different thread top & bottom?

I'm trying to quilt a top with Superior "Perfect Quilter" 17 wt on the top spool and bottom line (60 wt.) in my bobbin. Can't seem to adjust the tension right. Is the thread too thin on the bottom? What's the best way to do this? The bottom line is a totally different color so I don't want the top thread to show on the bottom.

Donna, you might want to consider changing your top thread. According to Superior's own website, even though Perfect Quilter is listed as a machine quilting thread, "Perfect Quilter is not recommended for most longarm machines." I suspect it's meant to be used in domestic sewing machines only. It's awfully stiff to use in our machines - hard for the bobbin thread to pull it down into the quilt sandwich. If you continue with the Perfect Quilter, you might need to change your bobbin thread to match.

Good instincts, Hitomi. Most everyone was right...Superior does caution that the 17 weight is not suitable for most longarm machines. Also the difference in the weight of your top & bobbin threads was just too great for even Millie to overcome. It's great that you did not get discouraged. Quilt on! Nancy

Archived