Need Design Ideas for Asian Quilt

Pretty quilt - just had to check it out. I have one coming up to do too. This one has solid setting squares that I am going to do fans in like Shanna (quiltmonkey) posted photos of a while back.

Maybe you could do a simple free-hand fan in the 1/4 square triangles, water - meander the background (I will be doing that too) and run some solid lines down through all of those squares.

I always like clam shells too - they would work. Looks like she did a great job of pressing and piecing this baby. Would be easy for SID. Love the outer border!

Finally - found it and got it to post! I like to "frame" things....

Bad at drawing with the pencil in paint sorry - but you can get the idea. Fill in the background with bamboo like leaves, fan in the center.

This is probably more than "medium" custom quilting, but it was what I saw.

I am sure others will have ideas too.

Good luck and be sure to post quilted photos - very pretty quilt!

Judi--great designs! Love the bamboo idea.

This top is not screaming "Asian" except for a few of the fabric choices and the elegance of the colors. If your customer wants it to say more, your challenge is to find some Asian designs that will show in the quilting--really, you only have the larger dark squares to play in. As for Asian designs that may fit in that square, Shana's fans from a recent post are perfect. Also think about a ginkgo leaf, asian cloud, stylized crane, bamboo, cherry blossoms, Chinese-style wave, lotus flower, etc. Pick a few and place in the square. I think a gold thread would make the designs get some notice.

The background pale fabric could be filled and the chains CC'd--which is a classic sashiko design. Maybe pumpkin seed both the background and the chains. (That would be my preference if it was mine to do--especially if they want medium custom.)

Well, I've muddied the waters enough!:D I drew many Asian designs for a quilt a few years ago and will be happy to take a photo or two of them to send to you if you are interested. My email addy is below.....

I'm with Linda on this one. I have a hard time with Asian style so other than bamboo and ginko leaves I'm not much help on design ideas. I was thinking something sashiko. I didn't think this quilt read Asian really well either. Gold thread would make it more Asain.

Linda I'd love a copy of your photo of those Asian designs. I know I'm going to end up with one eventually and I'll be really stuck!

It's actually a pattern from the 'Nickel Quilts' book. I agree with you that the pattern itself doesn't evoke an Asian feel, which is probably why I decided I needed your help with this one. Although if you saw it in person, the champagne colored background with the soft teals and greens are very beautiful and do give it a special feel.

I like your ideas, Judi, of the 'Shana fan' in the large squares and I like to frame things, too. Clamshells are a great idea. Linda, I loved your idea of doing a sashiko type of design on the background -- that would give the quilt a big lift toward the Asian feel, and you had many good suggestions for what to put in the large squares. Heidi, I was thinking gold thread, too; something that won't take away from the colors, but can be seen/not seen. Sylvia, I probably shouldn't have said 'medium custom', I just meant that the quilt is intended to be used as a functional quilt and not a show quilt.

Thanks for your help -- I'll keep ready posts if anyone has other ideas, as it will take me awhile to load this quilt.

Archived