through and around the needle plate hole. It will show any snaggers.

Do all this with the plate removed so you don't get any metal dust in the bobbin area.

Originally posted by barbm

Linda, dish more about those files from Harbor Freight - "Grease Monkey" wants to know......

Hi Barb...er...GM!:P

Ten piece set of diamond files with plastic handles. There is one small enough to use inside a pigtail to file out a groove. All different shapes are in the pack. I'll check next time I am at HF and pick you up a set.

a friend called me this morning about this post asking me where Harbor Freight is. Was going to be near there today so stopped in and bought a set for me and one for her. $7.99 per set. They also had a set for $4.99 with 5 files but it didn't look as useful.

Archived