Measure twice, cut once!

It's what my dad always told me when I was a child. He was a carpenter. Measure twice, cut once! Well, when it came to attaching my zippers I didn't follow that wise man. I got my iron and pressed the edge 1 inch down. Put on my expanded base, started from the center point and just started sewing. I even double stitched to make sure it was on and the edge didn't stick out. After I was all done, I throw on a scrap piece of fabric and sandwiched it on as I would a quilt. I sewed the wrong end to 2 of the zippers. I mean, it worked but I had the side the zipper was on that separated OFF. It would be ok if I was only going to use that one set. I have 2 extra sets. They only have the zipper part not the head.

So now, the thought that I would have to take the 2 zippers off that I really secured on and turn them around! That was 152 inches times 2 (double stitched). I used my rotary razor to cut through the stitches as I pulled. All those things they teach you NOT to do. I just touch the thread only as I pull and the seams tear apart easily. (A no, no in the sewing industry, you could tear your garment) I managed to get if off and re-sewed it the right way. Then thought about my dad, measure twice, cut once! It would have saved me from having to re-do it if I made sure I was sewing the right side to the bars. A lesson learned. But the rotary blade worked really fast, does anyone else use a rotary blade when you gotta take a seam apart?

Archived