LA & disabilities

Still researching here! You all are so knowledgeable on so many topics! This may be a sensitive aubject for some but I know many of you may have physical issues to deal with, or maybe a LAing friend who does. I'm having to confront this subject head on because I have rhuematoid arthritis (10 years now), compounded by an old lower back & neck injury. One of the reasons I started looking a LA's was because I have to be careful with the joints in my hands, and I have trouble sitting or standing for very long. They aren't gone yet but handquilting is starting to take it's toll, but I am determined I'm not giving up my quilting! I'm perfectly comfortable talking about these things and would really appreciate any info or wisdom from any one here! For instance in one of the weshots I saw a saddle stool. Sorry I can't mention your name here, but I'd have to close this to find it! You'll know who you are! :D

I know what you are talking about as I have FMS and cannot sit or stand for long periods of time. I use my saddle stool every day and it is awesome, don't know what I'd do with it. Just wish I had a slick floor to roll her on. A lady at a shop I go to often has a handicap lady in a wheelchair she uses hers to do pattern and panto's. Guess this will only work if you have use of your feet and legs though.

Still have those! My finger & wrist joints and the sitting, standing are the main issues for now. Have a concern on the handles and which way it's more comfortable for my wrists to be turned. oh, and walking very far, fast or for very long. I use a walker with a seat for things like short shopping trips, but I'll rent a scooter for the show for example. I do fine in short spurts but time catches up with me quickly! I got to try out a machine about a month ago and was actually able to stand for longer than I thought I would. I think it was the way I was moving, ( dancing?) with the machine. I didn't realize I was doing it until the lady that owns the machine told me I was doing that right, it was just a natural thingy to be doing.

Guest Linda S

There are many issues you will run into with quilting and disabilities. I bought my Liberty because it is smaller and lighter weight than the Millennium, but it doesn't have the ergonomic handles. Actually, those ergonomic handles would get in the way of your field of vision on the Liberty. I have been in six car accidents -- people like to hit me -- so I have problems with my neck and my back. Being able to sit and quilt on the saddle stool is wonderful, but there are still things you must be able to do to be a longarm quilter. You will at times have to get under the machine to maintain the bobbin area, check the stitching on the back of your quilt, clean the rails, etc. The actual quilting part is a lot easier on the body on a longarm than it is on a DSM, but machine quilting is a bit of a physical job. I hope you can make it work as comfortably as possible for you.

Linda

Aha! See, that never crossed my mind. There would be days when that might be difficult but it would always be funny! Most often the getting out once I get under there! I'm glad have a good sense of humor, there's nothing like getting down on the floor and finding out I'm stuck unless I can crawl over to something to help me stand up! I live alone and like it fine until something like that happens and there's no one to see how silly I look but me! Putting this on my list of things to try out before I invest...Thanks!

I have a bad back and because of this I can't quilt on a daily basis. Whenever I use the LA, the next day I am very sore and not moving to quickly. The bending over to look at the bottom of the quilt and cleaning the bobbin area does take a toll. Frogging stitches is one of the worst things for me. Leaning over the bars of the LA is tough even with the hydraulic lift. I don't have the luxury of a saddle stool because I have no room for it - my space is limited.

I love my Millie, but if I had realized how much of a physical toll my body would take, I probably would have thought a lot longer before I purchased it.

This is just my take on things. Have you thought about the new George machine which you use while sitting down. You still have to move the fabric under the head instead of moving the head above the fabric, but at least you are sitting down. Maybe someone can give you more info about George.

I've already ruled out moving quilts with my hands. My back is only part of the problem. My hands are the main things this RA has effected. I kid around about my right hand having a mind of it's own because the fingers look like they kinda got distracted by something off to my right and strayed over to take a look. The last three fingers, (the triplets), on that hand won't go anywhere without each other. And then joints on that hand are a little fragile and motion limited. There are things I can do normally and things I can do, just have to go about it in a different way. I think being able to use a stool when I need to sit and then kick it out of the way when I need to sit a little would be ok. Bending over is fine as long as I can bend all the way over, stooping a little (like when doing dishes) is really rough. I tried out a machine and raised it all the way up and did fine on it. Now I need to experiment with the bobbin cleaning and those underneath things to see how I do there. This may be one of those things that God made grandchildren to help with. Little quilting laborers?:D

Hi Kenna,

My DH put masonite board down over our carpeting so I can roll around my sewing room. I think this would work for your quilting space too to give you a hard surface for the wheels. I just have to be careful as it is slick under my slippers.

woodsew

Kenna,

I have (or should I say I don't like to say that I do) Degenerative Disc Disease in my spine. I ruined my wrists being a meat cutter and have had surgery to fix a ruptured disc in the low back and have had a 2 level fusion in my neck.

I take medication every day to help me cope. BUT, the key to anything is that you still need to live life. I chose to continue my life and purchased a Green Millie. There are some days that I can't sew, much less anything else...............so I wait a until I can. I meditate, talk very little about my health (and tell others to just ignore my when my pain hits and that it will pass) think positive, and am currently doing injections into my facet joints in the neck. This has made all the difference in the world...........

The question is, how bad do you want to do it? I wanted it and thought about it for 5 years, now I'm loving my decision and my choice of machines.

Best of luck to you.

~Tish~

Tish an Woodsew,

Thanks for the encouragement and the advise! Floor surface is another thing I hadn't thought of. See, I need you Ladies! There's no way I' giving ups or giving in to the RA. I'm fortunate that I don't have anymore damage after 10 years than I do. Tish I go throught the same thing. Thanks goodness I'm on meds now that are working and only occasionally have real pain issues. Part of that is because I've learned when to make myself stop and rest an not to push to far. Handquilting has been a huge help for me because I can stop and sit but not feel like I'm not accomplishing something. But LAing is calling to me! I'm just more and more facinated but the designs and beauty that I see turned out on this site. Truely awe inspiring! I'm just going to keep plugging away at what I can do to learn about all this. PPP with pencil and paper! And see what God have instore for the rest of it! He doesn't give us talent for nothing!

I certainly admire all you ladies who are suffering one way or another with various problems and still soldiering on. I have back and neck problems from old injuries and sometimes I really can ache too. I am seriously thinking about investing in the Compu Quilter, one of the reasons being that it should take away some of the discomfort that seems to go along with Longarming. Keep up your good work, once we give in, we're finished.

I have had neck and shoulder pain for thirteen years. Usually the only time I have problems with itwhen quilting is when I am frogging or doing a lot of small backfill. I've learned to wear a cervical collar when I am doing that. I can turn my neck left, right and down, but holding it in any position for more than about a minute or tilting it backwards causes great pain and stiffness. The cervical collar supports my neck so I can work longer.

As far as having to get under the machine to fix the bobbin or check the stitching, after a while you learn to pull the bobbin out by feel. A lot of quilters set a long mirror on the back table so they can see the quilt back without getting down on their hands and knees. I keep a lamp under the table so I can see better. After a while you only have to get down there for cleaning the bobbin area and if you have problems on the back.

Because I am short; just under five feet, I sit on a saddle stool. I get just enough height that I am a lot more comfortable. I love the saddle stool. It makes me sit up straight so that my back doesn't start hurting. I even lower it a bit and use it while I am stitching pantos. I just find a place in the panto that is a good place to pause, glance at the stitching to make sure it is okay, slide my chair down, and then continue on where I left off. I can stitch a lot longer if I use the stool.

The best thing to do is to take frequent breaks. At my house that is easily accomplished because I am either letting the dogs out, giving them a cookie, or filling their water bowl. I mustn't forget their tummy rubs either. No wonder I am so slow. If I do work too long, I pay for it that night. I sure do miss Vioxx!!!!!

You'll find ways to work if you just take it easy and learn your limits.

Phyllis Hughes

Liberty

Oklahoma City

The one thing I wish that I could add to my table is the hydrolic lift--not in the budget. I have had a neck injury that left some permanent nerve damage that affects my upper back, neck, hands, and arms. I found having the table higher helps me alot as I do so much custom work. I wear carpal tunnel braces when I do alot of ruler work even though I don't have carpal tunnel. I have elastic wraps for tennis elbow that I wear either above or below my elbow when I'm doing lots of SID or background filler they help prevent pain in my arms. Frequent breaks when doing detailed work are also a must. Overall freehand work seem easy on my body. I don't do very many pantos but they always make me feel a little stiff and I forget to blink so my eyes dry out:D. I love to put the music on and freehand.

Make sure you test drive the machines and spend some time doing it. When I tried the Mille is was like someone had given me wings compared to all the other brands. The adjustable handles are wonderful--wish they were on the panto side as well. I just knew this was the machine for me. It felt good. jeri

Jeri, you should look into some nerve blocks. It has made all the difference in the world!!!! They inject into the facet joints, thats where the nerves come out from the spine. Not quite sure how to discripe it.....but it works, unlike the injections into the disc area, those don't work.

I too test drove many different machines and found that the APQS was the best for me. Especially because it doesn't vibrate. I love my Greenie---JOY

Anyway, best of luck to all......keep happy thoughts, always:P

Tish

I have heal bone spurs in both of my feet. I had surgery on them about 2 years ago and it certainly helped and I thought, before I bought my long-arm, that I wouldn't have it problems especially with the mats on the floor. However, I've discovered that if I stand and quilt for 6-7+ hours, especially several days in a row, I'm usually almost in tears by the end of the 2nd day and ready to just sit with my ice bottles. I recently bought a a new pair of tennis shoes and that seems to have helped. I've sort of tried to do it sitting but, don't have the hang of it when it's edge to edge work and to keep myself moving at a steady pace. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Y'all (I'm from Texas) are all just great... what a terrific exchange, info we can all use. Ann, I never took Vioxx I've been on Celebrex for about 3 years now I guess, and it's terrific, I only need pain meds at night while I'm sleeping so I don't wake up hurting from laying in one position too long.

Making my list: Good shoes, frequent breaks, nerve blockers, Hydrolic lift, saddle stool, comfort mats, hard floors vs carpet, wrist braces, mirror, lamp....does the lamp under the frame help with shadows so you can see where you've been? that's a thought, huh? anyone else getting ideas here?

Kenna - All good advise here - I have just a little bit to add - to the mention

of the frogging..... when you need to rip out stitches - I use a needle nose

plyers, small one, to grab the top thread and then I snip my bobbin

thread as I am pulling. I find it hard to hang onto the thread when it has

such a very short tail. I always have this in my tool box drawer by the seam

ripper. Really helps!

I have bad knees and NEVER kneel, thank goodness my back and neck are

A.O.K. I am able to bend over and see my backing and I am very tall - long

armed - can easily reach the rails and such.

I would like to get a hard floor surface and a sadle stool sometime soon.

Maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas! I do lots of tight custom work

and it does make for a long day!

Good Luck with your search - test drive them - you will find that the APQS

machines move so nice and smooth, and look at the weights of the machine

too - there is a difference!

I saw a reference to it while researching machines on one of teh sites so I did a Google search for it. Google "saddle stool" & "saddle seat". There are some that are barstools so ignore those! There's a manufacturer in Australia that has one wth a back on it and vinyl or leather options with different colors. You'll know it when you see it!

PrincessStuck - Do a search up at the top of this page and you will find lots

of forums talking about Air compressors and such, canned air works too,

but looses it pressure pretty fast and adds up too--- $$$.

Saddle stool - looks like just as it is called - "Giddy-up!" They did have

some down in the APQS showroom to sit on and try out.

Archived